Legacy Contract

Distinct

• Advanced Members

Don't know if this has been suggested before, but I'm going to assume that it hasn't been. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ignorant responses will be ignored!

Anyways, as you know there is a legacy contract on Facebook when a user dies, a close friend or relative can take control of their account/accounts.

I've been thinking that the same thing can be done on xat. I noticed that many users on xat in the past have passed away unfortunately, which could make it easier for the people closest to the deceased to take possession of their xat account.

Yes, I agree that this might connate security problems with xat accounts but that depends on how well a user protects their account/accounts.

In some sort of way this could provide a level of closure to the loved ones of the deceased as well as to close friends.

• Confused 2

• Administrators

On Facebook it's a lot easier to confirm family ties between the deceased and the claimant due to the usage of real names and relatives being tied to their account's about section.

Also, the deceased might not want their account to be taken over. I believe Facebook has a setting where you can choose who'll manage your account, once you're gone. More about legacy contract. Apparently you cannot take over a deceased person's account on Facebook, but there are a few options you can choose from, suggesting you pass verification. I quote "To protect the privacy of people on Facebook, we cannot provide anyone with login information for accounts."

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I don't want Danneh's account, nor powers. His account or powers won't make me feel better about losing him. I don't really care if volunteers/admin/contributors would decide to do that in the future, but not with his account. I guess that person who was his "friend" since she was 13 would want his account. Since I was with Danneh for 6 months, yeah it doesn't matter for some of you, and the last person who talked with from xat, I really don't accept this kind of thing.

• Advanced Members

There is absolutely 0 reason to take over the account of the deceased.

Simply stated. 

I'm sure if there is sufficient reasoning to do so, these users could take the issue up to admins and admins will decide, and I'm sure evidence and proof would have to be provided as well as a good reasoning.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
7 hours ago, Crow said:

This is a very sensitive issue, so I'll think carefully about what I write. 

It's not about closure per se. Heck, it would be weird and perhaps even distasteful to see the deceased person's account still signing in. I don't think other users should be given control of their account.

The real justification for this idea (which you don't mention at all) is money - plain and simple. 

The reality is that there's a ton of money involved in xat, which goes to waste when a user dies. Some users may have hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of possessions that would just be sitting around unused. That money can genuinely make a difference to a friend's life.

Personally, if I died, I'd want my friends to have my xats and powers (although not my IDs - they'd be my legacy). At that point, they'd be useless to me, and maybe my friend could buy a vacation to a place they always wanted to visit, or maybe it could pay their rent for a few months if they're struggling. 

But yes, I don't think the accounts themselves should be taken over. Maybe just the items within it - if both users wholly agreed to that, of course.

I see where you are going with that. Perhaps instead of xat giving away an account, they could just give away the powers, xats, and days of that deceased person. Yeah I understand that not many people would appreciate seeing other people using an account of someone who passed away, but it'll keep the memory of that person intact.

• No 1

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Lunala said:

I guess that person who was his "friend" since she was 13 would want his account.

It's not about being greedy and "wanting" their stuff. (Although, admittedly, it might look that way).

It's comparable to leaving a will or testament IRL. The deceased person wants you to have their belongings because you were special to them, and they would be wasted otherwise (especially on xat where expensive powers worth hundreds/thousands of $ are eventually deleted for inactivity). It's fair enough if you decide not to accept them.

But I agree the IDs themselves should not be taken over. Those should remain intact as a memory.

1 hour ago, Dann said:

I'm sure if there is sufficient reasoning to do so, these users could take the issue up to admins and admins will decide, and I'm sure evidence and proof would have to be provided as well as a good reasoning.

There'd need to be a proper system in place (like the Facebook one).

Maybe a little box - on a secure page - to write someone's name.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 minutes ago, Crow said:
2 hours ago, Dann said:

There'd need to be a proper system in place (like the Facebook one).

Maybe a little box - on a secure page - to write someone's name.

You can't compare xat to facebook. 

Unlike facebook, xat does not have 1B+ users.

These are focuses that are of 0 necessity at the moment, how often do situations like these come up? 

I'm sure it is a very rare occurrence, if it does come up. I am also positive that if you are a family member and if per your state/countries laws you are entitled to the deceased persons possessions, then you can provide the formal documents to xat staff and I'm sure they would give you possession of the account.

I am not saying this idea will be ineffective for xat, but in my opinion, at the moment it is not something that admins should put time into getting developed when there are things of greater importance to worry about. (like the ticket systems delayed departments).

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I'm against this suggestion. Unless the deceased person had given permission prior to their death, I see no reason for anything to be transferred to any accounts. The only way I see this actually being acceptable would be if any possessions on the account were transferred to a relatives account which seems very unlikely.

11 hours ago, Encrypt said:

Ignorant responses will be ignored!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it extremely disrespectful of you to ignore the feedback of someone who has faced the scenario you described. I really hope you take her feedback into consideration and don't just toss it aside as an 'ignorant' response.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I find it totally disrespectful to the person who died, the more close it is the family member or friend of one is always that the data of our accounts are entirely personal, I don't think that any person would like to share your data or give your account to another person, in my case, I do not like and I think that no one else is either

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

In my opinion I think that if the owner of the account wanted to let his family know that he had an account in xat etc this would already know how to recover it introducing the data that asks xat.

I think that including this would be something totally illogical and never seen

• Award 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Crow said:

It's not about being greedy and "wanting" their stuff. (Although, admittedly, it might look that way).

It's comparable to leaving a will or testament IRL. The deceased person wants you to have their belongings because you were special to them, and they would be wasted otherwise (especially on xat where expensive powers worth hundreds/thousands of $ are eventually deleted for inactivity). It's fair enough if you decide not to accept them.

I just personally feel like a will is a bit dramatic for xat. The value behind their powers/xats should be the least of anyone's concern when a friend passes, despite how much it may be worth. Saying it'll "go to waste" sounds sketchy to me. I believe accounts should be left alone entirely in respect to that person. 

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Chelly said:

I'm against this suggestion. Unless the deceased person had given permission prior to their death, I see no reason for anything to be transferred to any accounts. The only way I see this actually being acceptable would be if any possessions on the account were transferred to a relatives account which seems very unlikely.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it extremely disrespectful of you to ignore the feedback of someone who has faced the scenario you described. I really hope you take her feedback into consideration and don't just toss it aside as an 'ignorant' response.

What I meant was that if a user replied to this thread that has nothing to do with the topic, or is criticizing my suggestion in a way that sounds remotely rude to me, I will take that response as ignorance. Just reply to my thread in a gentle and courtesy manner, and I'll repay the same behavior back to you. No hard feelings.