Contests requiring approval

Steven

• Advanced Members

Hi everyone, I wanted to hear what people think of the contests (and possibly ID sales) sections requiring new threads to be approved by a forum mod before they can show up. From my understanding this was done to prevent contests that break the rules, but Ryan has been an active forum mod and myself and the Contests mains are active in the section to report anything breaking the rules anyway. I feel that this process just slows down things unnecessarily; there are other ways to make sure rules are followed.

Do you think requiring approval from a mod is a good thing? Or is it unnecessary? I'd like to hear more opinions on this!!!!!!!!!!!

• Volunteers

I think it's somewhat unnecessary and giving forum mods more work. I think many active users would report contests that break the rules anyway so this wouldn't be as needed. Users reporting would make it much easier for forum mods/volunteers to view what is being violated. 

• Advanced Members

I also think this is a little unnecessary. 

We have forum moderators for a reason; so if something is out of line, they can correct it and/or tell the user what the issue was regarding the thread.

Amongst the many users that could also see the problem with the thread, and help correct it.

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Lemona said:

I think it's somewhat unnecessary and giving forum mods more work. I think many active users would report contests that break the rules anyway so this wouldn't be as needed. Users reporting would make it much easier for forum mods/volunteers to view what is being violated. 

Agreed. We (the chat mains who use this board, or even the mods) always contact the contest hosts if they don't follow the rules anyway. The old system allows them to change their post so they fit the rules (or give the prize to a holder, etc) and I feel like that's better than blocking their thread and leaving them confused about what they did wrong.

• Advanced Members

I don't think it's needed, the odds of a false contest or doing something wrong are smaller of the chance than someone doing something right. Also, if that does happen it's not hard to report it.

• Advanced Members

It was good in the beginning but as you said, it isn't needed anymore. I've worked on IPS forums before and the report system is very advanced. There is a small chance of a bad contest being made and an even lesser one of it staying up for more than 10 minutes before a moderator got to it.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Azaza said:

I think it's not really necessary. Moderators are always around and if someone breaks the rules then just PM a moderator and they will take care of it. 

Yeah, I agree

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Steven said:

Hi everyone, I wanted to hear what people think of the contests (and possibly ID sales) sections requiring new threads to be approved by a forum mod before they can show up. From my understanding this was done to prevent contests that break the rules, but Ryan has been an active forum mod and myself and the Contests mains are active in the section to report anything breaking the rules anyway. I feel that this process just slows down things unnecessarily; there are other ways to make sure rules are followed.

Do you think requiring approval from a mod is a good thing? Or is it unnecessary? I'd like to hear more opinions on this!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't they give permission to approve contests too, Trusted Prize Holders, Contributors and Contests Owners? this would take less strain on the forum mods themselves 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Pretty much agree with everyone else, the whole community (not just the contest "people") are here to tell them what the guidelines are and how to host a contest on the forum successfully. And as Steven said, blocking their thread leaving them confused is hardly a good solution.

• Advanced Members

ID Sales I can understand the need for approval.

Contests however, rarely do you get a bad contest, and if you do, I wouldn't let it go un-noticed for more than 24hours, I don't really think you should need approval to post on that section.