New login pages

Admin

• Advanced Members
41 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

Protection OFF should be equal to the „Country“ option.

It's not equal. I was not held before this change.

I am between two countries (France/Switzerland) everyday.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
24 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It's not equal. I was not held before this change.

I am between two countries (France/Switzerland) everyday.

i‘ve checked it again and it’s equal to that.

Were you moving between countries prior the change as well?

Ideally you would request a location update once you change the country to avoid being held.

• Advanced Members
46 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

Were you moving between countries prior the change as well?

Ideally you would request a location update once you change the country to avoid being held.

Yes I was moving between countries before the change.

Request a location update twice a day to avoid being held is maybe too much? A "Off" button is the solution.

• Award 4

• Volunteers
23 hours ago, Jedi said:

A "Off" button is the solution.

This solution is already "Country".

Country is protected = off & locked = off.

Nothing has changed between old login and new login system.

Not sure how you are getting held.

Are you held everytime you login or only once?

Was it happening on old login ? You probably didn't notice since we had no message.

--

Reminder about protect meaning:

• Internet provider: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = OFF

• IP address: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = ON

Edited by SLOom

• Volunteers
38 minutes ago, SLOom said:

This solution is already "Country".

Country is protected = off & locked = off.

Nothing has changed between old login and new login system.

Not sure how you are getting held.

Are you held everytime you login or only once?

Was it happening on old login ? You probably didn't notice since we had no message.

--

Reminder about protect meaning:

• Internet provider: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = OFF

• IP address: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = ON

It currently is set to Country: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = OFF. If a user logs in from a different country, they will automatically be held 5 days. Using a VPN will prove this. The old login page used to do this as well but like you said, it was less obvious as users had to attempt to transfer to tell. In Jedi's scenario, he moves between 2 different countries everyday so this option wouldn't be very ideal for him. 

I believe he is suggesting an off option so users can login anywhere in the world without this hold. This doesn't seem the most secure but if you still have to check your email to login, it may not be the worst thing. If other security options such as authentication were available, it'd also be more ideal for Jedi's scenario. :$ 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, lemona said:

It currently is set to Country: PROTECTED = ON, LOCKED = OFF. If a user logs in from a different country, they will automatically be held 5 days. Using a VPN will prove this. The old login page used to do this as well but like you said, it was less obvious as users had to attempt to transfer to tell. In Jedi's scenario, he moves between 2 different countries everyday so this option wouldn't be very ideal for him. 

I believe he is suggesting an off option so users can login anywhere in the world without this hold. This doesn't seem the most secure but if you still have to check your email to login, it may not be the worst thing. If other security options such as authentication were available, it'd also be more ideal for Jedi's scenario. :$ 

Yes, you're right, if you had changed country prior the new web login, you would've been held as well.

The security settings on login are related to E64 - which requires you to login by a link sent to the e-mail. So even if there was an OFF option, it wouldn't prevent you from being held if you change country.

As Lemona said, you were likely held on the old web too, but you just didn't notice as the held info message wasn't showing.

5 hours ago, lemona said:

I believe he is suggesting an off option so users can login anywhere in the world without this hold. This doesn't seem the most secure but if you still have to check your email to login, it may not be the worst thing. If other security options such as authentication were available, it'd also be more ideal for Jedi's scenario

It's questionsable whether this should be added or not, as this means less security when used unknowlingy and there are hardly people who are changing countries frequently.

• Advanced Members

Thank you for your clarification @SLOom @LaFleur

I was probably held with the old page too, I don't trade/transfer everyday, that's why I didn't notice.

xat is the only website I know with those kind of protections. Even my bank doesn't block me for connecting from another country. Is it possible to add another option "No protection" or "Google Auth protection ONLY"?

Without this option added, I will be most likely held forever :(.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
10 hours ago, Jedi said:

Even my bank doesn't block me for connecting from another country.

Very important and under represented point.

I've never understood why xat feels the need to have so many hoops to jump through to manage your own account (email changes, home location update, list goes on) and have more security measures than I can count on one hand like our xat accounts are the most important possessions in the world when more professional, important websites (like banks) realise that it's not necessary and something like 2FA is enough. 

Account protection that cannot be turned off and makes you held and you can't do anything about it is not a useful security feature.

Edited by Daniel
  • Award 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, Leandro said:

On the current login page, you can do this: Login on the account and then go back to the login option easily.

alGfkwb.png

On this new one, we can't do it without refreshing the page. Can this be changed or added? 

roNyrKt.png

Thanks for your valuable answer to me.