xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

Abandon the Contributors.

Mynewcar

• Members

Hi, So my little suggestion is pretty clear that probably a lot of users and contributors themselves will probably agree with,

I honestly feel like the Contributors rank isn't benefiting xat as all of xat deserve to have a say in the up coming news and events and other stuff that contributors have access to discuss about.

I honestly feel before this group was added into xat we all communicated as a Community, all gave our opinions on whatever issues they was thrown at the community.

We need to make the Forum like it used to be back in 2009. We need to talk to each other and communicate as a community not as a solo group.

I'm not making this thread because I'm not a "Contributor" because that has no impact on me.

• Award 2

• Members
5 minutes ago, Karl said:

Posts like this really aggravate me, purely for the reason that the OP has never been in the group and doesn't really know what it's about. 

Problem is, it's far too late for the community to be involved and there are certain things that don't require a community discussion however the group is handled totally wrong. It's now an achievement to become a contributor and people have it on their xatspaces. The group should be a select *few* people without the ability to invite anyone else, volunteer added only. No indication of who they are, no forum badges or a wiki page that just gives people a stupid ego and its pointless. 

Getting rid of it isn't the right answer, fixing it however probably is. 

At this point I also don't believe there are enough people who know enough about xat and are willing/able to give positive input into a discussion on semi-serious topics.

In reality, the majority of peoples on xats opinions do not matter and nothing gets done. 

12 minutes ago, Mynewcar said:

I'm not making this thread because I'm not a "Contributor" because that has no impact on me.

• Members
1 minute ago, Karl said:

Read what I said, and then see if your reply has any substance. You were never in the group and don't know what it's about. case closed.

1. I never was in the group NOR do I want to be.

2. Why does xat need a "Contrubutors" rank? Honestly, just because someone has helped out a few times on a chat and on a forum doesn't give them a bit of privilege from other members in this so secret section.

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Mynewcar said:

2. Why does xat need a "Contrubutors" rank? Honestly, just because someone has helped out a few times on a chat and on a forum doesn't give them a bit of privilege from other members in this so secret section.

1. Surprisingly, I don't think I ever said that, however you seem to think I'm 31 so it must be my memory acting up, old age aye.

2. Because they are actually able to give constructive and productive points on how to improve things. Threads like this prove that the vast majority of xat isn't able to do that.

• Members

Totally agree because the majority of the Contributors believe they are the big thing here and most of them do hope to reach for volunteer, they dont do <censored>, they are egocentric just because they have a little bit of """attention""" from admin and also about what they get told, we all get to know that sooner or later, its no any big news what they get told honestly

But again, it's again too late for this wonderful idea because everyone opinions get ignored, the <censored> nonsense useless one get attention and the good ones ignored, like always

ALSO its very important to say anyone who has the enough contacts cough cough xat official main owners or another contrib/vols friend can get contributor easily, same happens for wiki translators

• Advanced Members
14 minutes ago, Mynewcar said:

I have a million reasons why it must exist!
a contributor may become a moderator when members do not!

Maybe better delete any contribuitors but not rank contribuitors! Change others contribuitors, its not reason Close, delete the contribuitors rank.

I agre with karl! almost everything. (wailing)

• Advanced Members

The idea of "contributors" was initially started on a good basis. And it seems nothing came of it.

In my honest opinion, these group of peoples opinion should carry HEAVY IMPORTANCE on the community of xat.(contributors)

I also feel a group of this caliber should be able to vote/decide on things that will potentially affect the community as a whole.

So my opinion would not be to only dissolve the group, but to bring back a better version of the group.

A version where the admins actually listen and take into consideration changes. A version where EACH AND EVERY single post comes to a good resolution. A version where if they see something unfair or wrong in the way the community is handled, they could speak on it and change would be inevitable.

My point essentially is to make a group where CHANGE to PROSPER and EVOLVE xat should be the main priority, all whilst making "xat great again" (as tom2's post stated).

But unfortunately, this all goes down to what the admins want and are willing to work with.

I know nothing will come of this thread(apart from dissolving the group), but maybe we should think about what's BEST for xat and not just the group in itself. @Admin as always I will be tagging admins on topics that I find important (doubt they will ever start watching)

Lets hope for a better version of the group!

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Lol most of this was rubbish, rememeber when you begged me to suggest you as a contributor? 

As a contributor for xat, I expect you handle yourself professionally at all times. Due to this post I shall be reporting you.

Side note, can you get me contributor please.

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteers
28 minutes ago, Agustina said:

ALSO its very important to say anyone who has the enough contacts cough cough xat official main owners or another contrib/vols friend can get contributor easily, same happens for wiki translators

Out of 24 current wiki translators, only 4 are contributors. If you look more closely, 2 of them were chat managers before and one of them was made a wiki translator after being made a contributor. In other words, only a single wiki translator was made a contributor and there were plenty of other reasons.

Out of 15 (non-/former/-volunteer) main chat managers, only 4 are contributors. Two of them were made chat managers after and the other 2 are both managing 2 official chats at the same time. