Username and ID Verification

Harrison

• Advanced Members

I really like being able to link your xat username and ID to your forum profile, but what's to stop someone from putting someone else's or a false ID and/or Username as their own?

There should be some sort of Username and ID verification so no identity theft, scamming or phising can occur. The easiest way for xat to implement verification is make it so when a user logs in to their xat account (not forum) and scroll down to "more", there's a box to put your forum username. After linking your forum account to your xat account a notification would appear on your forum profile asking you to confirm the link. After confirming, your ID and Username would automatically appear on your forum profile. To remove the profile link, a user would have to make the box blank in the forum username box under "more" settings or detach it via "edit profile" on their forum profile. 

Edit: People who don't support this idea may use the argument that moderators can punish people who impersonate others. How would you know to report someone if you don't know they are impersonating someone else? Verification would prevent impersonations from happening in the first place. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Award 5

• Advanced Members
23 minutes ago, Rant said:

Perhaps the forum could require the authenticator code you use to login to the xat chat account to verify you own it?

If that happens, it should be another additional method: not all users have authentication turned ON and it wouldn't be so pratical to require it from that users.

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, BeaterUser said:

If that happens, it should be another additional method: not all users have authentication turned ON and it wouldn't be so pratical to require it from that users.

This has nothing to do with Authentication and doesn't require Authentication to be on... 

My suggestion would be available to every user. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I like this suggestion this way users can't just use someone's xat regname and id for malicious intent. 

I hope this would be added or be updated on the user's account settings.

• Advanced Members

Linking the xat user database with the forum was considered, but it won't be happening at this time. Great idea though!

The username and identification fields on the forum are just meant for general information. If a user is misrepresenting themselves, those fields will be cleared and the user will be banned.

• Advanced Members

I have something on my websites that has this, but using a bot to confirm the user, http://prntscr.com/abtlse it gives you a randomly generated code, maybe (if its possible) to allow us to put our regname/ID on the login under more it gives us a verification ode which we would put on the forum, when we are adding our xat info

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I have something on my websites that has this, but using a bot to confirm the user, http://prntscr.com/abtlse it gives you a randomly generated code, maybe (if its possible) to allow us to put our regname/ID on the login under more it gives us a verification ode which we would put on the forum, when we are adding our xat info

xat could make their own version of this. They could set up a webpage that verifies your account and gives you a code to put into the forum and it will then verify you from there.

• Advanced Members
Just now, Stah said:

xat could make their own version of this. They could set up a webpage that verifies your account and gives you a code to put into the forum and it will then verify you from there.

Exactly, which is why I was providing an example I use, but yes xat should make their own version of this

• Members
2 hours ago, Paul said:

I would suggest Paul's idea. He has this going on on xaters and it is reliable to confirm one's identity.

• Advanced Members

I agree something should be done to ensure people don't steal the identity of others, but are the suggestions above really necessary? The chances of it happening to begin with are small, and if it does happen, all you'd have to do is report it to a mod/vol/admin, and the issue would be resolved.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I agree something should be done to ensure people don't steal the identity of others, but are the suggestions above really necessary? The chances of it happening to begin with are small, and if it does happen, all you'd have to do is report it to a mod/vol/admin, and the issue would be resolved.

The point is that some users might not know that it's an imposter because they see the Username and ID and assume that it must be real because it's a xat website. If you don't know someone isn't real how would you know to report them?

5 hours ago, Paul said:

I was thinking about suggesting it this way... this would be a good verification method too. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
6 hours ago, Ryan said:

I guess technically it's not really necessary, but maybe it's just semi-random user that's being impersonated? No-one will know the difference.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Members

I am bumping this thread.

A user was just impersonated because there is no verification. The only way we found out is because @Lemona asked the impersonated user about a post they made. If Lemona hadn't asked about the post, we wouldn't have known the impersonator wasn't really who he said he was and he could've done a lot of harm, considering the user who he impersonated is a high rank at an important official chat. 

• Award 1

• Volunteers
3 hours ago, Harrison said:

A user was just impersonated because there is no verification. The only way we found out is because @Lemona asked the impersonated user about a post they made. If Lemona hadn't asked about the post, we wouldn't have known the impersonator wasn't really who he said he was and he could've done a lot of harm, considering the user who he impersonated is a high rank at an important official chat. 

Make that two users - a second account was also deleted today. I guess we're not naming people, but they impersonated one of the 'richest' people on xat.