Jump to content
Steven

Bring back the downvote!

Recommended Posts

There is no better button on xat's forum than the downvote button.

 

I hereby declare this the official petition to bring back the downvote button!

 

Sign your name here to support!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

 

You all used it incorrectly (except from a very small minority), hence this removal in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stah said:

No.

 

You all used it incorrectly, hence this removal in the first place.

What in the world are the "incorrect" or "correct" ways to use the downvote button? Enlighten me, please.

 

Also, how do you know that's why it was removed?...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steven said:

What in the world are the "incorrect" or "correct" ways to use the downvote button? Enlighten me, please.

 

Also, how do you know that's why it was removed?...

Here's reddit's reddiquette on the use of down vote. This is how down votes should be used:

 

Quote
  • Downvote an otherwise acceptable post because you don't personally like it. Think before you downvote and take a moment to ensure you're downvoting someone because they are not contributing to the community dialogue or discussion. If you simply take a moment to stop, think and examine your reasons for downvoting, rather than doing so out of an emotional reaction, you will ensure that your downvotes are given for good reasons.

  • Mass downvote someone else's posts. If it really is the content you have a problem with (as opposed to the person), by all means vote it down when you come upon it. But don't go out of your way to seek out an enemy's posts.

  • Moderate a story based on your opinion of its source. Quality of content is more important than who created it.

  • Upvote or downvote based just on the person that posted it. Don't upvote or downvote comments and posts just because the poster's username is familiar to you. Make your vote based on the content.

The first bullet point applies to 90% of downvotes given during the period it was here, and people often used it instead of reporting posts.

 

Also, I know everything;).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Steven said:

What in the world are the "incorrect" or "correct" ways to use the downvote button? Enlighten me, please.

 

Also, how do you know that's why it was removed?...

 

I'm guessing it was removed because people dislike posts when they have beef with someone, even if the post/status update didn't deserve to be down voted. Yes, that has happened to me many times, and I'm sure it has many others.

 

But, tbh, I think people should probably care less about reputation, it literally means nothing, so i honestly dont care if dislike function is there or not

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what Stah is saying, but I think that's silly. Why shouldn't it be used to say you disagree?

 

As for the people who just disliked everything by someone they didn't like, that is most definitely petty and immature, but I don't think those few users should get to ruin it for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steven said:

I see what Stah is saying, but I think that's silly. Why shouldn't it be used to say you disagree?

 

As for the people who just disliked everything by someone they didn't like, that is most definitely petty and immature, but I don't think those few users should get to ruin it for everyone.

 

The down vote function is a good idea, given that the community uses it correctly (i.e when they disagree with a post). But, sadly, it isn't, many people use it when they have beef with someone like I said, and the #1 reason they probably removed it was due to complaints about people "Disliking their stuff because a person dislikes them".

 

Also, at your point "but I don't think those few users should get to ruin it for everyone.", it's hardly like they could simply remove the option as there's not really a good way to measure if someone is giving negative rep to one's post due to them being disliked by the person. Also, not many people use the down vote feature in general, and when they do, I could take a rough guess and say 80% of the time it's because they have beef with someone.

 

An idea would be that negative reputation is only given when 3 or more people give negative rep to a post, and also the post is hidden when enough people give negative reputation. But sadly, when the down vote function was here, this was not incorporated.

 

Conclusion, it's easier to simply remove it because of beef within the community.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Steven said:

I see what Stah is saying, but I think that's silly. Why shouldn't it be used to say you disagree?

 

As for the people who just disliked everything by someone they didn't like, that is most definitely petty and immature, but I don't think those few users should get to ruin it for everyone.

It's not dislike and like, it's upvote and downvote. Liking and upvoting/downvoting are voting systems provided by the forum software, and both serve different purposes.

 

On many forums, boards, and other places where creative content can be shared is where upvoting and downvoting have been given their meanings. They're suppose to show the quality of the post, and not reflect other's opinion towards the post (which is useless information). Whether Steven, Arthur, Bob, Jim and Sam dislike the post is irrelevant. But if Steven, Arthur, Bob, Jim and Sam upvote the post, then Stewart will think "this must be a a good quality post" and firstly, make an impression out of it, and secondly give it a read (if it's long) as many users have said that it's a quality post.

