New reputation system

Nezhit

• Bot Service Providers

I have an suggestion about something that would make the reputation system better... the system is also called as "Karma" or "User-rating".

It would be based in:

• Daily posts

What could be prevented by using that?

==> People who only want to get reputation and be the first on the Leaderboard's system using methods like: Asking other people to like their posts, or doing useless and no-sense comments just to receive reputation.

Examples:

50 posts, 20 reputation points.

==> 50 + 20 / 20 == 3,5

5 posts, 2 reputation points.

==> 5 + 2 / 20 == 0,35

It is being used POST_NUMBER + REPUTATION_NUMBER / 20 == KARMA POINTS

KcmDgo.png

--

RH4MiA.png

Before saying that the suggestion is useless, look, don't say this doesn't happen, because I saw moderators or volunteers (Idk who do that) but I was noticed that users had their reputation removed, and I'm sure that's the reason, uh?

Many people may not like the suggestion cuz most of them are people that do this.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

I'd like to start off by saying that the little call-out at the end of your post is not needed. You can make your suggestion without taking a jab at people who may be reading it.

With that being said, I don't think this is a bad idea. I am in favor of reform to the reputation system. I don't think it's bad by any means, but there is certainly room for improvement. I agree with your idea that simply liking someone's post shouldn't automatically give them reputation points. Some posts get likes due to the type of posts that they are (congratulatory, power announcements, etc.) even if they aren't what many would consider "high quality." 

I'm a bit confused by your math, and the need for the comma. Could you explain it further? 

As it stands, I think this could be used as an add-on to the current reputation system, not a replacement for it. I do, however, think that this is a perfect time to gather ideas about how the reputation system could potentially be reformed to best reflect the community's interpretation of high quality posts and users.

• Award 1

• Bot Service Providers
9 minutes ago, Unity said:

I'm a bit confused by your math, and the need for the comma. Could you explain it further? 

Actually it's being used because I've set the example using round()'s PHP function, so will prevent things like 0,354154165156 because I'm using division on the math, or being clean... something like 0,4531651651 would be just 0,45

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Laming said:

Actually it's being used because I've set the example using round()'s PHP function, so will prevent things like 0,354154165156 because I'm using division on the math, or being clean... something like 0,4531651651 would be just 0,45

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong, Unity) why are you choosing to divide by 20? 

(50+20)/20 = 3.5 is a true statement, but where did the denominator of 20 come from? Did you make it up? Do other IPS subforums use karma points and 20 is the dividing factor? 

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Angelo said:

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong, Unity) why are you choosing to divide by 20? 

(50+20)/20 = 3.5 is a true statement, but where did the denominator of 20 come from? Did you make it up? Do other IPS subforums use karma points and 20 is the dividing factor? 

This is basically the source of my confusion as well. The idea makes sense, but the denominator of 20 doesn't seem like it's based on anything. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a more common number like 50 or 100?

• Award 1

• Volunteers
13 hours ago, Unity said:

As it stands, I think this could be used as an add-on to the current reputation system, not a replacement for it.

Agreed. While I'm not sure if this example of a points system is the best one, I do believe some sort of user ladder or points/trophy system should be created to ensure continued growth and evolution on the forum.

The reputation system is mainly about likes, and while it does keep things ticking along, it is pretty boring. Another system that is primarily focused on being a helpful and active member of the forum would be interesting. 

Some thoughts:

-Receiving points for amount of posts (100, 200, 300 etc)

-Receiving points for helping with answering questions/best answer in general support section

-Receiving points by the number of threads created

-Receiving points for reporting posts that lead to action being taken

Obviously tight moderation would need to take place to ensure it isn't abused.  

• Advanced Members
10 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I dont really see the point in this because, no one puts actual value in the reputation points on here, unless there's a secret society that only cares about the points.. and if people are caught asking for points the vols will delete them once they're caught. 

i think more effort should be put into advertising the actual forum and getting more people to use it because the same users are just seen posting and reacting. 

Agreed, but at the same time I agree this is a better rep system overall - perhaps no one puts actual value into rep points as they are because they heavily reward having friends like your posts, and posting a lot of content doesn't get rewarded?

You have two ends of the spectrum, one that rewards having the same people like your posts continually to get lots of rep (current one) and one that rewards continually posting even though it may not be useful content. Neither of these are desired, and so to minimise both they should both be weighted equally (as the "karma" system shown here does).

TL;DR, as opposed to not fixing the current rep system because it's pointless, perhaps we could fix it so it isn't pointless (using an idea similar to the one OP suggested)?

Also, to add to the suggestion, the number could be rounded to the nearest whole number as opposed to keeping it in decimal form when viewed, and could perhaps be viewed in decimal form when hovered over.

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Apparently, for some it's important to get a lot of points.

I will do a little tutorial.

You need to make constructed posts around an idea.

Suggest something cool and good for the community.

Joke, just be the first to post the new power and don't forget to give away one of them every weeks. (http://prntscr.com/gxmyfd)

I think this is unfair the one who made the power should be the one getting the points or perhaps transfer the points  (http://prntscr.com/gxmyfd) to the smileymaker. 

• Volunteers
41 minutes ago, 6 said:

I think this is unfair the one who made the power should be the one getting the points or perhaps transfer the points  (http://prntscr.com/gxmyfd) to the smileymaker. 

It's possible to remove reactions, but I'd never do it unless there was an agreed system in place. :$

• Bot Service Providers

The point is,

"lol this post sucks" - 15 rep

"lol awesome post" - 20 rep

** useful comment/post ** - 5 rep

Actually as I see a lot yes, theres ppl just asking other in-chat and getting likes based in comments/posts nosense or that is not useful in any way.

Well, karma-system also can be useful if based in posts amount, likes, time online... Their activity, not simply an amount easy to get and ya.

An example of that are gaming forums, their system are based in things like that... "You want to see a hidden content? So you should have karma needed, get them posting, being active and doing useful stuff" - not suggesting to change hidden system...

Actually is simply used a system "Hey my post is awesome" while in-chat "hey like my post..." or just getting likes from friends...

Vols will never know who do that as well, so in anyway removing points is unless.

• Advanced Members

^ post for likes.

But no, In reality.... 

Does it really matter? Are we judging people based off of their forum reputation? haha.

I am pretty sure when judgment is due, it comes down to the quality of the user's posts and not the amount of 'likes' a user has.

I just don't find that 'reputation number' to be a big deal, it just shows people like your content, does not mean anything reputable in my opinion.

I don't think we should be putting importance on something that really shouldn't have much importance.

That's my opinion.

• Award 4