Post an interesting fact here!

Paya

• Advanced Members

Hey! Did you know that if you were to remove every bone in someone's body you would have enough bones to make up a whole human skeleton?!?!? :o 

Post your crazy and interesting facts here!

Spoiler

This is a joke. Here is the real fact: 

Our visual system is made up of photoreceptors called rods and cones. Humans possess three types of cones that allow us to see and process wavelengths of light on the visual spectrum (allowing us to perceive colour). Colour blindness is often due to individuals missing a certain type of cone, or that cone having a problem with its sensitivity. 

Due to their much higher sensitivity to light, rods are photobleached during the day and are therefore only used at night (or in a dark environment).

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of information on how we see! 

• Volunteers

The heaviest human being ever recorded was Jon Brower Minnoch (September 29, 1941 – September 10, 1983), an American who, at his peak, was weighing approximately 1,400 lb (635 kilograms; 100 stone). Source.

I'm sure he'd be on xat if he were still alive. nc1sug.png

• Advanced Members

If someone could post an interesting fact that'll result in more people answering this thread that'd be great.

Seriously, there's so many people here and only three of you have interesting facts?! :( 

• Volunteers
40 minutes ago, Paya said:

If someone could post an interesting fact that'll result in more people answering this thread that'd be great.

Seriously, there's so many people here and only three of you have interesting facts?! :( 

If your name was Admin, every man and his dog would be replying to this thread. k0oupw.png And you'd have +5 reputation.

Here's another fact: the tallest confirmed person on Earth ever is Robert Wadlow (February 22, 1918 – July 15, 1940), an American who measured 8 ft.11.1 inches before dying at the age of 22. Source.

• Award 2

• Contributors

If you type /f in someone's PC it will automatically add them, so you don't have to click to add. Just click your friend list afterwards and they will appear there.

Does anyone know how this became a thing? (If so, then do tell. If not, I can tell you).

xat facts. 

• Advanced Members
On 6.5.2016 at 10:50 PM, Henry said:

There used to be a flying reptile that was as tall as a giraffe.

Both of your eyes have large blind spot, your brain just fills it in with whatever it thinks should be there.

http://i.imgur.com/wvNDrTW.jpg (mind=blown).

Tried the blind spot thing and it really works. Interesting! You get ma like.

Its even more intense here: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--IwmjTE1Q--/18lr88dc9oy1fgif.gif

• Advanced Members

Hmmm, if you guys like illusions then I have another interesting fact for you!

This is known as the 'negative afterimage' effect. 

1dea492683192fb1c09a01ace88b2113.jpg

Stare at this for about thirty seconds, then look to a white surface (maybe a piece of paper or a wall or something). You should notice that when you look to the white surface and blink the colours become inverted (so red will appear green, blue will appear yellow etc). A theory behind this is that we view colours in terms of opponent processes- red vs green, blue vs yellow, black vs white channels. This means that when we view something that is green, the red channel is inhibited and vice versa. When you stare at this picture you fatigue these channels so that they can no longer inhibit the other when you look at a white surface (which contains all wavelengths of light available!) That is why you see the opposite colour. 

I hope that made some sense. 

• Award 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...