Make avatar shadow optional

Flake

• Advanced Members

Not sure if it's already been suggested, but I see no reason as to why the avatar shadow shouldn't be optional for users with an xatspace. Simply place a checkable box for when you click your name similarly to "Sign me in automatically" and "Hide inappropriate words". I'm assuming quite a large amount of people who have an xatspace may not want to have a shadow in their avatar; they shouldn't have to choose one or the other and they shouldn't be discouraged from creating an xatspace.

Edited by Flake
  • Award 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Done! 1

• Contributors

Great suggestion. However, it’s not that simple as “Hide inappropriate words.”

Your J2 packet plays a big role here for your profile shadow and would require server configuration and finding, or generating values that haven’t been used which requires a bit work.

If we allow users to edit some that J2 value (you can already in some aspects) then there’s no telling what some users can send to the sever or misconfigure some of that setting to do something harmful, or just screw up in some sort of way.

A power would be nice to toggle on and off, but would still require coding work and some modifications from the server. Along side that, modifying packets that when you toggle it on, it vanishes for everyone, toggle off, appears for everyone. There’s a lot of configuration that goes in here. 

I have asked XeR, SlOom and the Admins to take a look and give some more input with useful information here, as it would be something useful to have on HTML5 and Flash.

Overall, this is a nice a suggestion and would be more than happy to help work on.

I guess the big-bosses don't want it.

Edited by Maverick
  • Confused 2

• Advanced Members
25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Great suggestion. However, it’s not that simple as “Hide inappropriate words.”

Your J2 packet plays a big role here for your profile shadow and would require server configuration and finding, or generating values that haven’t been used which requires a bit work.

If we allow users to edit some that J2 value (you can already in some aspects) then there’s no telling what some users can send to the sever or misconfigure some of that setting to do something harmful, or just screw up in some sort of way.

A power would be nice to toggle on and off, but would still require coding work and some modifications from the server. Along side that, modifying packets that when you toggle it on, it vanishes for everyone, toggle off, appears for everyone. There’s a lot of configuration that goes in here. 

I have asked XeR, SlOom and the Admins to take a look and give some more input with useful information here, as it would be something useful to have on HTML5 and Flash.

Overall, this is a nice a suggestion and would be more than happy to help work on.

if ((d0 & 32) != 0) {
	this.Av.filters = todo.DropFilter;
};

technically it would be as easy as a "hide inappropriate words" button lol

have the button toggle the bit

server reads if j2 d0 & 32 sent by client and then changes the server generated d0 depending only on that

then sends to everybody else

ez pz

• Award 1

• Volunteers

Asked for my opinion, so let's go. (my post was a bit long, took 10 min to write (d) )

33 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Let's not talk about that on there since most of the people do not know about "packet" and stuff related to client/server.

About server configuration; I really don't think we need to touch about that since we can most likely disable it on Flash/HTML5 side. 

Example on Flash:

This is currently the code for the Shadow :

if ((_local_8 & 0x20) != 0){
	this.Av.filters = todo.DropFilter;
};

Inside of this code, we still can add the the condition: If the user has "show avatar shadow" enabled, then the filter is applied, else it won't apply it. 

A power would be nice to toggle on and off, but would still require coding work and some modifications from the server.

Why would you turn a free thing into a power ? Oh well, we had rankscroll as power when scroll is a free feature .. Nvm.

The best idea to get this working is doing like for "hide inappropriate word" (as Flake said) so when it's checked, it will disable the shadow and if you un-check it, it will enable it again. No need for a power unless if it requires a lot of work and then they want to make profit on it. (I doubt it) 

it vanishes for everyone, toggle off, appears for everyone.

We are talking for our profile and not for everyone. (I guess ?)

IMO I prefer to have it for me only and not for everyone because it's a "personal" feature. 

There’s a lot of configuration that goes in here. 

Not much as you think. Pretty sure it would take less than 10 - 20 min to finish all WITHOUT bugs.

as it would be something useful to have on HTML5

n8uUVMT.gif

Edited by SlOom
  • Award 1