Add a reason for reputation like/dislike

CLassified3

• Advanced Members

I have seen some user's reputations high and low. Some people are just liking the reputation because they are their friend or they are asking for support. Some people are, however, targeting users just because they do not speak very good English and other reasons. 

This would actually help people realize why other people like/dislike their posts. Example: Person 1 does not speak good English and person 2 CONSTANTLY dislikes their posts just because they don't know English. Person 2 can learn that it is not okay to constantly dislike another person's post simply because they are from a foreign country, and person 2 can learn to use google translator. 

~

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
16 minutes ago, CLassified3 said:

I have seen some user's reputations high and low. Some people are just liking the reputation because they are their friend or they are asking for support. 

This is against the rules and if someone is caught asking rep from anyone, their rep is reset back to 0. There was a case where someone was asking for reps, and their rep was reset. The main reason why some have 50+ rep is probably because their posts are in good quality and they add to the conversation. Like @Crow for example, I look forward for his replies to my suggestions all the time because he has really good insight, same with @Stah. I don't think an explanation is necessary because if you see @Crow's posts and see that it has 5 rep, it would make sense because it explains itself. 

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I don't think an explanation is necessary because if you see @Crow's posts and see that it has 5 rep, it would make sense because it explains itself. 

Totally agree. User's who post decent and humorous replies, especially Crow, always bring in rep and you can see why.

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

likes/dislikes what a person wrote.

See, this is where you're wrong. You're suppose to like things based on the quality of the post, without reference to whether you like it or not. If someone has spent a couple minutes typing a reply and makes some really good points, whether you agree or not, chuck them an up vote for contributing to the discussion (or if someone posts a really good meme). If someone is just going to post "No", "Not bad" or something similar, downvote it into oblivion.

• Advanced Members

I don't see why I should give a reason when it's just going to be an opinionated reason. Not everyone agrees when you downvote something or vise versa. I upvote if I find a post with quality, and I downvote when the comment usually doesn't add onto the conversation at all. So why add a reason system when my reason will be the exact same each time I upvote/downvote? It wouldn't really better the reputation system at all.

• Award 1

• Volunteers

I agree with this suggestion, to some extent. Forcing people to explain themselves should help reduce the pointless likes, and bring more consistent reputations across the forum. Like you say, it may also help people to improve their posts, if they realise what they are doing wrong. This would also improve the standards of the threads.

On the other hand, however, I might not feel like typing "made me laugh" / "said something witty" for every like I give. (hmm)

2 hours ago, Stah said:

Since you very clearly made this thread in relation to Zed, his posts were down voted because he was posting utter nonsense after asking how to become advanced member at help (and being told he needed 25 posts).

Thank you for explaining this, @Stah. I was wondering why he was getting so many downvotes when other people basically doing the same thing within the same threads were going untouched.

2 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

[...] because if you see @Crow's posts and see that it has 5 rep [...]

When have I ever gotten 5 rep for anything? lol, I like your optimism though! :$

And aw, thank you @TinkerDoodle and @Stah for your kind words. I look forward to your posts/suggestions too! (And there's no need to upvote this just because I complimented you either, though I'm sure many other people would with their friends)! |-) We don't need long, complicated posts or anything - just something other than a generic "nice idea".

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

Honestly, I couldn't see it working too well. I know I'm just speaking in theory, but people would probably give lazy reasoning and it would probably create even more unnecessary drama. But, I can see where you come from @Crow 

• Advanced Members
52 minutes ago, Mencee said:

Honestly, I couldn't see it working too well. I know I'm just speaking in theory, but people would probably give lazy reasoning and it would probably create even more unnecessary drama. But, I can see where you come from @Crow 

For some reason i'd like to have a system where we can see why a user liked/disliked a post but as you said i can see a massive dramas ahead in the future and also this will kill the purpose of ''Comment''. 

• Wiki Editors

There is just no point on having to add a reason whenever you give a user positive or negative reputation. If you would like to know why a user gave you positive or negative reputation, you can just ask them why using the messenger.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Stah said:

If you have any proof of users specifically targeting another user by down voting them, report it.

Since you very clearly made this thread in relation to Zed, his posts were down voted because he was posting utter nonsense after asking how to become advanced member at help (and being told he needed 25 posts). Which by the way, is a very valid reason to do so. Down votes are to be used for posts that do not add to conversation (and not because you disagree) such as "No" "Nice" "Not bad".

First of all, I just used Zed's example. Some users can theoretically target other users and vote their reputations down. Yes i do agree with your point Stah, but if you do give a reason then there will be reduced spam likes/dislikes. 

Sometimes people just like for no reason.. It will give an explanation 

• Advanced Members

I don't think its needed too. I personally wouldn't say why i like a post. I just like and that's it. Maybe its a funny post, or a creative one. I don't feel like saying why i like it. I just like it. About dislike too... If someone doesn't like a post he has the right to dislike it. He doesn't have to tell people why he does. It's his right to dislike it. If they wanna abuse it, then it's their fault. + Is there a limit at dislike too?? Or is unlimited ?? 

• Advanced Members

I  don't want to have to justify why I give a positive or negative reputation. When you get positive reputation, think of it as me saying "I like what you just posted!" or when I give you negative reputation, think of me saying "I don't think what you posted is relevant and I dislike your suggestion/idea!". Surely the description of LIKE and DISLIKE / POSITIVE and NEGATIVE have quite self explanatory meanings?

But I'm just lazy, if I had to justify every like/dislike, I'd stop giving reputation.

But hey, I think the reputation system is vindictive anyway, I say remove it all together!

Down-voting Zeds posts is just pathetic, his spam was against the rules, which you should be reporting. There are forum moderators for a reason, giving negative reputation isn't the right thing to do in response to a user breaking the rules, instead of mass down voting his posts, report it so that moderators can take appropriate action. That being said, I went through his posts, most of which were totally fine. 

Downvoting somebody for saying "Nice suggestion" is stupid, that's like saying you can't support an idea unless you have an extensive reason as to why you support it. 

Please learn to give reputation more appropriately. @THEENTIREXATCOMMUNITY

• Award 2