Travel Mode

Harrison

• Advanced Members

xat is very good about protecting our accounts from malicious activity. Part of xat's protection is putting a five day hold on your account if you login from a location far from where you usually use xat. However, many of us travel a lot and want to use xat while abroad. That's why I'm suggesting Travel Mode

Travel Mode would allow users to use xat while traveling without a risk of a hold being added to their account, but with the necessary security measures. To turn on Travel Mode you would login to your xat account,  scroll down to "more" and check the box next to Travel Mode. Your usual account precautions would be in place to turn Travel Mode on/off because it's toggled via the login page. Admins/volunteers would have to decide if Travel Mode would work with account locking (probably not).

Accounts in Travel Mode would be able to:

• Login to their xat account without being held when Travel Mode is turned off.
  • Receive transfers of days and xats
  • Every other normal xat features besides those listed below.

Accounts in Travel Mode would not be able to: 

• Transfer out days and xats.
  • Trade powers, days and xats.
  • Update security settings, change the regname of the account or delete the account.
  • Buy promotions, powers, shortnames, xavi items, auction or anything from the xat store.
  • Buy xats and days from the buy page.

If you turn Travel Mode on and don't turn it off until you get back to your usual location, you won't have a hold. If you turn Travel Mode off at a location you don't usually access your account from, you would still have the typical 5 day hold.

Basically this feature allows us to use our accounts when traveling without being held but with good enough security that if a phisher accesses your account, travel mode can't be abused.

Comment your thoughts below.

• Volunteers

The idea is OK...... I don't see the point of this when you can't transfer/trade anyway. You can still use xat when you're out of town. Personally, a 5 day wait is not very long, especially if you're on vacation. The main reason why some users may not like being held while they're away is because they can't trade or transfer. I agree that Travel Mode still shouldn't allow them to trade/transfer as it could lead to many security problems if accounts got compromised. However, I don't see this feature doing much good as there isn't that much of a difference. 

• Advanced Members

Yeah, pretty much what Lemona said. Travel mode is giving you all the restrictions the automatic hold does... without actually getting held. I think its better to just keep the hold system and wait out the extra few days when you're back from travelling, or don't use your main account when travelling.

• Wiki Editors
On 4/3/2016 at 4:16 PM, Arthur said:

I do support this suggestion but let's work this out:

How about making it so users can only do fair trades (like when your account has a reserve) instead of a 5 days hold?

When you enable the Travel Mode, you would be able to enter the amount of days you'll be away from home.

e.g 5 days. So it'd go back to normal if you login at your home location within the 5 days. If you don't, then it'd put you in a 5 days transfer hold. 

Strong points, Arthur; I support this to an extent.

Despite the fact that the scale accepts a large margin of trades as fair, I think this should be considered.

Since it crunches store values, it's not the fault of the system.

It minimizes any potential loss (I believe ~33.33% worst case) and gives more degrees of freedom while you're out traveling.

Here's just an example of what I mean in regards to accepting a large margin:

(The following depicts an even, "fair" trade, i.e. balanced scale)

SZwsHnV.png

• Advanced Members
9 hours ago, Arthur said:

How about making it so users can only do fair trades (like when your account has a reserve) instead of a 5 days hold?

When you enable the Travel Mode, you would be able to enter the amount of days you'll be away from home.

e.g 5 days. So it'd go back to normal if you login at your home location withing the 5 days. If you don't, then it'd put you in a 5 days transfer hold. 

I support this suggestion also, and I like Arthurs improvements.

I find account locking annoyingly restrictive, I use xat when I go on vacation, but when I go on vacation I don't normally stay in one place, and remembering to turn it off all the time is annoying. Being able to go into some sort of travel mode would be very useful.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
16 hours ago, Arthur said:

e.g 5 days. So it'd go back to normal if you login at your home location withing the 5 days. If you don't, then it'd put you in a 5 days transfer hold. 

Don't really see the point in this. If you're out travelling and you want to come on xat for a couple minutes or half an hour, most of us barely use trade as-is, nevermind if we are out and about. The OP wants to avoid the hold when coming back, not while travelling.

• 3 months later...