Titles and vote system

Christina

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Christina said:

I also feel the vote system is flawed.  I personally do not like it.  I can sit there reading a post and be able to tell you who the first 3 people

to like it will be.  I see it as a system of points you acquire from your friends.  Its really never about the topic at hand much.

i agree sometimes with the part ''i see it as a system of points you acquire from your friends'' but not always. With the vote system, many people, every time they suggest something or post something that IS HELPFUL to xat or the forum, can see that people are taking their suggestions serious and that can be helpful to xat. 

• Award 1
  • Cool 1

• Bot Service Providers
5 minutes ago, Adeis said:

i agree sometimes with the part ''i see it as a system of points you acquire from your friends'' but not always. With the vote system, many people, every time they suggest something or post something that IS HELPFUL to xat or the forum, can see that people are taking their suggestions serious and that can be helpful to xat. 

We both.

• Advanced Members

I actually agree, why should someone whos been a volunteer for a few months then resign deserve the title for it? retired volunteer doesn't exactly state if the user has been good or bad, no matter the circumstances anyone that was volunteer for over a certain time should be given the title

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I think that some of you are  missing the point.  The bigger picture is that it is being used as a way to impersonate and scam.

Its worthless...just as you said Chelly. I do not want this personal, about me.  Even though, I knew it would be. My example of the above volunteer,

was not even me.  No one has been a volunteer for 10 years for one, to make that clear.  I also still help users without crying rank on any chat.

It's just what I do.

If anyone were to give such a title, it should be admins alone.  Not users who do not know stories behind every volunteers decision to leave. Not a

system that clearly uses cliques to promote.  Anyone who truly cares about helping xat, does not care title.  Lets also not forget how hard a few volunteers

fought to keep an anonymous ticket system and the reasons behind it.  These titles are going against everything they stood for.  If you guys want to rip me apart

and say I am salty..go for it.  But I know I am right out of principal.  You should all think of the greater good of xat and the users, focus on that, instead.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

Don't see any issue with such title, as long as the volunteer left on good terms. It doesn't matter how long this user has been a vol. in my eyes.

I also doubt how this would facilitate scam or phishing, it's not different than any other title, and if something like that would happen still, you could report it just like you would do for anything else. 

• Award 5

• Advanced Members

I imagine that in short about the roles that the position receives are correct, there are risks to be taken into account however all those who have achieved such a success have been successful in fulfilling their functions within the forum and there is no plausible reason to stop having this merit recognized within it.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

I don't think that there's a risk on being scammed just because someone have the title of "Retired Volunteer". Anyway, there are always people who are impersonating Volunteers, Wiki staff, Chat managers, etc... so, there's always a "risk" on being scammed(not only because someone have this title).

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, LaFleur said:

Don't see any issue with such title, as long as the volunteer left on good terms. It doesn't matter how long this user has been a vol. in my eyes

Then they should change it back to Emeritus because @Brandon would have a stronger reason as to why he refuses to give those who deserve the title lol. 

You wouldn't like it if someone discredits all the work you put into something for 8+ years. 

But I agree this subject is dead. No matter how much you try to debate with logic and sense it doesn't work. 

Imo we should discuss how to adv the forum so more people know about it, especially since we now know the admins/smiley makers actually do take our suggestions. I can imagine there are so many unique power suggestions but people don't know where to post them. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

The title is temporarily "Retired Volunteer," but the meaning of emeritus is still applied; in other words, only people who left on good terms are eligible to receive it. The title will either be renamed or will be removed completely in the near future.

I did not decide (nor do I decide) who gets the title. The criteria for the title was decided by all contributors. If a former volunteer doesn't have the title, it's most likely the case that they left on bad terms. In cases like this, the number of years of service is irrelevant.

What has been happening recently is that only a very small subset of people have been complaining about the existence of the title and have created all the drama surrounding it. Such arguments against the title are made under the guise that the title is unimportant, but the existence of the drama stands to show that the title actually is important and that it is desired. Who knew such a simple, well-meaning thing would be turned into such an issue?

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The title is temporarily "Retired Volunteer," but the meaning of emeritus is still applied; in other words, only people who left on good terms are eligible to receive it. The title will either be renamed or will be removed completely in the near future.

I did not decide (nor do I decide) who gets the title. The criteria for the title was decided by all contributors. If a former volunteer doesn't have the title, it's most likely the case that they left on bad terms. In cases like this, the number of years of service is irrelevant.

What has been happening recently is that only a very small subset of people have been complaining about the existence of the title and have created all the drama surrounding it. Such arguments against the title are made under the guise that the title is unimportant, but the existence of the drama stands to show that the title actually is important and that it is desired. Who knew such a simple, well-meaning thing would be turned into such an issue?

Actually Brandon..having these titles goes against what the past volunteers that you claim to admire stood for.  They fought hard to get the ticket system anonymous.  They fought hard to keep contributors anonymous.  

