Allow the Free Use of Translator for Staff at Official Chats

SirCharlie

• Advanced Members

why just at officials/help chats tho ? is help that active nowadays ? :^) I don't think admin would do that, tho. Users that need help in other languages rather than english are sent to Assistance or other staff speaks other languages, except english.

• Award 3
  • Confused 2

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, SirCharlie said:

because it allows for staff to provide help in other languages in the absence of other staff speaking their language (or even direct them to the correct help chatroom)

That's why Help is not the only help chat there is. There's help chats for every other language. You've said it yourself.

• Confused 2

• Wiki Editors
2 hours ago, Lunala said:

why just at officials/help chats tho ? is help that active nowadays ? :^) I don't think admin would do that, tho. Users that need help in other languages rather than english are sent to Assistance or other staff speaks other languages, except english.

27 minutes ago, Adeis said:

That's why Help is not the only help chat there is. There's help chats for every other language. You've said it yourself.

18 minutes ago, Skatel said:

it is easier to send those users to chats where they speak international languages Assistance or simply to chats where they speak their native language?

Assistance does not support every language spoken on xat. When a user whose language does not have a helper available asks for help, we use the translate application to assist them. However, as Charlie pointed out, not all of us can always subscribe, so it would be more convenient if it was made free for members+ for the Assistance chat (and other official chats).

As far as I am aware, the translate application is a subcriber-only service because xat pays a certain amount for each x messages translated. I do not think that this change would higher that value considerably, and it is also important to take into account that we do not use it for entertainment purposes, but to help users.

I hope this gets implemented!

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

Assistance has users that can speak in: Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Italian, Arabic, French, Turkish, German, Thai, Romanian, Tagalog, Estonian, Russian, Serbian, Polish. Do you even think that's not really enough ? Do you think one user will come in Assistance and will ask for help in God knows what forgotten language and there will be no staff there or any user that will not have days so they can use translator or whatever reason, lol? 

Edited by Lunala
  • Confused 3

• Advanced Members
31 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Assistance does not support every language spoken on xat. When a user whose language does not have a helper available asks for help, we use the translate application to assist them.

Yes, we know that Assistance covers most of the languages, but not all of them. But that's why there's also OTHERS help chats, just as: Ayuda (Spanish), Ajuda (Portuguese), Aiuto (Italian), and many more.

If a Spanish user goes to Help asking for help because there's not people on Ayuda (happens most of the times) then yes, the translator needs to be used. This is an interesting ideas for those help chats, like that one, that are dead most of the time.

• Advanced Members

Most Help chats cannot always be covered by staff, and at Assistance, we rarely cover more than a few languages at times due to staff availability and timezones. For example, I may be the only staff member online at a time, without days and someone is asking for assistance in Spanish. I do not speak this language, but I could provide assistance very easily if the translator app was available. Any assistance is better than none. 

I don't want this to turn into an argument, but I think it's pretty hard for those not involved with the assistance chatrooms to make generalisations and assumptions.

Edit: 

If a Spanish user goes to Help asking for help because there's not people on Ayuda (happens most of the times) then yes, the translator needs to be used. This is an interesting ideas for those help chats, like that one, that are dead most of the time.

Yes, this is one of the reasons for why I am suggesting this.

Edited by SirCharlie
  • Award 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Members

The Translate app should be a free feature. I've talked to people who have very broken English, and I'd understand them better if they used the Translate app.

Also, let's keep in mind that most chats that offer help in languages foreign to English are dead. Implementing at the very least Charlie's suggestion would be a step forward to helping more people in the community.

Edited by CarlosDesigns

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, CarlosDesigns said:

The Translate app should be a free feature. I've talked to people who have very broken English, and I'd understand them better if they used the Translate app.

Also, let's keep in mind that most chats that offer help in languages foreign to English are dead. Implementing at the very least Charlie's suggestion would be a step forward to helping more people in the community.

Ya sureeee cuz their english would be better if they will use google translate

• Confused 4