 

However, on those internet boards, the downvote button also hides the post if it goes below a certain threshold, which is where the downvote rules become more important. The forum doesn't do that, so you guys don't really get the system. But that's how it suppose to be used and it wasn't being used that way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stah said:

It's not dislike and like, it's upvote and downvote. Liking and upvoting/downvoting are voting systems provided by the forum software, and both serve different purposes.

 

On many forums, boards, and other places where creative content can be shared is where upvoting and downvoting have been given their meanings. They're suppose to show the quality of the post, and not reflect other's opinion towards the post (which is useless information). Whether Steven, Arthur, Bob, Jim and Sam dislike the post is irrelevant. But if Steven, Arthur, Bob, Jim and Sam upvote the post, then Stewart will think "this must be a a good quality post" and firstly, make an impression out of it, and secondly give it a read (if it's long) as many users have said that it's a quality post.

 

However, on those internet boards, the downvote button also hides the post if it goes below a certain threshold, which is where the downvote rules become more important. The forum doesn't do that, so you guys don't really get the system. But that's how it suppose to be used and it wasn't being used that way.

Well then, I formally request a dislike button, because a lot of the posts on this forum deserve to be disliked.

 

:$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flake said:

The dislike function is a good idea, given that the community uses it correctly (i.e when they disagree with a post).

It's supposed to be used for off-topic posts or trolls or anything else that doesn't contribute to the thread. Disagreeing does not warrant a dislike/downvote.

I think this has been said already, but let's reinforce it.

 

We also have rules against most posts like this, so a downvote isn't necessary because they'll get deleted anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elie said:

It's supposed to be used for off-topic posts or trolls or anything else that doesn't contribute to the thread. Disagreeing does not warrant a dislike/downvote.

 

We also have rules against most posts like this, so a downvote isn't necessary because they'll get deleted anyway.

 

 

Yeah, and I agree, it should be used that way, but due to  the way it was set out, it wasn't used that way. To me, hiding a post that is off-topic or trolling would be helpful, but due to the way it was set out, all down voting a post did was... give negative reputation. Literally, down voting did nothing else. So, it literally only warrants a dislike/downvote. I don't really understand your point there. It does nothing else. Again, if the post was to be hidden, it would be a different case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steven said:

Well then, I formally request a dislike button, because a lot of the posts on this forum deserve to be disliked.

 

:$

As I said, on a forum at least, disliking a reply is irrelevant information and might even dissuade users from posting because they don't want their opinions to be objected against, as after all, we are all posting our opinions as we are entitled to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Not worth bringing it back if most of the xat user-base will complain about it 24/7.

Just write dislike in a reply :$

Disliked your post because this is how you create spam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Elie said:

Disliked your post because this is how you create spam.

Better than spam downvotes ;)

My point is that while there's a group who like the  downvote and dislike button, many hate it and as Stah said, it might dissuade users from posting or be used unfairly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Stah said:

As I said, on a forum at least, disliking a reply is irrelevant information and might even dissuade users from posting because they don't want their opinions to be objected against, as after all, we are all posting our opinions as we are entitled to.

Well, with the current system, we're apparently only entitled to our opinions if they agree with the OP's opinions. As far as the rating system goes, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets make it short, it worked fine except for few exceptions. If people get downvotes, they can also learn about it. 

 

However, i think ryan said it on a thread, giving people downvotes who are showing their support by such things like 'nice i like this' or ' nice suggestion' is wrong too.

 

-> LaFleur

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

However, i think ryan said it on a thread, giving people downvotes who are showing their support by such things like 'nice i like this' or ' nice suggestion' is wrong too.

There we go. Exactly why this system was removed. Those examples are perfectly good examples of posts which do not add to discussion.

 

Too many people confused about what downvotes are to be used for, and caused too much drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.