xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

HTML5/Homepage Social Feature

Lemona

• Volunteers

I am suggesting there to be a more social aspect integrated within HTML5/the xat homepage. 

How it could work:

Within an updates feature within the HTML5 chat, users would be able to post status updates that go to the xat homepage. The chat that the user posted the status update from will appear on the status update. See image example below:

hItbL6N.png'

Users are able to react to, favourite or report status updates. The categories at the top would allow users to view their favourite status updates, the most popular (most reacted to) as well as their own updates. Clicking on the users' avatar will lead to their xatspace.

Potential other features:

• Having a specific status update feed within the chat for a specific chat group, for main owners only (with settings as to what rank can view what) etc
  • Pinned status updates on the homepage (could be up to volunteers/admins as to what gets pinned)
  • To avoid spam, perhaps a limit of 3 status updates within 24 hours

Let me know what you think! :$ 

• Award 2
  • Cool 1
  • Like 1

• Volunteers
17 minutes ago, Nathan said:

What about just embedding forum status updates to the homepage ? @lemona what do you think about that?

I thought about that however I really like the fact that this could promote chats that people are currently at and allow any registered user to use this feature without having to make a forum account.

It's not a bad idea but I think having it integrated within a chat feature might be better. That being said, the homepage should promote the various platforms xat has to offer (wiki, forum etc) in a more visual and descriptive sense instead of having to click links from a header.

• Bot Service Providers

What about something like a promo status of some sort within chat settings or the new promo page where 

2 hours ago, lemona said:

Promote chats

The actual chat name is listed as the

Poster?

I like your suggestion, i do agree it would add more socialization 

Edited by Nathan

• Advanced Members

Who would be able to see this?

Would you only see your friend's updates?

Is it a paid feature like promoting chats?

Could see the benefit on it if the last question is right, you can post updates saying there is going to be a contest on your chat soon so everyone can come along and stuff, instead of just promoting your chat.

• Bot Service Providers

Dont think it should be a paid feature , just a “status” update maybe associated with a chat, rather than a user; since xats homepage focuses on groups , rather than individual users 

• Award 2

• Volunteers

From a moderator perspective, we may need an efficient way to contact users when we're removing their content, otherwise they might start posting "Who removed my message?", "Why was my message removed?"

On the forums, we can usually send the user a private message and it'll appear on their screen straight away. But I don't believe there's a simple equivalent on the chats other than PCing them - the record/thread of which disappears as soon as you refresh the chat and then you forget what happened.

We may need a new set of rules creating for this, which may need translating into several different languages.

Also, it could get messy if there's nobody immediately available to answer the reports, because it would reflect badly on the website as a whole. But I suppose it's up to admins to cover that.

• Bot Service Providers
Just now, Crow said:

From a moderator perspective, we may need an efficient way to contact users when we're removing their content, otherwise they might start posting "Who removed my message?", "Why was my message removed?"

On the forums, we can usually send the user a private message and it'll appear on their screen straight away. But I don't believe there's a simple equivalent on the chats other than PCing them - the record/thread of which disappears as soon as you refresh the chat and then you forget what happened.

We may need a new set of rules creating for this, which may need translating into several different languages.

Also, it could get messy if there's nobody immediately available to answer the reports, because it would reflect badly on the website as a whole. But I suppose it's up to admins to cover that.

maybe a process similar to moderator report when someone reports unfair ban?

• Bot Service Providers
On 4/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, Crow said:

we may need an efficient way to contact users when we're removing their content, otherwise they might start posting "Who removed my message?", "Why was my message removed?"

I confirm, this doesnt happen only in xat forums. :)

I like the idea, but adding stuff like that isnt same than other social networkings make their way already?

If it is related to updates and stuff like, why not embedding Facebook or Twitter? Better and easier.

Edited by xLaming