Jump to content
Samuel

463 OCTO

Recommended Posts

New power is Octo

 

VOtWxZY.gif

 

ID: 463
Name:  Octo
Status: Limited
Smilies: octo, octoback, octoblush, octobreak, octocry, octoink, octojoy, octomad, octoneutral, octosleep, octoswt, octotarget, octotongue, octowink
Pawns: (hat#ho)
Price: 250 xats

 

NEW:

 

Smilies: octotiny, octocute, octofx

Pawns: (hat#hc) (hat#ht)

Hug: /hug octo Your message here#optional color code

 

The wiki page: https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Octo

  • Like 3
  • No 1
  • Meh 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe add a deep sea hug, which I don't believe we've had before. The octopus could squirt ink to write the message (although that might be too complicated (toj)).

 

Put old sea smilies in the background too, e.g. the turtle, crab, jellyfish or starfish from Sea power, and maybe the submarine from Aquatic power. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crow said:

Maybe add a deep sea hug, which I don't believe we've had before. The octopus could squirt ink to write the message (although that might be too complicated (toj)).

 

Put old sea smilies in the background too, e.g. the turtle, crab, jellyfish or starfish from Sea power, and maybe the submarine from Aquatic power. 

Definitely worth considering. Doesn't seem like too much effort either.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 

14 minutes ago, Crow said:

The octopus could squirt ink to write the message (although that might be too complicated (toj)).

 

I think this would be a good idea too with a kiss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not a criticism in Mikes power alone.  This is just a general observation, as of lately.

Must we use the same template for each of the smileys?  It makes me feel its the same smiley redone, 

which it pretty much is.  Tentacles can be re positioned or added, as per example on this one. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Christina said:

This is not a criticism in Mikes power alone.  This is just a general observation, as of lately.

Must we use the same template for each of the smileys?  It makes me feel its the same smiley redone, 

which it pretty much is.  Tentacles can be re positioned or added, as per example on this one. 

So what you mean is more unique "backs" / expressions ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mike said:

So what you mean is more unique "backs" / expressions ?

I can not say anything about expression, because each is different.  The backs being changed from one another, or having a few more options,

will make the user feel they are getting more for their money. the 10 Octo bodies are the same template, aside from unique facial expression

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Christina said:

This is not a criticism in Mikes power alone.  This is just a general observation, as of lately.

Must we use the same template for each of the smileys?  It makes me feel its the same smiley redone, 

which it pretty much is.  Tentacles can be re positioned or added, as per example on this one. 

 

You're right.

Everything is becoming routine. Not a criticism, it's my opinion. This is not the first time I say it. When xat releases a power, why not consult the users if they liked it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JeanGraphics said:

 

You're right.

Everything is becoming routine. Not a criticism, it's my opinion. This is not the first time I say it. When xat releases a power, why not consult the users if they liked it?

This is exactly why i've decided to make the post I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mike said:

So what you mean is more unique "backs" / expressions ?

maybe try new animations, for example the angel power is still being used because of the wings, maybe have a power dedicated to adding new and unique wings. or this power for example, the octopus can be squeezing any emoticon and you can replace the squeezed emoticon with anything you want, the code go something like (osqueeze#maniac).

 

having different animations and different styles would be really refreshing to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 7:40 PM, Mike said:

This is exactly why i've decided to make the post I did.

Thank you for creating the post you did.

 

I was very hesitant about posting my opinion on the post as I did not want to offend anyones work. But considering you are open to criticism here is mine:

 

The power tends to be very repetitive: Same backs, same legs, different expressions but certain same aspects.

 

The quality of the power is poor:

  • Sharp edges on "wiggly" legs
  • Half the powers have the same style mouth/eyes. ( I don't understand how the same mouth alone is able to represent sleeping/neutral/mad/joy/cry/blush)
  • Same legs different speeds ( I think different expressions should have different stances. not just the same animation but faster/slower)
  • "inking" out the mouth? (don't know why this disturbs me, but it does xD) In my opinion it should be just a cloud of ink that arises from below.

 

The power overall looks very amateur. And looks as if there was a lack of effort put in to it.

