Potential Security Risk

Godfather

• Members

Hello all,

I think there is a slight security risk when it comes to accounts on mobile. I have authentication activated on my account, and when I login on xats mobile app it doesn't ask me for a code. This is a problem because anyone can just login to someone's account on mobile if they have acquired a victim's password somehow.

When logging in moible, xat should ask for your authentication code at least once everytime you login. Why this needs to be added? Well because if your account gets compromised somehow, anyone can just login to that account and steal xats or days and transfer it to themselves.

I really hope that this is fixed because accounts with authentication activated are vulnerable on mobile.

Edited by Fury

• Advanced Members
13 minutes ago, Fury said:

And what if someone gets access to someone else's email?

Spoiler

Account Locking - xat.wiki/Account_protection

When you have this option enabled, xat will block any login attempts that are not coming from your home location. You can only log in from your home location, no matter what. To enable this setting, you must be at your home location. If you have moved locations or changed your internet service provider (ISP) since you registered, you will need to request a location update via ticket.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Members
On 10/21/2018 at 11:20 PM, Leandro said:

Account Locking - xat.wiki/Account_protection

When you have this option enabled, xat will block any login attempts that are not coming from your home location. You can only log in from your home location, no matter what. To enable this setting, you must be at your home location. If you have moved locations or changed your internet service provider (ISP) since you registered, you will need to request a location update via ticket.

What if you wish to login at a different location because of whatever circumstance? The 2FA is there for a reason. In addition, I think the email to confirm your device should be removed from the sign in system and maybe replaced with a "a new device has logged on to your account, see if this is you" type of email because no other site has the need to do this as far as I'm aware. It's ones responsibility to secure a their own account in measures they seem fit, and it's not in the hands of the website to baby you to your security.