How do you feel about xat?

Spawn

• Advanced Members

Hello, everyone!

I'm just starting a discussion that I hope doesn't lead to be a bad debate.

I just want to know everyones opinion about xat. I personally enjoy being on xat, but I do miss the old times back in  2012-2013ish where there were more users online and the fact when I logged in, it was always a different face. Now, I feel like it's all the same people and the community is slowly leaving. 

There have been a few issues with xat back in the past where a lot of people left, but I believe those issues were fixed.  It's just my opinion that I believe xat has changed a lot in the past few years where it doesn't feel the same anymore. I feel like more chats are becoming a little biased with the way the set their rules and expectations. The support ticket system is a lot slower than it used to be, and there's a lot of criticism regarding the ticket system as well. 

I just personally feel like there should be a little changes here and there to make things work. 

How about you?

PS: Please do NOT make this a bad debate, just input your respectful and honest opinions. 

Edited by Spawn
zz
  • Award 3

• Advanced Members

i feel like admin is running it into the ground by wasting his time making flash changes and not putting 110% of his effort into the development of the html5 client

if admin took his own website more seriously he'd have a chance to bring back the 2012 vibes

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
32 minutes ago, Cryo said:

i feel like admin is running it into the ground by wasting his time making flash changes and not putting 110% of his effort into the development of the html5 client

I assure you that admins are working really hard on HTML5 with the help of some others too (taking forum suggestions for it and more). Maybe by the end of this year we'll see a big update on it.

Edited by Adeis
  • Award 2
  • Meh 1

• Advanced Members

How do you feel about xat? Hmm

Happy and disappointed.

There are no reasons to be disappointed when I'm happy, which is why I was really happy to be disappointed.

We are waiting for all the big changes in xat, but that does not mean that in relation to powers and people will change something! (update).

When I want something in the store I buy anytime!
But those who can not do this? (it's a preoccupying thing that nobody thinks about, but talks without knowing, you know who these people are).

Good luck at all, I hope you all are happy and happy with what xat.com offers you.
Thank´s.

• No 1
  • Meh 1

• Advanced Members

The way xat is being run and the amount of time it takes to see significant changes disappoints me. The answers to everyone's problems on xat are right in front of our eyes and the admins seem to be doing nothing about it. I hope someday the major push is done and xat can become competition for others again.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I haven't really been on xat in the past few months and I don't really intend to use it much at all in the future. There's not really anything to keep me interested in the website besides a few people I talk to, but most of them use Discord which imo is better than xat rn. Not that I'm saying that xat is bad, but I don't really see anything that would make me want to stay.

The powers seem repetitive and rushed. I'm not saying that the Smiley makers aren't doing a good job, but they need to be given more time to create these powers to actually make users want to buy them powers and not just to keep everypower.

The ticket system is meh. I'm not blaming the volunteers at all here, if anything they deserve some credit for sticking around despite xat being in this dying state. I'm pretty sure someones thinking "volunteers only care about the title" but let's be real here, who the cares about a title on a site that's slowly dying? No one. Alright, someone probably does, but there's really nothing motivating about having the title besides a few people being more friendly towards you lol.

As for ticket delays, put yourselves in the volunteers shoes. They don't get paid, if they do it's a test power for 100 replies or so.  Instead of having people volunteer their time to answer tickets with no motivation whatsoever, hire some actual staff who would get paid and I'm sure that would solve a number of problems with the ticket system.

As for HTML5 coming out, if I'm entirely honest I'm not really interested in that or expect too much to be gained from it. I get that people worked hard and even the admins seem somewhat interested, but I don't see it keeping xat alive in its current state. If this was decided a bit earlier, then it would probably have been more effective in keeping previous users, but now it seems a little bit late. If you're lucky it could help bring in some new users and make xat more modern, but I guess you'll have to wait and see.

tl;dr - discord is pretty cool

• Award 2
  • Sad 1

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Adeis said:

I assure you that admins are working really hard on HTML5 with the help of some others too (taking forum suggestions for it and more). Maybe by the end of this year we'll see a big update on it.

continuously having flash powers produced and making changes to the flash client to support these new powers/features aren't "working really hard on HTML5"

it's wasting his time.

• Meh 1

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, Cryo said:

continuously having flash powers produced and making changes to the flash client to support these new powers/features aren't "working really hard on HTML5"

it's wasting his time.

