Volunteer Identification

Sifu

• Advanced Members

I know that volunteers are regular users like us, but I think it would be nice when you hover over their name it could say (xat Volunteer!) like it says staff for xat staff (xat staff!) when you hover over 42's name. I believe this would be a nice feature for volunteers to have, since they work so hard answering tickets for users on xat. I hope you agree as well.

• Advanced Members

As I said in another post, I find this extremely unnecessary. Volunteers don't like to be bothered about tickets and other things as it is. Some bots have a command to see which volunteers are online with their ids. For volunteers, it is more complicated than just asking tickets, editing wiki, etc, so it puts more pressure on them as it is. 

• Advanced Members

That's why it should be given for the option to volunteers. So if they want the special identification, and can handle it, I don't see why not. But its up to them if they want it or not.

• Advanced Members

Doing something to stop the massive problem of volunteer impersonation is needed. Unfortunately, many users are scammed by people who impersonate.

The method for going about this is a touchy subject. Many people object to any sort of on-chat identification of volunteers.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

Yes, that is true with the bots, and wiki, but like Brandon said before, it does not stop users from believing someone is impersonating a volunteer or not, which would cause chaos, and make xat look bad.

• Advanced Members

It'll be cool for them to have it, as Brandon said, to prevent scamming.

Volunteers get bothered without having this, so I don't think it'll make any difference, since the bot can say which volunteer is online, and we have a list of volunteers as well.

So in my opinion, it'll me cool, just to prevent  impersonation.

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Doing something to stop the massive problem of volunteer impersonation is needed. Unfortunately, many users are scammed by people who impersonate.

The method for going about this is a touchy subject. Many people object to any sort of on-chat identification of volunteers.

Well said, Brandon. I completely agree with what you said about this.

• Advanced Members

yeah, i sadly disagree with this idea. Vols may do alot to help xat but as it is they get bothered way to much... this would just be another way for someone to recognise a vol and message them meaning lots and lots of pcs that the vols have to answer when they could be spending that time into answering actual tickets that need to be answered

sorry!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Personally, I don't like the idea of a special indication because of the current bothersome volunteers already receive.

However, I will add that if this can help to reduce people being scammed by volunteer impersonations, then I am all in for it.

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, Storm said:

Personally, I don't like the idea of a special indication because of the current bothersome volunteers already receive.

However, I will add that if this can help to reduce people being scammed by volunteer impersonations, then I am all in for it.

I agree with this. If you all don't mind having something that identifies you as a volunteer, and it will help reduce volunteer impersonations then it's a good suggestion. 

• Volunteers

Unfortunately everyone is not on the forum! 

I don't think volunteers will get more bothered with an on-chat identification. There is plenty of ways to know if a volunteer is online, and many users who are bothering already know who are the volunteers which means that with or without you it they would be bothered. Am I missing something ?

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Sydno said:

Unfortunately everyone is not on the forum! 

I don't think volunteers will get more bothered with an on-chat identification. There is plenty of ways to know if a volunteer is online, and many users who are bothering already know who are the volunteers which means that with or without you it they would be bothered. Am I missing something ?

Yeah, I definitely "retract my original statement" as it were, as that was a more valid opinion in the past. Now we have bots telling users who vols are and other things like that. I don't believe something to identify volunteers would give any more attention than they already get.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

There are already two lists on wiki which provide the ID's and regnames of all volunteers, wiki editors, forum mods, smiley makers & translators. 

http://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Volunteers 

http://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Translators

If anything, people should be made more aware of this, because this can prove legitimacy 100% - if a user claims to be user xxx, make sure their credentials (IDs, regnames etc) match up on the wiki, if they don't, report them! I don't believe volunteers need to start having special titles on the chat.