MULTILINE 

Echo

• Advanced Members

I think it would be better to add the symbol + on top of the first smiley of the line, or add a separate button so that users know there are more smileys, so they can be deployed and not lose the theme that xat has carried for years.

Example:

icon-clear-msg-notification.png

Edited by ANGY

• Volunteers

Second line of smilies (hmm) 

Not a bad idea, since we are extremely limited on the number of smilies on the chat that we can put.

I wonder how would you navigate on the second line since it will show only if you hover the mouse cursor on the first smilie of the first smilies line. (Except if it works like the sound to change the volume)

Nice idea btw.

Edited by SlOom

• Advanced Members

I am thinking that you would just hover over the first smiley then select which one you would like to use then click it.

If you move the mouse away from the list then it will just vanish away.

It would be interesting if there was a way to toggle the second line on/off but really I don't think that would really be needed.

• Advanced Members

As long as this feature can be done likewise imagined to be, it's not a bad idea. Also consider that, the current line standard amount of smilies decrease lag for users, an extra line may bring more lag to chat.

If so, maybe it should have a macro so users can disable if it causes any future discomfort or lag.

• Contributors

I like the idea of having a second line of smilies. 

How would private chats be viewed though? From your screenshot, I see that you're using the private area for your smiley bar. 

There could be scrollbar for default smilies and then using the scrollbar, it would bring (up or down) your set smilies. Something like this I had in mind - https://prnt.sc/hkzql9

• Advanced Members

The second line smiles would only appear over the private chat area then disappear once the user moves away from that second line. 

It would only appear if the user hover over the first smilie which shouldn't really have any effect on the general user experience. 

A scroll could be an option but I am not really a fan of having to scroll left to right to choose the smilie unless you meant another sort of scroll such as using the mouse scroll to move smilie lines up and down if that make sense?

I do think that the appear/fade effect is the best way to go as it can easily be accessible and easy to get rid off without any issues.

• Advanced Members

If anyone is struggling to see what I am on about go to xat.com/sjbb and look at the smilie list.

Only the first smilie shows but when you hover over it the rest appear.

This would work exactly the same for the second line  of smilies.

If the chat has smilie line set to on then the first line will show as default but the second line will appear still if you hover over the first smilie.

I really don't think this will mess to much with the users experiences or chat design as the second line will only be visible when needed.

• Award 1

• Volunteers

Although having 2 lines of smileys would probably be convenient for your go-to smileys, I don't think it would look pleasant design-wise. As xat slowly moves towards an HTML5 platform, users are looking for a much more modern designed chatbox and I think having 2 lines of smileys wouldn't exactly look the most slick or modern.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a button to click on in the smiley line that allows users to search for a certain smiley, similar to the Trade engine search. For example, if a user searched for "to", smileys such as TOngue, TOngues, TOcircle etc would appear, allowing the user to simply click on a smiley and use it in the chat. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
On 5/12/2017 at 12:22 AM, THEBB said:

Name = MULTILINE (I really couldn't think of anything better)

Type = User

What It Does  = The purpose of this power would allow users to add an extra line of similes either above or below the default line of smileys allowing an extra 12 similes to be used. This would allow GLINE and  SLINE to also run off this power to allow more customized similes to be used either by the main owner of the group using GLINE or set by the users SLINE power. The extra similes can be viewed by simply hovering the mouse cursor over the first simile on the default 12. 

Current simile line http://prntscr.com/hj5bac vs MULTILINE http://prntscr.com/hj5e82

Thoughts?

I think it would not be a good thing, I talk about the aesthetics of the chats. Too much confusion to have 2 lines of smile.

• Members

I think the idea is sound, but the way you presented it is bad, it looks too clunky and takes up far too much room.

So here's my compromise:

https://i.imgur.com/psxZeSd.gif

The design looks far cleaner and serves almost the same purpose, again this should be a function power (not a free feature), this way reduces complaints about lag and will only be present if the user toggles it on. It's not optimal, but for now setting the smileys can be done using macros e.g. $fline=smile,wink,biggrin,mad,cry2

I don't mind the name multiline, but the for the sake of fitting with my design, it should be called be called fline or favline; standing for favourite smiley line. It would be great if it were to be able to store smiley combinations aswell (not just a singular smiley, but maybe I'm asking for too much). To address the issue being able to togge off, it should be done similiar to how you assign a group power: typing (fline) and clicking to toggle on/off.

https://i.imgur.com/fZ0Y9kH.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ya3hUa0.png

(special thanks to charlie for helping me obtain these screenshots)

Again, it links in with my other thread allowing users to easier access smileys and powers (which is again, is the main reason xat separates from other chat services).

• Award 3

• Volunteers
40 minutes ago, Njthug said:

I would rather see something like this because the design on this demo looks better, clean and more intuitive.

I think we can take it in count for HTML5 since it has powerful tool to do stuff like that. (Even if flash is able to do that also)

Well done.

Edited by SlOom
typo >.<
  • Award 1

• Advanced Members
On 12/9/2017 at 6:04 AM, Laming said:

Cant you simply use the smilies app ? it's there for a reason...

8EO7T7-xQCqBVp7m0WrXqA.png

The idea of this power was to allow users to set more of their favorite customized smiles such as you can do with sline but it would just simply double the amount you can set.

The smilie app shows you a lot of different smilies however requires the user to dig through it to find one they want to post which MUTLINE is trying to avoid and make it quick and easy to set additional smilies and use these while in chat.

40 minutes ago, Njthug said:

I think the idea is sound, but the way you presented it is bad, it looks too clunky and takes up far too much room.

So here's my compromise:

The design looks far cleaner and serves almost the same purpose, again this should be a function power (not a free feature), this way reduces complaints about lag and will only be present if the user toggles it on. It's not optimal, but for now setting the smileys can be done using macros e.g. $fline=smile,wink,biggrin,mad,cry2

I don't mind the name multiline, but the for the sake of fitting with my design, it should be called be called fline or favline; standing for favourite smiley line. It would be great if it were to be able to store smiley combinations aswell (not just a singular smiley, but maybe I'm asking for too much). To address the issue being able to togge off, it should be done similiar to how you assign a group power: typing (fline) and clicking to toggle on/off.

Again, it links in with my other thread allowing users to easier access smileys and powers (which is again, is the main reason xat separates from other chat services).

Firstly the example was put together using 2 screen shots and smacked together using paint (I aint good with graphics as you can tell) and the example you have given is a lot cleaner and shows of your example nicely. 

Only users that own MUTLILINE would be able to see the extra smiles and this will only show after hovering over the first smile which will not give a big line going up but just a second one going above the first set of smiles.

If users do not wish to use the power they don't have to buy it and if users have to buy it to keep EVERYPOWER they can just disable it.

Why would we need to toggle the power on/off? It can be switched off by doing /-mutliine and smiles can be change via macros.

• Thanks 1

• Members
35 minutes ago, THEBB said:

If users do not wish to use the power they don't have to buy it and if users have to buy it to keep EVERYPOWER they can just disable it.

Why would we need to toggle the power on/off? It can be switched off by doing /-mutliine and smiles can be change via macros.

You're right, I was overthinking things. Disabling the power should be good enough as a toggle off.

• Advanced Members
14 hours ago, Njthug said:

So here's my compromise:

@LaFleur I think you can add this to the TODO list.

(Instead of using macro to add those smilies, it should be like smartphones saving your "most used" smilies).

• Advanced Members

I like this idea , so we can used more smile where typing :d.

7WP12Dt.gif

• 5 months later...