Recent posts and Popular now topics section on forum

Dann

• Advanced Members

Hello xat!

It seems the 'recent posts' and 'popular now topics' sections were removed on forum front page. 

c7BzWsT.png

And these took the spots were they were previously. (I vaguely remember this being under who's online section, not 100% sure)

I believe 'recent posts' and 'popular topics' carry much more importance than statistics on forum. Users like myself used these sections to guide on what's being talked about on the forum and new posts being created.

I know that by doing some searching these things can be found easily, but I believe that was a neat feature that we got and it shouldn't have been removed.

Am I mistaken, do these show at certain times ?

Thoughts on this? @Brandon any possibility bringing these back?

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
40 minutes ago, Flake said:

more importantly, how are there no birthdays today with 44524 members lol

It's my birthday today.

1 hour ago, Dann said:

Hello xat!

It seems the 'recent posts' and 'popular now topics' sections were removed on forum front page. 

c7BzWsT.png

And these took the spots were they were previously. (I vaguely remember this being under who's online section, not 100% sure)

I believe 'recent posts' and 'popular topics' carry much more importance than statistics on forum. Users like myself used these sections to guide on what's being talked about on the forum and new posts being created.

I know that by doing some searching these things can be found easily, but I believe that was a neat feature that we got and it shouldn't have been removed.

Am I mistaken, do these show at certain times ?

Thoughts on this? @Brandon any possibility bringing these back?

I believe 'recent posts' and 'popular topics' should be put back. It's easier to most users to pick up recent and interesting posts, but somehow I like it being removed because it makes me go to every sections and look on every threads like every 5 minutes (toj)

btw I think i'm the only one who 

• Members

I have no idea why they were removed in the first place. Recent post is without a doubt more useful than the statistics; who cares if we have x amount of users, when 99% of them are inactive (not exaggerating either). 

I'm a mobile user and I'll take a minute at most to look if anything remotely interesting is posted, I can't stress how helpful the recent post feature was.

Please replace or at the very least, bring back the recent post feature.

Thanks.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
8 minutes ago, Njthug said:

I have no idea why they were removed in the first place. Recent post is without a doubt more useful than the statistics; who cares if we have x amount of users, when 99% of them are inactive (not exaggerating either). 

I'm a mobile user and I'll take a minute at most to look if anything remotely interesting is posted, I can't stress how helpful the recent post feature was.

Please replace or at the very least, bring back the recent post feature.

Thanks.

I agree with you, it's something very useful when you're on mobile but now you'll have to go through every sections to look on threads. :$

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
20 hours ago, Flake said:

more importantly, how are there no birthdays today with 44524 members lol

Afaik it checks if they've been active during the last time and only then it shows the birthday. Otherwise it would've been quite a mess.

One reason why the 'recent posts' was removed was because there is an own page just for the latest activity of the forum. It's called "Activity" on the navigation bar, arthur posted the link to it.

About 'popular topics', that only appears temporarily when a topic has got a lot of replies in a short time. It should still be there.

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

Afaik it checks if they've been active during the last time and only then it shows the birthday. Otherwise it would've been quite a mess.

One reason why the 'recent posts' was removed was because there is an own page just for the latest activity of the forum. It's called "Activity" on the navigation bar, arthur posted the link to it.

And about 'popular topics', that only appears temporarily when a topic has got a lot of replies in a short time. It should still be there.

@LaFleur

Most of this content can be found within the forum;

https://forum.xat.com/online/ this has its own page. (also used as a section on front page)

A simple member search on https://forum.xat.com/search/ will show you how many users registered:

cdgb6Ki.png

As I stated,

21 hours ago, Dann said:

It was just a neat feature to have on the front page, it caused for less searching and it was straightforward and to the point. I don't see how the current ones benefit us... it's just stats xD.

• Members

If the activity page is your solution behind the removal of recent post, you might as well suggest that going through each section would have a similar effect.

It's about the ease of viewing, there's no universal where you could make the argument that knowing the total amount of members registered is of greater importance than seeing what has been recently posted.

If it's not a big deal, then I would highly recommend reconsidering, there's been more complaints about the removal of recently posted feature than positive feedback for the addition of the statistics.

You don't make changes for the sake of making changes.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

It could possibly come back.

it was removed because there’s an entire center dedicated to the latest content. You can even create your own stream so that you only see the new things that you want to see.

https://forum.xat.com/discover/

The birthday widget filters out inactive people.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

It could possibly come back.

it was removed because there’s an entire center dedicated to the latest content. You can even create your own stream so that you only see the new things that you want to see.

https://forum.xat.com/discover/

The birthday widget filters out inactive people.

This was my response to that; not sure if you missed it.

4 hours ago, Dann said:

@LaFleur

Most of this content can be found within the forum;

https://forum.xat.com/online/ this has its own page. (also used as a section on front page)

A simple member search on https://forum.xat.com/search/ will show you how many users registered:

cdgb6Ki.png

As I stated,

It was just a neat feature to have on the front page, it caused for less searching and it was straightforward and to the point. I don't see how the current ones benefit us... it's just stats xD.

I think the front page section was much more organized due to its simplicity , it showed you the latest topics being talked on. And showing HOT topics is always good because it shows topics that are currently being discussed greatly by the community.(often times these are important topics).

I just feel like those widgets are much more useful than the ones they were replaced with. @Brandon

• Advanced Members

@Dann

Let's take this opportunity to figure out what to add to the sidebar and what to remove.

Can you come up with some poll questions which will help determine this? We'll allow the entire community to vote on this topic. Just post sample poll questions that I can review, and I'll approve them and create a poll later.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

1. keep current widgets

2. Revert to previous widgets 

3. Keep current widgets & also re-add the previous ones.

4. Revert to previous widgets & keep newest members widget

@Brandon Those seem to be the options suggested within this post.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

With options three and four, there is a potential problem of the sidebar having too many things. As a guest, the sidebar could potentially be very large and go well past the available forums. This is why I decided to remove redundant things (things that can be found on the Activity page) while also adding new information such as statistics.

Plus, who actually uses the new topics or new replies widget? That only shows a few things. What if there are other topics you're interested in that aren't showing on the feed? How do people actually use the sidebar widget for new topics or replies? Wouldn't it make sense to go to each forum separately, and visit each topic that looks interesting or has new replies? Finding new topics or replies from the sidebar only leaves the opportunity to miss things if you aren't individually checking each section. Basically, I imagine that most people go to each section they're interested in and look for new topics and replies in that manner. If that's the case, the sidebar widget would be even more redundant.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

I think it might be useful, in the mobile version of the forum, it's now hard to look for the latest trheads in the forum. And it's also a way to let the user read the discussion. In this way, the discussions are read a few. (meh)

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Matti said:

I think it might be useful, in the mobile version of the forum, it's now hard to look for the latest trheads in the forum. And it's also a way to let the user read the discussion. In this way, the discussions are read a few. (meh)

Could you describe:

1. How exactly does the current design make it hard to search for the latest topics?
  2. How exactly would adding the widgets make it easier?

For example, are there too many taps that you have to make right now? Do you have to scroll too much? Why is it hard and what makes it hard? If you describe the problem clearly, I may be able to offer solutions to you.