 

My criticism is intended to be taken in a positive way so that you guys can provide the best quality work possible. @Mike

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

\Here's a bit of feedback that I'd like to give (and this is not specifically about OCTO 463, so if I need to make my own thread, just tell me)\

 

A decent chunk of our smiley powers were taken from an outside source. They were not copied exactly, but the ideas for each smiley were mimicked into the powers we have today. I am totally fine with this, as I think it's great to incorporate ideas from other sources. I understand a majority of them are from websites that designate that the smilies are for free use, too. However, I think since xat is charging people to use these smilies, the source of the original idea should at least be creditedThis is just to clear up any confusion about ideas being stolen or credited as someone elses. I think Mike does a wonderful job of re-imagining some of the stuff he finds, but I want to ensure that the idea is not credited as his, simply the recreation. Maybe it would be best on the wiki?

 

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reaper

https://chinesefontdesign.com/27-black-ghost-boy-communicator-emoticons.html

 

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Caterpillar

 

1121212112.png

 

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animegirl

https://chinesefontdesign.com/40-izumi-konata-cute-anime-girl-emoticons.html

 

On a side note, I agree with what Christina and Danns have to say as well as far as "routine" goes. Lately most smiley powers have been the same shaped back with different expressions/colors, and slight variations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dann said:

Thank you for creating the post you did.

 

I was very hesitant about posting my opinion on the post as I did not want to offend anyones work. But considering you are open to criticism here is mine:

 

The power tends to be very repetitive: Same backs, same legs, different expressions but certain same aspects.

 

The quality of the power is poor:

  • Sharp edges on "wiggly" legs
  • Half the powers have the same style mouth/eyes. ( I don't understand how the same mouth alone is able to represent sleeping/neutral/mad/joy/cry/blush)
  • Same legs different speeds ( I think different expressions should have different stances. not just the same animation but faster/slower)
  • "inking" out the mouth? (don't know why this disturbs me, but it does xD) In my opinion it should be just a cloud of ink that arises from below.

 

The power overall looks very amateur. And looks as if there was a lack of effort put in to it.

 

My criticism is intended to be taken in a positive way so that you guys can provide the best quality work possible. @Mike

 

 

I appreciate the feedback. The legs were difficult to do variations on each one so that wouldn't be realistic if the power was to get done. I believe there could be some sort of alteration for them but not every single one would need it imo. The inkling in mouth is basically similar to octorok from zelda that spits out nuts / seeds except it was with goop, similar to how a blooper from super mario sunshine spits out goop so that seemed fine to me.

3 hours ago, Angelo said:

\Here's a bit of feedback that I'd like to give (and this is not specifically about OCTO 463, so if I need to make my own thread, just tell me)\

 

A decent chunk of our smiley powers were taken from an outside source. They were not copied exactly, but the ideas for each smiley were mimicked into the powers we have today. I am totally fine with this, as I think it's great to incorporate ideas from other sources. I understand a majority of them are from websites that designate that the smilies are for free use, too. However, I think since xat is charging people to use these smilies, the source of the original idea should at least be creditedThis is just to clear up any confusion about ideas being stolen or credited as someone elses. I think Mike does a wonderful job of re-imagining some of the stuff he finds, but I want to ensure that the idea is not credited as his, simply the recreation. Maybe it would be best on the wiki?

 

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reaper

https://chinesefontdesign.com/27-black-ghost-boy-communicator-emoticons.html

 

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Caterpillar

 

1121212112.png

 

https://util.xat.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animegirl

https://chinesefontdesign.com/40-izumi-konata-cute-anime-girl-emoticons.html

 

On a side note, I agree with what Christina and Danns have to say as well as far as "routine" goes. Lately most smiley powers have been the same shaped back with different expressions/colors, and slight variations.

A lot of powers are inspired from "references" from other sites like Caterpillar etc. If you feel they look too similar where credit is needed then that means they need to be changed to look entirely different and that's fine. For future powers i'll try to be aware of how they look so they don't look like copy / rip offs of other powers. Coming up with ideas can be tricky so it's much preferred that the community / users suggest powers that we can then adapt to make xat style and make something great.

 

"Lately most smiley powers have been the same shaped back with different expressions/colors, and slight variations." - If the same shaped back with different expressions / colors and slight variations is not enough can you explain more what you would prefer to see? For example with octo, what would you want as far as more diverse backs / breaking up the routine? Trying to understand the main issue of the powers so that future powers don't have the same issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike said:

Coming up with ideas can be tricky so it's much preferred that the community / users suggest powers that we can then adapt to make xat style and make something great.

 

I think that there are a lot of good suggestions for smilie powers that would be really nice to have on xat, you can find them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.