Poll On Why xat Is Getting Less Busy

Jonathan1990

What The Reason Is For Xat Been Less Busy In Peoples Options  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Made Xat Less Busy?

• People Now Have Moved On Doing Other Things
    • Too Many Powers Making Everypower Impossible To Achieve
    • People Falling Out With Other Users
    • The November 2015 Databreach
    • Bot Raiders Spamming With Their Bots
    • Scammers
    • xat Volunteers Removing Content Off Chatrooms
    • Accounts Getting Torched
    • Changes To Website People Were Unhappy With
    • Boredom

• Members

You forgot to list, in my opinion, the biggest reason why users are leaving. Can you guess what that is? Ticket delay times. Having to wait 4 months just to be able to get into their account (or being able to trade) would make anyone leave. I'm pretty sure the only reason these users remain is because of the xats and powers they have on their account, you're effectively keeping them hostage..

• Award 4

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Mom said:

You forgot to list, in my opinion, the biggest reason why users are leaving. Can you guess what that is? Ticket delay times. Having to wait 4 months just to be able to get into their account (or being able to trade) would make anyone leave. I'm pretty sure the only reason these users remain is because of the xats and powers they have on their account, you're effectively keeping them hostage..

This is by far one of the best points as to why we are seeing a decrease within the xat population. As old users are coming back, their accounts are held indefinitely resulting in them waiting 4-6 months for them to regain access to their account. Is making a new account a solution? NOT AT ALL. Do users really want to wait 4-6 months for them to use something that may have such significant value to them? NO.  Is the hold put into place for the right reasons? Sure it is.  This is in my opinion such a huge loss for xat. Loyal, maybe even paid users, are coming back to a site they used to enjoy only to wait months to use their account, resulting in them leaving again. 

It would be nice to see some action in regards to this. Does it really solely depend on volunteers? No. There has to be some other way to ensure that all accounts are safe while being inactive instead of waiting 4-6 months to un-hold their account. We are already in 2017,  a time where technology has changed drastically and where the world is much more innovative than ever before. And you're telling me we can't come up with some better solution to this? Is it a setting that users can turn on/off to disable all transactions on their account when they know they're going inactive? Is it giving volunteers access to more departments? We can only hope things get better. 

• Advanced Members

14 hours ago, Mom said:

Yes, I agree with you especially if  theirs a user coming back and have to wait months just to get an answer on a ticket so they can recover their account. It's definitely hindering xats growth and sadly a lot of users may not come back or new users may not want to try xat because of it. However, it may not be entirely the fault of volunteers and their are reasons because of it due to security purposes. I would hope xat does something about it to fix it or make it more bareable such as maybe getting more volunteers or maybe admins pitching in to improve the ticket service so more users would want to get on xat. 

So, anyway the main reason I personally believe that xat is losing its popularity could be that a lot of people moved on due to other social media which has been a huge reason for the big decrease on users getting online on xat. I remember a lot of my friends who used to be on xat daily tell me that they are now on other sites and had completely stopped going on xat . It's sad especially since xat used to be so popular just a few years back and its astonishing that xat lost so many of its users. However, in the bright side xat could still gain popularity in my opinion. If users support xat and the community builds then xat could regain its users. I do believe xat can be more active. Anyway, thats basically why I think xat is less busy.

Edited by Mystic

• Advanced Members

I think the main thing that is to blame for the loss of users and popularity, would definitely be the ticket response times.

Like Lemona said, if I were to come back to this website and not be able to sign into my account, I would expect a reasonable wait time for such a thing to be handled. Especially considering the fact that xat did this intentionally? They should've been prepared for the tickets.

Of course, I suppose you could say this is an effect of November 2015 and you could put all of the blame there and on the hosting company that allowed it to happen.

But xat Admins are also to blame, for either not wanting or not caring enough to fix these problems that everyone in the community experiences. After all, they have the final say on what goes on here on the website they created.

If nothing changes, we as a community will continue to see the active user base dwindle, and eventually xat won't be open - you can't pay the bills without the users, the ones who buy powers, xats, days, etc.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I miss when I could load up the homepage and see a promoted chat full of users talking to people that 9 times out of 10, they didn't know.

Now you go on any promoted chat, and it's rare to see 15+ users. I'd consider that a good day for xat - but even then, these chats are quiet; nobody really talks on them anymore.

I've been registered on xat since 2009, and these past few months I've seen nothing but the same users around on xat, on almost every chat I go to.

The admins should not be afraid to fix these problems, as the future of their website depends on solving these issues.

I hope things change in the future, such as:

• Ticket response times
  • Active volunteers (goes hand in hand with the first bullet point)
  • More transparency

TL;DR - We need change.

Edited by Cryo
  • Award 3

• Advanced Members

Also, does xat even advertise any?

It used to be popular on sites as an embed chat, but are those really found any more?

(Especially since flash isn't loaded by default, some people might not even see the embed if it's there)

Are there any methods at all to bring in new users besides friend recommendation or random occurrence?

Especially since Club Penguin shut down, that takes out a huge chunk of the incoming userbase.

People naturally move on from things, it's a given.

What I'm seeing now is a lack of new people (but that could just be me, I don't get around much).

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, oj said:

Also, does xat even advertise any?

It used to be popular on sites as an embed chat, but are those really found any more?

