Recent posts and Popular now topics section on forum

Dann

• Members
5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Could you describe:

1. How exactly does the current design make it hard to search for the latest topics?
  2. How exactly would adding the widgets make it easier?

For example, are there too many taps that you have to make right now? Do you have to scroll too much? Why is it hard and what makes it hard? If you describe the problem clearly, I may be able to offer solutions to you.

The current design doesn't make things difficult to search, it's just a few simple clicks.

The argument that I'm making is that the new widgets brings virtually nothing to the table. Before, recently posted and trending threads was at least, a neat feature I (and a lot of people) enjoyed, it made viewing things easier. I check the forum regularly and whenever I see someone has posted say, within the last 10 minute, I could just scroll down the bottom and see a preview, then decide whether it's worth opening the entire thread to read the post or not (most of the time will be the latter, since there are a lot of junk on the forum I couldn't care less about).

I think the better question would be: What does showing forum/member statistics actually accomplish? Instead of belittling the old widgets, we should look at what benefits the new widgets reaps.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we shouldn't make changes for the sake of making changes. I don't see anyone expressing the usefulness of the statistics.

Hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way, but it feels as if a discussion was held privately and a mutual decision was made amongst the group, now /they/'re too stubborn to realise it's not the best of decisions and is stubborn to revert.

• Advanced Members
8 hours ago, Matti said:

I think it might be useful, in the mobile version of the forum, it's now hard to look for the latest trheads in the forum. And it's also a way to let the user read the discussion. In this way, the discussions are read a few. (meh)

If you're on mobile the first icon at the very top right is about latest activity on the forum.

By default this page shows you unread content of the forum, meaning you could never miss anything. This page also allows you to change the filters as you prefer. 

This doesn't necessarily mean that statistics are more useful than recent posts on index or vise versa, but that there is something just for recent content which is even better and it just requires one click.

A poll as Brandon mentioned would be good to do. I'll add a list of possible widgets and options here later. @Brandon

• Advanced Members
7 hours ago, Brandon said:

How exactly does the current design make it hard to search for the latest topics?

First it was easier to see recent posts, now you have to search

How exactly would adding the widgets make it easier?

I think the widget should be put as before, even under the "Forum Statistics". I would like to remove "member stats" which makes no sense as widgets.

3 hours ago, LaFleur said:

If you're on mobile the first icon at the very top right is about latest activity on the forum.

By default this page shows you unread content of the forum, meaning you could never miss anything. This page also allows you to change the filters as you prefer. 

This page is useful, but I'm saying that in my opinion mobile, it's easier for everyone to search for the latest posts with the widget. @LaFleur, you did not say a nonsense, I'm just saying that phone was easier with the widget.

For example, are there too many taps that you have to make right now? Do you have to scroll too much? Why is it hard and what makes it hard? If you describe the problem clearly, I may be able to offer solutions to you.

There are not many taps, but before it was more practical to read the latest posts. I'm just saying that now without the widget you have to search for the discussions. 

• Advanced Members
6 hours ago, LaFleur said:

A poll as Brandon mentioned would be good to do. I'll add a list of possible widgets and options here later. @Brandon

Thanks, a poll should be made based off this list.

@Brandon I don't think this should be such a big deal, it's just some widgets are of more use than others.