Reporting Harassment

Lemona

• Volunteers

In the xat terms located here, it says:

The service may not be used to transmit material, links or references to material which:
is unlawful, hateful, offensive, vulgar, abusive, defamatory, obscene or sexually explicit, promotes self harm
is intended to harass, stalk, intimidate, threaten, victimize, deceive, degrade, embarrass, cause distress or discomfort

We all know that harassment is a major issue around the world today.  Personally, I would hate to see any user on xat be abused, harassed, stalked, intimidated, threatened, degraded, deceived etc on the website. Now, xat does have a ticket system in which users can report this stuff. However, the only ticket department that makes any sense to report this kind of stuff would be the General Question or Concern department. Although, this department happens to be a paid user department in which users would have to have bought xats from the xats buy page. 

But, what if a registered user was being harassed and was not a paid user? Well, for the users I've seen come to the Help chat about it, they are suggested to open a ticket under the "Report scam" to report this. First of all, not all users who are being harassed would want to publicly announce this in the main chat on the Help chat (some would). Secondly, not all xat users are aware of the Help chat. Thirdly, how does the Report scam department make any sense to report HARASSMENT? Now, another way could be to going to the user's profile and clicking "Inappropriate". However, when you click that button it says, "Report an inappropriate xatspace (profile)". This also does not make any sense as they want to report HARASSMENT and not the XATSPACE itself. I truly believe that xat needs to make reporting of harassment more visible for victims of this. 

My suggestion to xat would be to add a new ticket department or add to an existing one, that says "Report Harassment". I am sure being a victim of harassment is not fun, especially on a website like this. I believe reporting this type of stuff is very important and more xat users should be more aware of how to report these types of things. Thus, adding a new or adding to an existing ticket department for harassment would be useful for the users who don't happen to be paid. Although xat can't do everything to stop what is going on, atleast someone can be punished for what they've done towards someone. Sure torching a user won't stop everything but at least something on xats part was done. 

**edited just for Stah** 

• Award 4

• Volunteers
6 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Go go the user's profile, click on Inappropriate and fill out the form. That's simple.

You can select Harassment, Cyberbulling, Impostor on the drop-down menu under Complaint.

"Report an inappropriate xatspace (profile)". This is misleading then.  Users need to be more aware of how to report this type of stuff especially if it is ongoing and constant. This title would easily be misleading to some, if not a lot. 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I think  that by click someone's xs includes (complaints to a user) also by reposting a user from a chat who happen to be bullying/harassing another user.

7H0ZnzD.png

Although i would hope that General department in ticket should be available for non-paid users without needing a new department.

• Volunteers
4 minutes ago, 6 said:

I think  that by click someone's xs includes (complaints to a user) also by reposting a user from a chat who happen to be bullying/harassing another user.

7H0ZnzD.png

Yes, however, the title on this page is misleading as I said before. Even myself feels as though that the Harassment button there has to do with the xatspace. Ticket is definitely more known to report things and I still think adding a Harassment section is more useful and helpful. Maybe changing the title or even adding something to the description on that page would be better. 

• Advanced Members

The Inappropriate form on a user's xatspace profile is a sufficient place to report harassment. By reporting harassment on someone's profile directly the administrators can deal with the report faster than if it was in a ticket, stuck in cue for a while and then finally dealt with after a volunteer/administrator hunts down the person (and that's if xat deems it worthy enough to be dealt with, because (as stated below) they don't get involved with disputes between users).

You can report something as inappropriate if it violates our Terms of Service. If you believe something is otherwise inappropriate please use the box below to tell us why. However, xat will not help to resolve disputes between users. Please don't report without good cause, if you do this repeatedly you may be blocked from using our service.

There are enough ticket departments volunteers have to deal with already, no need to give volunteers another thing to do when there's already a method in place to deal with harassment reports.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
37 minutes ago, Lemona said:

snip

Like others in this thread have posted, there's an option on the report xatspace page relating to being harassed, and users at help should not be recommended to use the "Report Scam" category for this type of report. Nor do users need to announce any problems in main chat, as I (and other Help staff members) often have NoPC disabled to allow users to PC us if they wish to have a 1 to 1 conversation.

Like you said, xat cannot do much about users harassing others. Usually, people will hide on toons or if they're already torched they will just use their own account what exactly can xat do about that? If anything, reporting a user for this will make them harass you more for reporting it. If someone is sending you real, and genuine threats then you can contact your local police and they can then start an investigation and even get information from xat regarding the real identity of the user(s) identified by you.

Also, I don't really understand why you brought in a fact about teenage girls experiencing verbal abuse, as we've all experienced it on xat (it's a sad truth). Being a teenage girl is irrelevant.

why'd you remove that part ^^?

• Award 2

• Volunteers
11 minutes ago, Stah said:

Also, I don't really understand why you brought in a fact about teenage girls experiencing verbal abuse, as we've all experienced it on xat (it's a sad truth). Being a teenage girl is irrelevant.

why'd you remove that part ^^?

Edited it. It was just an example.  

• Advanced Members

Agree with Brandon.  xat and volunteers have to take such claims serious.  However, putting it in the ticket system  would also

generate a flood of tickets with little proof or false claims.  Users have different terms for harassment.  Users also should have solid proofs.

Reporting it by innap xatspace will NOT do much good either.  Brandon has the best solution for this type of problem.

Report it to Admins direct or to a volunteer.

• Award 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members

Aww @Lemona ?? great think , great idea . Really i Love It . Because some time ago i know an person , sufred a Lot of harass . And That person was very afraid And very scared to report They . But Now everything is ok . So i support It . 

• Wiki Editors
4 hours ago, Mihai said:

Aww @Lemona ?? great think , great idea . Really i Love It . Because some time ago i know an person , sufred a Lot of harass . And That person was very afraid And very scared to report They . But Now everything is ok . So i support It . 

They message a volunteer here on forum. There's nothing to be afraid or scared of. If they'd be willing to create a ticket, they should also be willing to message them here.