Anxiety

Spawn

• Advanced Members

Just a normal discussion for you fellow xat users. I'm recently made a chat called Anxiety.

I just want to know what you're honest opinions regarding the chat.

A little more insight regarding the chat...
the chat will be used for users who have anxiety, depression, OCD, and other related mental illness regarding anxiety - for people who just need to vent and talk. I came up with the idea of having a chat room for people like me, an anxiety sufferer that can relate and talk to others on how to use coping skills to help the everyday battle with anxiety. I'm trying to spread mental awareness for people around the world because not a lot of people understand the dangers of anxiety and depression. 

Now of course, I am not a doctor or a professional, but I will try to provide the best knowledge that I have to others in learning how to deal with this illness.

I'm hoping this way, people can connect and help one another and possibly save a life. 

Can I have your honest thoughts regarding this?

• Award 3
  • Confused 1

• Advanced Members

I really like your intentions, they seem pure.

But as far as I know Anxiety and the others mentioned, as you stated, are "Mental illness' ". These are illness' that need to be handled by professionals that have been trained extensively to deal with these specific scenarios. I think providing the wrong type of assistance can end really tragically if the end user takes it wrong.

Also, as far as trolls go... this would be a troll heaven, being able to target those who have these types of illness' and are more vulnerable than most would be very appealing to those looking to hurt others.

We wouldn't want your chat to be held responsible for those users. In my opinion, if it was to GUIDE users to the proper ways  of getting help or treatment... then something like this would work. But not as a way to help users get through it, I think you need to be in the practice and actually have the knowledge these professionals spent years studying.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for being so considerate of others, that's something that has recently been lacking in our society. 

Edited by Dann
  • Award 1

• Advanced Members
Just now, Dann said:

I really like your intentions, they seem pure.

But as far as I know Anxiety and the others mentioned, as you stated, are "Mental illness' ". These are illness' that need to be handled by professionals that have been trained extensively to deal with these specific scenarios. I think providing the wrong type of assistance can end really tragically if the end user takes it wrong.

Also, as far as trolls go... this would be a troll heaven, being able to target those who have these types of illness' and are more vulnerable than most would be very appealing to those looking to hurt others.

We wouldn't want your chat to be held responsible for those users. In my opinion, if it was to GUIDE users to the proper ways  of getting help... then something like this would work. But not as a way to help users get through it, I think you need to be in the practice and actually have the knowledge these professionals spent years studying.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for being so considerate of others, that's something that has been lacking recently in our society. 

I really appreciate you reaching back out on the forums regarding this subject. Let me try to put it in a better perspective. There will and always will be a moderator\owner active to handle the trolls. I do not take any funny business when it comes down to coping somebody with an illness. I have lost a few of my friends from battling anxiety and depression. Trolls will be no problem for us to handle. 

Another point I'd like to bring out is that, we are not professionals you are absolutely correct. What we're aiming to do is to guide (you're right) other people into a better situation, try to seek therapy, breathing tips, coping skills, etc. My staff are people who suffer from anxiety and depression every day and will be providing the best coping skills that they use to help others. 

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Cryo said:

Hi,

Good idea. However, something like this cant be successful (at least for what you expect) - because people suffering from those conditions generally would prefer to discuss something like that in a more controlled enviroment, like Discord.

More useful, has more moderation abilities, and can kick/ban users from ever joining and seeing your messages again - unlike xat. Something entirely open to the public with very limited moderation ability wouldn't be nearly as successful as something run on a more modern, capable service.

That's just my two cents.

Good luck!

Thank you for replying back and your opinion means a lot. My plan was to make sure the chat messages are not saved during the chat, and each sufferer has the option to whether or not explain themselves in chat or either private chat. Making things more easier on the sufferer. The chat is going to be moderated on a daily basis with either 2-3 staff members with good knowledge of xat, so they understand the terms and conditions for xat.

Also, going back to what you said regarding it being open to the public, you are absolutely correct. I have also put in the chat a suicide hotline, if things aren't going the way they should, there is professional help. I believe that we should be spreading mental awareness around the world and for it to be taken seriously. 

You're more than welcome to reply back. :)

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I think what you do is just great and I highly appreciate it, It's obvious that this cannot replace any professional doctor, but it can still be a soothing place - talking with people suffering similar illnesses and issues, exchanging experiences. 

