New Smiley Makers!

Dann

• Advanced Members

Hello Xatters,

I know there has been a leap of absence on my part with suggestions but lately I've been thinking about minor improvements that could help take xat a long way, and as the title says, one of those improvements to me would be.... new Smiley Makers!

I think bringing in new smiley makers will not only assist in bringing out quality weekly powers but it will bring in more unique styles that accommodate to xat. There is a lot of talent on xat, and I'm sure finding some people to assist in this aspect would not be as hard.

I know that on all my years being on xat, the smiley makers could be counted with your fingers. Currently there are only 2/3 active members in that team(from what the public can see). I think a little bit more spice to that team will bring a lot of benefits... I have outlined some below:

Benefits:

• More creativity
  • More Ideas/thoughts
  • Different styles
  • Better quality products ( as you would have more time for smiley makers to work)
  • Busy smiley makers that are also ticket volunteers will have more time to work on both as a whole.
  • And much more that is obvious but needless to mention.

There are many ways to acquire people who would help benefit, or are fit for these positions. And I'd be glad to go deeper into discussion in regards to how.

What are your thoughts? Do you think More Smiley Makers would be positive for xat, or is xat doing fine as it is?

This post was not made to bash anyone or xat products, please refrain from being judgmental in regards to peoples work. For the sake of this post

Edited by Dann

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, HelperNate said:

This has been brought up in Contributors Discussion before in April's logs, but we have not reached a conclusion.

Interesting,

Thanks for bringing that to light. IF you do not mind my asking, Is this discussion something that is ongoing and actively being discussed or has it elapsed and a conclusion has not been reached(no activity/responses in the thread)?

Considering this was brought up 4/5 months prior, I believe a decision on this should be considered rather important, and a resolution should be concluded.

Now don't get me wrong... I'm SURE the contributors team is rather busy... Maybe one of the topics that should be brought up next is if there should be a time limit on how long these discussions last, depending on importance... but we could leave that for another topic XD

Again, thank you for bringing that up. @HelperNate

• Wiki Editors

The Contributor topic referred to in HelperNate's reply is different from our regular discussions. That type of topic is usually only personal feedback, meaning that we do not usually post a conclusion. So I'd like to clarify that it's not delayed, nor neglected by Contributors. Why? Because our hands are tied. Contributors and Volunteers may post suggestions and feedback, but it's ultimately up to the administrators to decide what to do with the suggestions and feedback they receive.  Votes and conclusions are usually added to topics where we believe it's what the administrators are seeking for.

On topic, I do think that we could benefit from new Smiley Makers, but the quality of their work needs to be reviewed carefully, as well as their history with xat (which takes time.)

Edited by Arthur
Typographical error.
  • Award 3

• Advanced Members

I think it's about time we see new faces in the smiley maker section on xat. Though, I will point out one con for this: There would simply be too many people for one weekly power. Unless the time to make the power was increased and less powers were made, for example, a group of 5-10 smiley makes have a month to make a monthly combo of two powers, maybe then it would be acceptable to have more. Other than that, I don't think it's needed since xat reproduces powers way too much. Maybe if I find more inspiration then I will make a more in dept suggestion in relation to your topic. Completely bad idea? No, just that bit is flawed.

• Cool 1

• Wiki Editors
2 hours ago, CarlosDesigns said:

I think it's about time we see new faces in the smiley maker section on xat. Though, I will point out one con for this: There would simply be too many people for one weekly power. Unless the time to make the power was increased and less powers were made, for example, a group of 5-10 smiley makes have a month to make a monthly combo of two powers, maybe then it would be acceptable to have more. Other than that, I don't think it's needed since xat reproduces powers way too much. Maybe if I find more inspiration then I will make a more in dept suggestion in relation to your topic. Completely bad idea? No, just that bit is flawed.

In addition to your reply, I'd like to add that it's rather ingenous to think that Smiley Makers have a period of time to create a new power that they must comply with. It does not work that way as far I know. Plus you should know that there is a number of finished powers that have not yet been released, so even if this was a requirement, they could simply send up one or another and have another week to work on something else.

Edited by Arthur
  • Award 1

• Advanced Members

It's all well and good saying new smiley makers would be great, but who exactly are these people you want to become smiley makers? As far as I've ever seen, anyone who expresses genuine interest is considered. For example, Junior was made a smiley maker after he created quite a few awesome smiley sets (in flash!).

Also, the benefits listed in the OP generally equate to the same thing "more creativity" equals "more ideas/thoughts" and "different styles" which leads me to believe even you struggled to come up with why we need new smiley makers. xat has no problem churning out new smiley powers every week and even if they did, I see no one actively posting good ideas that aren't GIFs.

Edited by Daniel
  • Award 3

• 2 weeks later...