Guests sending links

HelperNate

• Advanced Members

Lately I've seen people asking for help or showing something legit to a chat, but they were guest and couldn't send the link and instead use a comma. Other users could also be unaware that sending something such as "like..a.message" as a guest will also not go through.

I was thinking there should be a setting somewhere in the chat, perhaps gcontrol, that allowed the usage of guests to send links in the chat. Settings such as unregistered guests and above, registered guests and above, and subscribed guests and above. That way if someone has a legit link they want to show to the chat, it will go through.

K55YWDd.png

• Volunteers
9 minutes ago, Samu said:

To improve it i would add that to prevent abuse of this, you could create a list with the links that are allowed to send.

A white list where you add links eg. youtube.com

I got it for you.

• Volunteers

Trusting on guests to send any link on the main chat...  that would be too dangerous in my opinion.

As it already is with them transmitting scam / phishing links through private chats ... 

I'd say that the LINK group power exists exactly for this type of need. 

Want to allow guests to use links? Assign link power, set your predefined link(s) and let them use it.

I like @LaFleur's whitelist idea because it's util for social media sharing. 

Main owners would be able to allow youtube linking, imgur, postimage, twitter, facebook, vimeo etc.

But allowing guests to send any link at all, it would be a risk that I wouldn't take on my chat.

Now, re-using your gcontrol idea... 

There could be an option to determine which "rank-type" can use the white-listed links, e.g.

[Guests to use whitelist]: (Subscribers only), (Registered only), (All users).

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

This is an interesting point, any link that has sub-pages or is likely to have its content changed has the potential to be used for phishing, really dangerous.

I guess we've a lot of untrusted users to risk such a thing. It could be included in gcontrol (or whitelist) which is also feasible.

Now, joining a whitelist of social networks could be allowed through this, something not too expansive so there are no future problems.

You would want to whitelist wiki for example, so guests can also link other users if they're looking for help and for others sites to: (i.e. forum, youtube links).

Also, it would be useful to have better control of what's being linked in your chat and allow important links without having to member people (useful in official chats).

• Bot Service Providers

I like your idea,

What about... if a chat owner wants to set just moderator or higher to send links? this would be very useful for them.

It should be changed a few things like:

* Minimum rank to send links:

==> Guest

==> Member

==> Moderator

==> Owner

==> Main Owner

It's extremely easy to make a power / feature using that logic. It will just need a new thing on gp packet e.g: g462="guest" (just an example). Then it will be loaded via chat.swf

It should work like that if the minimum rank is set for guests:

kAAomQyETVmEtdzsjWhr0Q.png

(you can see guest links using client already)

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

I like this suggestion. To up it more, I would make the gcontrol power (if I was a developer) customize the ranks individually. Using your example, I would want to allow guest send links, but maybe members not. This comparison is kind of silly, but I hope you know where I'm going with this.