Sampling powers.

TinkerDoodle

• Advanced Members

Hey guys, I have a new suggestion. I don't know if this was suggested before but I figured light should be shown on this topic. This suggestion was inspired by @esteban22xs suggestion that can be found here.

So my suggestion is, we should be able to sample a power for a limited time to see if we really want it or not. For example, if you want to add the angel wings to a certain smile, or multiple smiles, you can sample angel, and see if you like how the wings look or not. And if you do like how it looks you can just buy angel. There can be countless reasons why people would like to sample a power. Yes bots offer this, but some chats don't have a bot or they can't afford a bot. Or some people don't even know xat5 even exists because they haven't really explored xat. Obviously there will be restrictions to this power such as:

• You can sample any power only once.
  • You can sample only 1 power at a time.(possibly more than one, up to the admins really).
  • You cannot sell/trade the sample powers. They will have the properties of tickle. 
  • If you already have the power, then you can't sample it. 
  • You can't sample a new power on release, you need to wait 1 week in order to sample the power(possibly sooner).
  • You can sample more than 1 group power to see the animations. This only applies to group powers, nothing else. 

I know this feature might not be added because it'll be a good bit of work for the admins. But I'm pretty interested in what you guys might think, so leave your opinions related to the topic below. 

Discuss.

Edit: I added a new bullet point. 

Side suggestion. 

We should be able to see emoticons in the chat scroll. Like /s Welcome! (Hi), the hi emoticon shows. It's really a QOL update but still. 

I'm just gonna be adding this to all my suggestions till it gets added. :'(

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Yes bots offer this, but some chats don't have a bot or they can't afford a bot. Or some people don't even know xat5 even exists because they haven't really explored xat.

They haven't explored xat but know what powers are so much so they want to sample them? Pretty much everyone knows Help exists and can click it at the top right and we can direct them to xat_test to test smilies.

You offered the ultimatum for your own suggestion. You can get someone else or a bot to test a certain smiley.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

It's pretty easy to find out that there are powers on xat. All you need to do is say power and a clickable link pops up, but I'm fairly certain there are people on xat that don't know a help chat exists also. 

What if they don't know someone with the power they want to test? Like gold for example, what if they want to see how gold would look like with their name, and feel it out and they're not really close with anyone to borrow gold. 

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

What if they don't know someone with the power they want to test? Like gold for example, what if they want to see how gold would look like with their name, and feel it out and they're not really close with anyone to borrow gold. 

Then they'll want to see how their name looks with gold so bad that they'll buy the power. #business

• Volunteers

Supposing the sample lasts 24h, you might be able to test each power in a year. In a year, about 50 new powers would be released, which means 50 days more...+7 +1 and then testing one every week.

So you would be able to test every power of xat only by buying about 420 days. Plus one each week for the new ones.

I'm not really sure you'll be more inclined to buy a 50k+ power after testing it.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

There would obviously be limits in place to ensure that this feature is not abused. It's a no-brainer in my opinion. It's like test driving a car, and it could increase power purchases.

It lets people test powers themselves without using a bot. Our reliance on bots is too strong, and people can't test all the powers by using a bot.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

There would obviously be limits in place to ensure that this feature is not abused. It's a no-brainer in my opinion. It's like test driving a car, and it could increase power purchases.

It lets people test powers themselves without using a bot. Our reliance on bots is too strong, and people can't test all the powers by using a bot.

yes thats true, bots can do like 95% though, but what if people ask to test temp mod? should we give them temp owner on xat5 so they can test? since that is a testing chat! obviously that would be a no, but thats what people will be asking next

• Volunteers

I'd be more interested in testing group powers like blastde, blastban and horror, for example.

"Two Blastde powers assigned unlock a second animation, four unlock a third, and eight unlock a fourth." --xat Wiki

For a power that costs 2500-2800 xats fairtrade value, it's expensive to purchase all eight blastdes without seeing their animations beforehand. And the bot can't test them either. [If there is a way to see the animations, please let me know - it would help me a lot.] =)

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yup, just say !test or !say on a boy to test and mix smilies/powers :d 

• Advanced Members
35 minutes ago, FrozenZuke said:

Yup, just say !test or !say on a boy to test and mix smilies/powers :d 

Like I mentioned before, some people don't have bots, or they don't really know that there's a test chat. And your can't test group powers, or gold with the bots as well. 

5 hours ago, Crow said:

I'd be more interested in testing group powers like blastde, blastban and horror, for example.

"Two Blastde powers assigned unlock a second animation, four unlock a third, and eight unlock a fourth." --xat Wiki

For a power that costs 2500-2800 xats fairtrade value, it's expensive to purchase all eight blastdes without seeing their animations beforehand. And the bot can't test them either. [If there is a way is to see the animations, please let me know - it would help me a lot.] =)

Sadly there's no way to see their animations, you can sit around help and xat5 and wait till these animations trigger. But this is where my suggestion comes in, if sampling was added, then you'd be able to take out 8 blastde and test out the animations before purchase.

