• Volunteers

Hello,

i was wondering why the xat id field on the profile field/postbit of the forum was removed. Noticed that a while ago, but thought i mention it now. It was a good thing, since i easily could add and find people by /f id and p.chat them.

• Wiki Editors

I agree that it was a useful feature to add people and figure out people's ID's. However, I did see multiple cases where people abused this feature and made their Identification number as 12 or 699 for example. I am assuming this is why it was removed, even though we know it was obviously false. Referring back to @Harrison's thread here , if this feature gets added back, there needs to be some sort of way to stop these people from impersonating/abusing it. 

• Volunteers

Maybe it led to subconscious bias.

You might take an opinion more seriously if their ID is 1000, rather than 1511773659, for example. Although I suppose this happens anyway when you see a volunteer, moderator, etc. But I agree, they should bring it back! =)

• Advanced Members

What's to stop someone from setting their xat username to something they don't own? As far as I know there's no verification for that so why can we set our username but not ID? In fact, setting a fake username is more influential than a fake ID. If someone wanted to impersonate a volunteer for example, they would use the volunteer's xat username not their ID.

That being said, @Sydno's point about finding the regname is true and I don't really mind it was taken off, just curious why that was removed and not usernames. 

• Advanced Members

It was removed because there's no reason to have an ID field if there's a username field. If you have the username, you can find the ID. There was also a lot of abuse. On the flip side, I have seen almost no one set an incorrect username.

Another thing to note is that people often change their ID but keep their username. This is more future-proof (in case they forget to update their ID on the forum).

• Advanced Members
12 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

How can i find the id with the regname / how do i add people by their regname?

If i am right there is no option for that, is there?

Go to xat.me/x?name=username and the ID will show up. Then, do the /fID thing.