SN Suggestion?

Michael

• Moderators

Unfortunately that might not happen, i's are on lowercase and L's on uppercase to avoid personification, once you would be able to personificate someone's account by using lowercase L, which is similar to uppercase "i". Could be used with bad intentions.

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

• Wiki Editors

I agree it's annoying. But apparently, this was  introduced in order to avoid impersonation. For example, someone could pretend to be "Infinity" by registering "Lnfinity", where the "L" is lowercase. Whether it actually works as a measure to avoid that kind of situation is another story, though.

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Stif said:

Unfortunately that might not happen, i's are on lowercase and L's on uppercase to avoid personification, once you would be able to personificate someone's account by using lowercase L, which is similar to uppercase "i". Could be used with bad intentions.

You mean impersonation? Not personification, which is a literary device. 8-)

As others have alluded, changing the system could lead to increased numbers of scam and phishing tickets.

• Advanced Members

I agree to what has said about the impersonation issue. I have a solution though. Allow capital i's as I but the L's stay capital no matter what. There would be no way to impersonate now and we can have happy capital i's. For example:

If someone has the regname "Ioser" it would be logical that the l in loser is actually a capital i. Because if it was a lowercased L, by default it would have showed as a capatal L not l. 

Hope that wasn't confusing!

This isn't something that needs urgent alteration because we have all gotten used to the "L" "i" system by now but always fun to think of solutions and ideas :p

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Potato said:

I agree to what has said about the impersonation issue. I have a solution though. Allow capital i's as I but the L's stay capital no matter what. There would be no way to impersonate now and we can have happy capital i's. For example:

If someone has the regname "Ioser" it would be logical that the l in loser is actually a capital i. Because if it was a lowercased L, by default it would have showed as a capatal L not l. 

Hope that wasn't confusing!

This isn't something that needs urgent alteration because we have all gotten used to the "L" "i" system by now but always fun to think of solutions and ideas :p

Ima be honest, decent idea.

But I'd rather i's always be lowercase and you could just choose between l or L. There's more lowercase L's in names than there are capital I's...

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I've actually seen users using this method to impersonate users on chats in the past, as others have said users would use it for malicious reasoning.

I understand it urks you a lot, but you just have to get used to the way xat works.

• Advanced Members

What if it worked like the promo banner, and you have to send in a request to be able to have it lowercase? That way if it makes sense and it's reasonable, they can allow it, but if it's for malicious intentions, they can just deny it? I think this would be an easy solution, however I don't know how it would exactly work.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
40 minutes ago, Tox1c said:

[...] That way if it makes sense [...]

Does it?

The only reason you'd want to do this is so that you can have a name that... you can't have. If I have the name Daniel I don't want another person with the same name, whether I'm "worthy" enough to be impersonated or not.

• Award 1
  • Confused 2

• Advanced Members
On 5/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, Daniel said:

Does it?

The only reason you'd want to do this is so that you can have a name that... you can't have. If I have the name Daniel I don't want another person with the same name, whether I'm "worthy" enough to be impersonated or not.

If you already have the sn "Daniel" how would someone else impersonate that? For example, if you wanted it to be "Daniel" instead of "DanieL" , you could request that. If Michael wanted "Michael" instead of "MichaeL" , he could request that. Your point is 100% invalid and irrelevant?

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Tox1c said:

If you already have the sn "Daniel" how would someone else impersonate that? For example, if you wanted it to be "Daniel" instead of "DanieL" , you could request that. If Michael wanted "Michael" instead of "MichaeL" , he could request that. Your point is 100% invalid and irrelevant?

DANIEL <--- The "L"
DanieI  <---- The "i"

If the guy with the first shortname "DANIEL" decided to change it to "Daniel", we'd be stuck with "Daniel" (L) and "DanieI" (i)

• Advanced Members

Which is a perfect example of a shortname to deny, if you're trying to use an i to substitute an L, that's the whole point of it being denied. If it's an L and you want it lowercase, that's a whole different story. Daniei was changed to Daniei (using lowercase to demonstrate my point) once again, if it's a common name like Daniel or Michael, there's that exception. If it's only like that on a rare occasion, then there should be no clutter and it should be easy to pull through the requests. If I wanted TOXLC to look like TOXlC, then they could easily say no, because that isn't correct spelling, and etc you get the point. 

• Advanced Members

I think I may just be confused on your thought process, so let me try to understand: 

A user who has an L in their shortname, such as “AngeLo”, could file a request to change it to “Angelo”.

However, if someone were to buy the name “Angeio” and request for it to be changed to “AngeIo”, they’d be denied because that’s the improper spelling? 

If that’s correct, people who desire i’s in their shortname are getting the short end of the stick. 

• Advanced Members

Why would someone want a random capital i in their name just for the sole purpose of it looking like an L? I mean I really didn't wanna have to be so specific but I guess it's necessary now. If I'm looking at requests, and I see "MichaeL" wants a lowercase L, sure, seems reasonable. If I see a ticket where someone wants Angeio to have a capital i, then I would say no, because what's the purpose of having a capital i if the rest is lowercase? That is not something that you can reason with. I don't see many users feeling the need to have a capital i in their name unless it's to look like an L, but for most common words/names, the L can be lowercased without confusion, and the i being capital is almost pointless in any case, because if you do BOTH, instead of just the L, it makes confusion and the L is more purposeful. Having an i capitalized is pointless, unless you can think of a situation where it would make sense, which if the L changing was agreed upon, I don't see it making much sense.