Quote Function

• Wiki Editors

I feel like this type of feature wouldn’t work on something like xat. This is really aimed at people replying to specific messages likely at a later time than when it was sent so that other participants know what the reply is towards. xat doesn’t really work like this, it’s a real-time chatting experience and conversations are had in the moment, therefore I don’t think this feature would see much use. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Wiki Translators
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I feel like this type of feature wouldn’t work on something like xat. This is really aimed at people replying to specific messages likely at a later time than when it was sent so that other participants know what the reply is towards. xat doesn’t really work like this, it’s a real-time chatting experience and conversations are had in the moment, therefore I don’t think this feature would see much use. 

I remember the old days at xat_test when there were so many people around and talking to each other in main chat simultaneously, so they'd @ each other so everybody would know who the message was directed to. The same thing always happened to me and my friends on WhatsApp groups and the "reply" option resolved this problem. You do have a point, though, and I would personally don't like the way he represented the idea - I'd personally want this to be implemented similarly to WhatsApp for Mobile and Web, rather than a "quote" icon next to each message (which causes visual polution to the chat interface, in my opinion).

• Award 1
  • Members

Like Daniel mentioned, xat is a very fast paced chatting platform, so everyday use of this power to quote typical posts doesn't seem so useful.

Perhaps instead of a one-time use, this power could be used to save, say, up to 5 quotes from users that could function as a form of verification or validation. For example, since xat already employs a search feature (albeit not frequently used), this would allow you to log something a specific user said, including their username, ID, and the timestamp of the original post.

This would be very useful for proving bans and avoiding occasional screenshot fraud.