• Volunteers
2 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Sadly there's no way to see their animations, you can sit around help and xat5 and wait till these animations trigger. But this is where my suggestion comes in, if sampling was added, then you'd be able to take out 8 blastde and test out the animations before purchase.

So you would be able to assign sample powers...? Seems more and more complicated.

Henry also pointed out other issues... That's not a bad idea, really, but I don't think that can be added, that would be too complicated to restrict!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Crow said:

For a power that costs 2500-2800 xats fairtrade value, it's expensive to purchase all eight blastdes without seeing their animations beforehand. And the bot can't test them either. [If there is a way to see the animations, please let me know - it would help me a lot.] =)

Previews will be on wiki soon.

I was too busy lately.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
9 hours ago, Crow said:

If there is a way to see the animations, please let me know - it would help me a lot

3 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Sadly there's no way to see their animations

Here you go, in order:

xK5QyOx.gif

ww0lFwi.gif

F96UJEh.gif

SGWcOSp.gif

Also Jedi, I submitted these in an edit request.

• Award 2

• Volunteers
30 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Previews will be on wiki soon.

I was too busy lately.

3 minutes ago, Stah said:

Thank you both! (hug)Time to sex up my chat!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Like I mentioned before, some people don't have bots, or they don't really know that there's a test chat. And your can't test group powers, or gold with the bots as well. 

How will they find a feature to test a power or smiley if they can't find a bot? 

Also, if they want test a power first person  to buy it, why not just buy it, and if they don't like the power they can sell it, plus thanks to the xat wiki we can see the functions of the powers.

• Volunteers
37 minutes ago, Stah said:

Thank you so much Stah! I don't want to ask you everything about that but could you also test the other blast animations and make different requests?

If not, that's not a problem, we'll handle this on xat5 asap. Thank you very much, anyway!

PS: I completely apologize for this comment that didn't add anything to the subject.

• Advanced Members

A trial would be a good idea. Most of the popular products in the world today are able to be tried (trial) for 30 days and after that period you have to purchase. This wouldn't be too bad I guess.

• Advanced Members
55 minutes ago, FrozenZuke said:

How will they find a feature to test a power or smiley if they can't find a bot? 

Also, if they want test a power first person  to buy it, why not just buy it, and if they don't like the power they can sell it, plus thanks to the xat wiki we can see the functions of the powers.

Like I mentioned before, finding that there are powers on xat is fairly easy, but there are users on xat that don't know there are bots or can afford a bot.

Like I mentioned before, some powers are expensive to just buy and sell, gold, boot, angel, clear, namegrad, ect. Samples will allow the common xat user to decide if they want a power or not. 

1 hour ago, Sydno said:

So you would be able to assign sample powers...? Seems more and more complicated.

They will have the same exact functions, but once the sample runs out it can say "trail has ended, click here to buy power" or something like this. 

4 hours ago, Henry said:

b) Users wouldn't be able to test combined smileys regardless (from two different powers they might not own and would have to sample both at the same time, but with the current limitations would not be possible).

My limitations can be changed if they do decide to add this, maybe someone can sample all the powers at once to see how ep looks, or something. The limits are up to xat to decide. I added them to create an example. 

About the bot, see what I told zuke. 

• Volunteers
12 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

They will have the same exact functions, but once the sample runs out it can say "trail has ended, click here to buy power" or something like this.

And how would it unassign it if you don't decide to buy it after the trial? For now, this is not possible.

That's pretty hard to set limits to this. If you restrict it too much, no will use the trial. Yet, if you don't restrict it enough, people would just abuse it. Id est, creating an account per day to sample everypower and have a constant everypower on temporar accounts. Supposing you won't be allowed neither to sample smiley powers, nor to assign sample powers... I don't see the final purpose. :(

I actually think finding an equilibrium is not even possible, unfortunately.

• Advanced Members
8 minutes ago, Sydno said:

And how would it unassign it if you don't decide to buy it after the trial? For now, this is not possible.

That's pretty hard to set limits to this. If you restrict it too much, no will use the trial. Yet, if you don't restrict it enough, people would just abuse it. Id est, creating an account per day to sample everypower and have a constant everypower on temporar accounts. Supposing you won't be allowed neither to sample smiley powers, nor to assign sample powers... I don't see the final purpose. :(

I actually think finding an equilibrium is not even possible, unfortunately.

Read above I said they could make you pay a fee for the trial

• Volunteers
2 minutes ago, FrozenZuke said:

Read above I said they could make you pay a fee for the trial

I don't think people would pay for a trial, honestly, if you don't like a power, you can sell it so you loose few xats. I truly doubt the trial price would be higher than the loss of xats after reselling the power. It means people won't use the trial and would just buy it directly.

• Advanced Members

People can see smilies on wiki.

They can use glow generator or see others glow.

About pawns, they can see on wiki, others users.

And flix and blast, it will be on wiki asap.

To finish, there are so many chats with a bot, I'm sure they can see animated powers.

• Award 1