So... you don't want new things for flash then? HTML5 is not done yet, so they still can do things for flash.

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Chelly said:

Instead of having people volunteer their time to answer tickets with no motivation whatsoever, hire some actual staff who would get paid and I'm sure that would solve a number of problems with the ticket system.

This is not going to happen. By the way things are running, you can infer that the likelihood of this happening is almost impossible.

• Advanced Members
9 hours ago, Adeis said:

So... you don't want new things for flash then? HTML5 is not done yet, so they still can do things for flash.

No, I don't. Flash is dead in 2 years and all it's doing is creating more features/powers to convert over to HTML5, thus creating more work for @Admin in the long run.

Especially considering he's the only guy actively developing for xat, he doesn't need to be focusing on the past - but more so, the future of xat.

• Advanced Members

I feel disappointed about xat, a vibrant community vanished in what is akin to a virtual white-flight event.

I also feel hopeless for xat, the HTML5 client is laughably bad. If that's the future of the website, then God help us.

• Award 1

• Volunteers
8 minutes ago, adam_ said:

I feel disappointed about xat, a vibrant community vanished in what is akin to a virtual white-flight event.

I also feel hopeless for xat, the HTML5 client is laughably bad. If that's the future of the website, then God help us.

Any ideas for improving it?

We're not just here to bash xat. 

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Crow said:

1. Produce powers on a monthly basis rather than a weekly basis so that we aren't forced to buy things like 'Cups'

2. Do not produce any more functional powers unless they are also supported by the HTML5 client. Implementing suggestion 1 will help this suggestion be adhered to.

3. Have ID auctions more often, as IDs are the only things that are not devaluing every day. Also, when having these auctions, do not intentionally cater to big-spenders such as Stif, who will just sell back the IDs you want at a marked-up price.

4. Stop making every single edit of the client in to a power. The recent changes to scroll should not have been a power, but just a nice feature. Suggestion 1 will help this, too.

5. Revamp the volunteer team, or do away with it and hire (yes, with real money, Chris has plenty of it) a support team so that customers are not left waiting for weeks, and sometimes months.

6. Hire a team of web-developers to complete the HTML5 chat, as we've been waiting for it for the past three years, and it's in a laughably bad state. (again, Chris has plenty of money, he can do this)!

7. Fix major bugs that have been reported in the Bug Tracker. Most notably, the inability to join on a toon without rapidly clicking the Sign In button, and the ability to bypass a users locked account by logging in via mobile. These bugs are very trivial to fix, but have a major impact in safety and new user growth.

8. Hire a team to repair and complete the mobile apps.

9. Perhaps re-designing the website will give it a fresh modern look? Considering the current one is just a purchased template.

10. Market xat better on social media. Meaningless tweets such as the example below are a very common type of Tweet on the xat Twitter, and they make the website look stupid. I will say, though, that whoever runs the xat Facebook does a very good job.

SB_IW4U4Q-abGt5o-MBeaw.png

These are 10 things that xat could do to improve itself. It took me a few minutes to compile the list, it'd be good if @Admin could use at least one of these ideas, but after years of no change being done here, I don't have much hope.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
30 minutes ago, Crow said:

Can't take this question seriously anymore...

Sorry @ OP I personally don't have much to add on how I feel about xat... But as we all can see, it's declining and admins are struggling to keep it afloat. What needs and can be done to fix it is right there in front of everyone. It is just a matter of listening to the users.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
19 hours ago, ANGY said:

I joined in xat in 2009/2010. I went into a talk called CH I remember that I had about 4 rooms, as 200 users connected daily, it was amazing to meet people at that time, xat seemed very interesting to me more than Facebook or any other Social Network.

I did not know very well the community of xat to this I mean how it worked, the volunteers, the contributors, the tickets, the official rooms. .

I am currently in conflict, I never thought to leave, I am here since I am a little girl. I think that most of us here feel disappointed with how the circumstances have been handled, Currently xat is dying slowly, let's talk about some important points here:

1. Interface (MOBILE/HTML5)

Currently we have been told that they are working hard on HTML5, they have shown us some results, but I do not think they are showing us what we expect. Unfortunately, the user reaction to both mobile and the HTML5 platform was not very positive when we heard that the HTML5 version would be launched, we imagined a xat without the need to use Flash, but at the same time a new design would be added, something more modern and less boring than the current one. Every year social networks try to make a change in its interface by improving it and updating it so as not to be left behind, they always give something interesting to the consumer to see.

