Ban system

Gambler

• Members

Keep the exponential growth (day - week - month or whatever) when it comes to trolling, advertising, raiding and other nasty stuff.

Remove the exponential growth for trivial bans such as cussing (that is not directed at anyone) , flooding or spamming.

The former would continue growing until the "forever ban", the latter would reach its limit at around 8-24 h.

Discuss?

• Members
5 hours ago, Sydno said:

Thanks for the suggestion although this is already the case. Cussing is only a growing factor if you have been banned 168h already (which means the user not only is breaking major rules but also is constantly impolite).

That's what I was mainly referring to. Imagine someone with a 168 h ban decides to be nice and leave breaking rules behind, but then swears accidentally or in the heat of the moment.That person would get another 168 h ban for that and would certainly be discouraged from obeying the rules...

Edited by Gambler
sounds neater

• Volunteers
8 minutes ago, Gambler said:

That's what I was mainly referring to. Imagine someone with a 168 h ban decides to be nice and leave breaking rules behind, but then accidentally or in the heat of the moment swears.

I don't believe you "accidentally" swear. If you decide to follow the rules, you care about it. This is to be decided on a case-by-case basis, however. If you're reproached a lot, you need to be twice more careful than usual, especially if you want to redeem.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Sydno said:

I don't believe you "accidentally" swear. If you decide to follow the rules, you care about it. This is to be decided on a case-by-case basis, however. If you're reproached a lot, you need to be twice more careful than usual, especially if you want to redeem.

It's happened to me more than once... Had I gotten banned for a month for a basic cuss word back in the day, I would've flipped lol.

• Advanced Members
Just now, Gambler said:

Sevda, would you care to give a further explanation? :o In which cases is the user to be ignored?

I mean if there's a user who is being impolite/trolling to you just put them on ignore and let the staffs handle the user and btw I'm not Sevda. :$

• Members
1 minute ago, 6 said:

I mean if there's a user who is being impolite/trolling to you just put them on ignore and let the staffs handle the user and btw I'm not Sevda. :$

Sincere apologies, I'm not sure how I got confused there. Yes, that's a good strategy, but would a user with priors deserve a bizarrely long ban for cussing??? (keep in mind im talking about cussing that is NOT directed at anyone)

• Volunteers
3 minutes ago, 6 said:

I'd say put the user on ignore also.

As a staff when a user is swearing on main chat? :( 

It happened to you more than once, but after all those times, you should be aware of that. We aim to be a convivial chat but we're not a nursery. We don't want to educate users on that, either they follow the rules and it's fine, either they decide to break the rules and need to make more efforts to redeem. In 2017, only 3 users have been given such ban. 2 of them are currently banned forever; the other one was banned for a month and used to break rules on a weekly - if not daily - basis. At this point, and after being banned more than 3 weeks totally, you should be aware of what you can do and what you cannot.

• Meh 1

• Members
6 minutes ago, Sydno said:

It happened to you more than once, but after all those times, you should be aware of that. We aim to be a convivial chat but we're not a nursery. We don't want to educate users on that, either they follow the rules and it's fine, either they decide to break the rules and need to make more efforts to redeem. In 2017, only 3 users have been given such ban. 2 of them are currently banned forever; the other one was banned for a month and used to break rules on a weekly - if not daily - basis. At this point, and after being banned more than 3 weeks totally, you should be aware of what you can do and what you cannot.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to fight for here. As someone who's been there I know what it's like. It's not exactly fair to ban someone for a month if they cussed (and the cuss word happens to be something so silly directed at noone) despite their 168h prior.  This is why I recommend that these become two separate types of bans completely. The perfect example of this would be Jonngog as he's in danger of getting banned for a week or a month just for cussing? In my opinion, that would be deserved only if he trolled or harassed someone.

• Award 1

• Volunteers
1 minute ago, Gambler said:

This is why I recommend that these become two separate types of bans completely.

If a user is being banned for 168h, this means the user has already been banned 24h then 48h, then 72h and probably even 168h before. Do you really think it is unfair to ban 168h a user who've been banned at least 3 or 4 times for major offenses because he cussed? 

I won't change my mind on this matter. If you're on the verge of getting banned for 168h, it means you've done enough harm, it's not unluckiness or having an exceptionally bad mood for a day. I'm the only one to give such long time bans on the chat and each time it happens - it only happened 5 times in 2017, counting the 3 previously explained cases and yourself - I make sure to warn the user about it. At some point, if you want to continue being on Chat, you need to change your behavior and you won't be forgotten any minor offense.

• Award 1
  • Meh 1

• Members
2 minutes ago, Sydno said:

At some point, if you want to continue being on Chat, you need to change your behavior and you won't be forgotten any minor offense.

So if i get banned by the bot I get a month ban? ._.

This is exactly why I find it ridiculous, I haven't made a major offense in months...

• Award 1

• Volunteers
2 minutes ago, Gambler said:

So if i get banned by the bot I get a month ban? ._.

This is exactly why I find it ridiculous, I haven't made a major offense in months...

I'm being lenient on that. If you haven't made major offenses in months, you will likely be forgotten. This doesn't mean you can continuously troll, being banned 168h, then wait 3 months then troll again and be banned 168h, etc. Although, in your precise case, you - more or less - followed the rules for months and you would be banned 24h in case you start trolling again.

Also, remember this is all managed on a case-by-case basis. If you have a doubt about your own situation, feel free to send me a message here, to send me a mail on sydno@xat.chat, or to open a private chat with me. I would rather not discuss personal cases in a public forum. 

• Sydno locked this topic
  • Volunteers

The question or questions in this topic have been answered. This topic is now closed.

If you have any other questions, please open a new topic. You are also free, at any time, to open new topics in the Discussion subforum.

• Meh 1