It is only important to a little clique who needs the rank.  I can also state at least 3 current volunteers were "relieved of duties" in past.  Will you choose to deny them as well?  My argument on this still stands.  Not you

offering contributors a generic thread to vote, without knowing facts on each volunteer.  Personally, it became principal for

me with changing the "title" and others wanting to add things like chat owners, etc.  Its downright dumb.  Abolish the titles, period. They aren't needed.  

People are using it as a means to try and phish.  And I know you see it every day.  So you can continue to choose to ignore it and deny.  But we both know the truth.  

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
57 minutes ago, Christina said:

Actually Brandon..having these titles goes against what the past volunteers that you claim to admire stood for.  They fought hard to get the ticket system anonymous.

This argument is not consistent. Those volunteers argued for anonymous names on tickets, not total anonymity across the website. They were recognized as volunteers on the forum and on the wiki, so that argument doesn't really stand well.

I can also state at least 3 current volunteers were "relieved of duties" in past.  Will you choose to deny them as well?

We can answer this by using the criteria that is in place: Could the ex-volunteer in question be welcomed back as a volunteer again? Since the people you're referring to were relieved of their duties and then were allowed back on the team, the answer is no, they wouldn't be denied.

Not you offering contributors a generic thread to vote, without knowing facts on each volunteer.

Instead of voting on a particular ex-volunteer, we used the opportunity to setup a criteria for all ex-volunteers. The same set of questions are asked for each person who is being considered for the title. Therefore, the specific facts are not always important, since the answer can be found without knowing all of the ex-volunteer's history.

Personally, it became principal for

me with changing the "title" and others wanting to add things like chat owners, etc.  Its downright dumb.  Abolish the titles, period. They aren't needed. 

We didn't intend for the meaning to change for the title. In fact, the meaning was meant to stay the same. The reason for the renaming was to make it more simplistic: People would no longer need to ask what emeritus meant. However, the unintended consequence is that people think it now has a different meaning. I agree with your other statements. We don't need a title for chat owners, for example. They can create a club themselves, so a user group is not needed, as they would not have a private forum other than the one in their club. However, the only title that is truly not needed is "Retired Volunteer." For this reason, it's being considered for removal. The rest of the titles are not dumb and are necessary.

• Advanced Members
15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Instead of voting on a particular ex-volunteer, we used the opportunity to setup a criteria for all ex-volunteers. The same set of questions are asked for each person who is being considered for the title. Therefore, the specific facts are not always important, since the answer can be found without knowing all of the ex-volunteer's history.

Actually i could debunk this whole false criteria, easily.  There are things only old volunteers  and Admins would know.  I see honor given to some that were "removed", for example.  However...my goal is NOT to take away from anyone, or single anyone out.  Also you were not privileged to the discussions to state the anonymity given met only certain areas, while not others.  These titles came only after your service, perhaps shortly before.   I can also give you a list of classified volunteers who were NEVER listed on wiki, again is not my goal.  I only answer to what you state or claim that I know to be false and untrue.  Hense the whole I do not feel it is YOUR right or any of the contributors right to decide who gets what.  Only Admins should have that call.  

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

The word retired (emeritus) means retired, not kicked outThis thread sounds more personal more than anything. 

Most points you've stated against it don't even make sense. 

You said people use this to impersonate, phish and scam. First of all, has this been reported at all? Secondly, scammers attempt to impersonate volunteers all the time, retired or not retired. You also stated they impersonate as you and you don't even have the title. So how would removing the title stop anything if you don't even have the title? So going by what you said in the same argument, phishing and scamming would take place regardless of having the title or no title. 

Your other argument of volunteers fighting to keep the ticket system anonymous also makes absolutely zero sense. They were not anonymous on the forum or even the wiki. The reason they kept that anonymity was to avoid being harassed due to ticket replies. Counter arguing that point with "not being priveleged to the discussion" shows you've lost that one. 

And for the record, volunteers who were not listed anywhere was done by personal choice, the same goes for this forum title. 

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
14 minutes ago, Christina said:

Only Admins should have that call.  

Admins are focused on more important things than titles, which is why it was delegated to the Contributors to decide criteria. ;) 

Seems this debate keeps popping up every three months when the community should be focused on more important things! 

It doesn't "help the users" to keep debating this silly question. 

• Award 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, Phin said:

Why does a rank on a virtual website even matter? It's not like you're being crowned Queen of England or anything.

Oh boy. We all wish it were that easy...

• Confused 1

• Advanced Members

I guess for me despite the safety issues and too address solely what most here have focused on...

The title is a disgrace.  One made up to honor those you choose.

You have failed to honor the original volunteers before there was title listed on wiki.

You have failed in giving someone title who was not a ticket volunteer, despite stating the honor is for those.

You have failed at learning the history of the volunteering community and by classifying certain individuals who would

not deserve based on the "standards" presented, while discrediting others.  Congrats!

It really is just some pretty colored letters on a forum that has 0 merit. I hope that I have enlightened some and educated others.

Keep the title  so as not to cater to  those who may be bitter or weak as Steven suggested, if it makes you happy. 

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1