2. Chat

Sincerely the chat rooms are good by itself, but I think they would be better without so many annoying protections that many users do not understand and go to complain to help every day, it would be good to add a proxy filter or some other strategy that is simpler and not so frustrating. In the official chats I think that the ideas that managers give should be taken into account (some are not, I will not say name), debated and in a future applied.

3. Tickets

No user is happy with the delay of tickets, in fact some volunteers have mentioned that they prefer to use chat to help since it is more direct and in real time. Whenever this topic is touched the answer is '' Be patient, we are working on this '', I do not blame the volunteers, as I mentioned earlier Chelly '' They do not get paid, if they do it's a test power for 100 replies or so. '' They do the best they can when they can.

4. Powers

5. Voice

6. Motivation

I think nobody is currently motivated to stay for a long time, unless they aspire to a position, for the same 5 reasons mentioned above. 

Users have suggested many ways to motivate people to stay: 

Most of the games might be entertaining to stay. But the users do not feel really heard, many want to help improve xat and they have to be requesting that they be allowed, I think that everyone who wants to help should be given the opportunity.

In conclusion I think that most users feel somewhat disappointed to expect more than what is received. . But this has a solution.

@Spawn Thank you very much for opening this debate!

I absolutely love this post, ANGY. And you are more than welcome that I have started this debate. I feel like people are neglecting to see that we do want xat to change and we know that it is slowly losing more people. I won't get too much into it, but good job on writing this post. I'm hoping the administrator will be looking into this. @Admin

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been on xat since late late 2008 or early early 2009, my memory is fuzzy as to the date but anyways. xat makes me feel incredibly nostalgic, which isn't always a great way to feel. For the most part I don't leave my chat and it's more or less a gathering place for a severely small circle of friends and/or acquaintances who also happen to share that feeling of nostalgia. I'm convinced that it's the only reason we're still around. Discord would be infinitely more viable seeing as we all have pretty different schedules, but something about xat still sticks out to me at least. There's a great deal of customization and freedom that comes with it which I believe makes/made xat top dog when it came to social media chat boxes. My favorite thing about xat however is that it doesn't require permission/invitation to join or visit other chats. Sure, some chats might opt out of the public scene but that's only a bonus for personal choice. Most chats you have free range to visit, via the Featured, Popular, Supported tabs. You can walk straight out of one chat into another and meet new people and have new experiences,  it's basically the MMO of chat boxes, that's pretty significant. As far as I'm aware, things like Discord you have to be invited or given a link. It's mandatory, there's no free movement. Free movement is what makes, or made xat work. Enough of that though, xat makes me feel relaxed at times and melancholy at others. It's a nice environment, my chat at least, but knowing that hay days are long over does bring about a lot of sadness in my mind. The website feels empty. Like an MMORPG that has lost 90% of it's population, it's impossible not to notice and it's mildly haunting. 

Similar to how people associate certain cultural things with certain eras (the 60's hippies, 70's disco, and 80's hairbands for example) I associate xat with 2010-2013 VERY strongly. Anytime I think about xat, one of those years comes to mind and nothing else.

• Members

I look at the chat and I see that this very slow growth of html5 this is the hard part of making people stay online within the html5 are still missing a million factors so that html5 reaches the perfection of the flash is still missing the games and the trade for be html5, I really see that the owner of xat.com is afraid to hire a team to take care of website because he is afraid that his work will be stolen, he could rather hire people who help in the part of the ticket has people for years waiting support and nothing people posting inside the forum with blocked account titles, this is shameful for the xat.com they charge very dear to have all the powers here in Brazil to have all the powers is 4 thousand real now you imagine to invest 4 thousand real and waiting for months for your account to be unlocked because it is not supported. I find it very funny the volunteers they ask questions within the forum and do not come with the answers to laziness is so much that they block your post in the forum instead of responding, they should at least answer the questions they ask and stop closing the post because do not have the answer

• 6 months later...
  • Wiki Translators

i feel good about xat because i like everything that can improve my background, for me it's importante to know people from other countaries when we say other countaries we say other languages, other cultures ... secondly through xat i learned and i discovered a lot of imprtant things 

Edited by maxo