As people mentioned, you have to make sure that the chat is always moderated. Rules should be enforced strictly, since this isn't a place to jöke around.

Furthermore I would also point out that this cannot replace professional assistance and you may refer to sites or phone numbers they can get local help at. 

• Wiki Translators

Hello!

I think that it's great that you want to help the people, but you are not doctor or professional as you indicated. These things has to treat in a hospitable center or in some professional center, and not in a chat. 

Let me tell you an anecdote:

I'm sanitary in ambulances of Spain Red Cross, and 3 months ago, I received a call of a woman who suffered a heart attack, we started making a CPR, during 45 minutes, ultimately she died. After 15 minutes, we received another call, a woman who entered on a shock and with a very high degree of anxiety. She started with hyperventilations and she suffered a heart attack. We find out that they were very friends.

The anxiety is a mental illness, and can turn out be dangerous if a doctor does not control it. Just is my opinion as sanitary.

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, LaFleur said:

I think what you do is just great and I highly appreciate it, It's obvious that this cannot replace any professional doctor, but it can still be a soothing place - talking with people suffering similar illnesses and issues, exchanging experiences. 

As people mentioned, you have to make sure that the chat is always moderated. Rules should be enforced strictly, since this isn't a place to jöke around.

Furthermore I would also point out that this cannot replace professional assistance and you may refer to sites or phone numbers they can get local help at. 

Hello, LaFleur. 

Thank you for reaching out on my post, means a lot! The chat room is definitely strictly enforced with rules followed by the terms and conditions of xat. The owners and moderators in my chat room know this is NOT a place to be joking around. I have a disclosure in the chat underneath stating ....

I would just like to take a minute and say "thank you" for joining my chat room, Anxiety.

The reason for creating this chat room is to help others battling the mental illness with anxiety, depression, OCD, and other forms relating back to anxiety. Now, the goal with this chat is to help people use coping skills to better themselves in the long run.

We are NOT doctors and or professionals, we are simply people suffering from the same mental illness and we are providing our best advice to help you in the long run.

If you are thinking about death and or suicide, please call the suicide hotline.  "The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you and or your loved 0nes, and best practices for professionals."  1-800-273-8255 (US).   44 (0) 8457 90 90 90 (UK)

5 hours ago, Blacky said:

Hello!

I think that it's great that you want to help the people, but you are not doctor or professional as you indicated. These things has to treat in a hospitable center or in some professional center, and not in a chat. 

Let me tell you an anecdote:

I'm sanitary in ambulances of Spain Red Cross, and 3 months ago, I received a call of a woman who suffered a heart attack, we started making a CPR, during 45 minutes, ultimately she died. After 15 minutes, we received another call, a woman who entered on a shock and with a very high degree of anxiety. She started with hyperventilations and she suffered a heart attack. We find out that they were very friends.

The anxiety is a mental illness, and can turn out be dangerous if a doctor does not control it. Just is my opinion as sanitary.

Hi, Blacky. 

Thank you for reaching out on my post! The chat will be used for advice for sufferers like me. Most people just need another ear to vent too, which the chat is being used for. We have owners and moderators that are enforcing the chats rules and safety for others. We have useful links and resources to guide another sufferer to a better light. :) 

• Wiki Translators

And what happens if one advises them badly, if there is not professional doctor? And if they manage to commit something bad? Let's consider the worst thing, as a suicide... I repeat again, I think that it's great that you want to help the people, but you are not doctor or professional as you indicated. As you said also, you was a patient, not a professional.

• Confused 1

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Blacky said:

And what happens if one advises them badly, if there is not professional doctor? And if they manage to commit something bad? Let's consider the worst thing, as a suicide... I repeat again, I think that it's great that you want to help the people, but you are not doctor or professional as you indicated. As you said also, you was a patient, not a professional.

Hi Blacky!

Let's be clear on a few things, the chat is meant to talk to users in a more mannered way, we are not doctors or professionals. If you've ever been on the website, 7 Cups, it's basically a forum just like this, where people are talking about their anxiety, depression, and or OCD. Everybody around the world just gives them the best advice on coping skills, for example, deep breaths. Not once in my statement did I mention that I was a patient, I stated that I suffer from anxiety. 