(Especially since flash isn't loaded by default, some people might not even see the embed if it's there)

Are there any methods at all to bring in new users besides friend recommendation or random occurrence?

Especially since Club Penguin shut down, that takes out a huge chunk of the incoming userbase.

People naturally move on from things, it's a given.

What I'm seeing now is a lack of new people (but that could just be me, I don't get around much).

This too. I think this could become a focus when HTML5 is ready for a full public release, because you don't want to advertise the Flash chat that, like you said, needs to be allowed to run on browsers like Chrome - leading to users potentially not even seeing it.

• Advanced Members

I think one of the important reasons is that there isnt a good way to promote xat. Relying on word of mouth and embed in websites is no longer sufficient today. Certainly, some users leave and its quite natural. But what about new users who join? Maybe they should invest a little more on the methods of promotion to make xat better known. We mustnt wait for old people to come back to fix everything, there are alternative methods.

Edited by Elea
  • Award 3

• Advanced Members

Mainly options 1, 4 and 10, as well other main points that are not mentioned here; namely the lack of progression and motivation from admins and also the fact that there are numerous platforms simply better than xat, though these two points go hand in hand. Progression means option 10 is also not much of an issue. Progression with regards to option 4 has occurred but many people left prior to progression in security regardless. Other factors will have some minor influence.

Edited by Flake
  • Cool 1

• Volunteers

I've heard a lot of negativity here! Even though the English community is decreasing, there are still a LOT of users from others communities! :p 

I'm maybe a bit too much optimistic but I do believe there are more users than last year on xat. 

• Advanced Members
4 hours ago, Christina said:

Think of tr4de and answer your own question @TinkerDoodle

how the phrase was worded was the vols just deleted a bg for example or an outer. it was just confusing. but yeah i guess it happened before, but i doubt it would be enough for people to quit xat flat out tho

3 hours ago, adam_ said:

For obvious reasons, tr4de is not trade, and it could be misleading to users who think it is the real trade, where there is moderators to ensure safety while trading

lmfao.

• Advanced Members

These are facts that you should know about all subjects, although they're on poll for 'less busy'. People will always be with their real life ahead of the social ones. Not surprising nor an actual fact that some powers are made so that money spinning around, or devoting itself to increasing more and more the number of existing smilies.

People who fall with other users aren't very clear to me. I understand that they are those that go out grouping along with others. This is an absolutism to what we call 'group fun', when this group doesn't aim for more fun as apps/games or others means of personal enjoyment, you just keep moving on. It's what happens with everything, we're always changing for the best.

Unfortunately, databreach did cause its impacts, but this was only a moment of concern. As we all know, support ticket will never cease to exist nor the volunteers will stop helping. The only thing that came up after the databreach was some claims from those who have no habit up to date passwords from their accounts. It was an isolated episode and it has already passed as memory, and was just this. A bad day among many of the good times we experienced.

Scammers? This is a really hit key. If you believe there's a universal thing that envolves monetary transaction are 'scammers'. That is, we can say where is money there are people trying to take it, in any possible way, from the easiest to the worst, loyally saying there are scammers, not only happens here, it's on every corner.

This particular quote made me uneasy and confused as it were. I don't believe that xat Volunteers removing content off chatrooms seems correct. However, if there were such acts, which were practiced without a reason, this or these people were punished accordingly.

If you refer to the acccounts getting torched in the past, was only a safety measure. However, always remember that you've accepted the terms of service when joining and creating account here. This means that the breach of terms, which have been accepted will have as their punishment justified without any chance of active backlash.

The changes made on the website have only one purpose, aim please users who use it. If any user feel unhappy and has real reason to be dissatisfied with changes made, they can always send Feedback on the forums. If changes are not necessary, there will be a rollback.

• Members

Thanks for the votes.  It's been made clearly that the 3 main reasons are people moving on with their life, November 2015 databreach and boredom.  As for the ones with under 5 votes.

People falling out happens a lot or keyboard warriors as it is called in the UK.  I know of 1 user who got into a fight with me and hasn't come back on xat since.  Cannot say reasons though.

Scammers were a big thing around 2013 time with some users doing a doubling powers trick that was a glitch to scam people.

xat volunteers have been and removed content under chatrooms before.  I remember one user that had a dog and ball game thing where you threw ball and he ran after that ball.  I also had a hit counter that got removed.

As for accounts getting torched I'm sure that lost a few but it would be the least reason of the 10 for me.

Last of all I did think xat started going downhill when the homepage changed from been promoted chats at the right and featured to the left to promotions at top with others underneath.

• Advanced Members

Practically all of the reasons is why xat seems so empty lately.

As well as the majority of users tend to be rude one to another, and everyone wants to be seemed as a savage.

No one wants to be themselves anymore on xat.

Edited by Encrypt
Added more information.
  • Award 1

• Members
On 19/11/2017 at 12:25 AM, Encrypt said:

Practically all of the reasons is why xat seems so empty lately.

As well as the majority of users tend to be rude one to another, and everyone wants to be seemed as a savage.

No one wants to be themselves anymore on xat.

That seems one of the reasons as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

1. It's because xat keeps focusing on powers a lot and there's not much for regular unsubscribed users.

2. Most chats have strict rules: no swearing, trolling etc.

If we could go a little easy on the rules and make features for everybody to use, people will be more happy.

Now we have chats with all the rules, people behaving and chats being dead... (wary) We should be more inviting.

That's my opinion.