The advice that I keep mentioning is support, we have links to websites that include a 24/7 hotline if somebody ever wanted it. I do believe you're kind of looking more into this that it should be. Thank you for replying back to me. :) 

Edited by Spawn
typo

• Members
3 hours ago, Blacky said:

Blacky, You DO NOT have to be a professional to help people cope. This chat is specifically made to help people, not cure them. We are in NO WAY curing these people, just helping thing get through the tough times in their mental illnesses. Doctors are not perfect 24/7, they are far from that. Now if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Thank you.

Edited by Vibes

• Advanced Members

I would also just to add to this point to anybody who is reading this.

The chat room is to offer morally support for anyone. Disregard the trolls and people being disrespectful. I'm trying to bring a better light to this situation -- I don't want people to be looking at this in a negative way. Instead, look at this in a positive way. Now, we all know that people with more severe depression and anxiety, wouldn't be going to the chat Anxiety to talk about their issues, they will be seeking real professional help. We are NOT diagnosing anyone or giving them any sort of prescriptions. We are going to be offering coping skills on how to deal with anxiety. For example, my every day method is to distract myself from the situation, it calms me down and brings my mood back.

Now, the point I'm trying to make is people all around the world, just want somebody to vent too. I personally am not seeking professional help because I am not at the stage in my life. I simply like to talk about myself and see if people can try to relate and or provide me advice. I do appreciate everybody providing me their feedback regarding this situation. But please, try to look at it in a positive aspect instead of a negative one. 

The chat room is going to be under the terms and conditions of xat and will always be. 

Thank you to everyone who is reading this.

Spawn :) 

• Wiki Translators
1 hour ago, Vibes said:

Blacky, You DO NOT have to be a professional to help people cope. This chat is specifically made to help people, not cure them. We are in NO WAY curing these people, just helping thing get through the tough times in their mental illnesses. Doctors are not perfect 24/7, they are far from that. Now if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Thank you.

If you are a professional, you can take better the case. I know what I am speaking, because I'm sanitary in ambulances of Spain Red Cross. Also I have to say, that it is fantastic that you help the people with their problems, but there you have to be careful.

• Wiki Editors

Unprofessional assistance is definitely better than no assistance at all. I am sure that there are people who have issues but for one reason or another would not contact professional help or even recognize that they have a problem. This chat could be a chance for those people, and I am fine with it not being moderated by professionals since the people who moderate it recognize that they are not professionals and appear to know how to treat the public and direct them to proper assistance when needed.

I have seen community support groups of people who have a certain disease on Facebook which work perfectly fine, so I am inclined to give this chat a chance.

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
38 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Unprofessional assistance is definitely better than no assistance at all. I am sure that there are people who have issues but for one reason or another would not contact professional help or even recognize that they have a problem. This chat could be a chance for those people, and I am fine with it not being moderated by professionals since the people who moderate it recognize that they are not professionals and appear to know how to treat the public and direct them to proper assistance when needed.

I have seen community support groups of people who have a certain disease on Facebook which work perfectly fine, so I am inclined to give this chat a chance.

Thank you Arthur!

I like seeing that somebody agrees with my idea.This has definitely made my night. We want to spread mental awareness for everybody. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members
On 3/14/2018 at 8:27 PM, Spawn said:

Just a normal discussion for you fellow xat users. I'm recently made a chat called Anxiety.

I just want to know what you're honest opinions regarding the chat.

A little more insight regarding the chat...
the chat will be used for users who have anxiety, depression, OCD, and other related mental illness regarding anxiety - for people who just need to vent and talk. I came up with the idea of having a chat room for people like me, an anxiety sufferer that can relate and talk to others on how to use coping skills to help the everyday battle with anxiety. I'm trying to spread mental awareness for people around the world because not a lot of people understand the dangers of anxiety and depression. 

Now of course, I am not a doctor or a professional, but I will try to provide the best knowledge that I have to others in learning how to deal with this illness.

I'm hoping this way, people can connect and help one another and possibly save a life. 

Can I have your honest thoughts regarding this?

Great Idea since i saw the world and it very a depressing place 

• Award 1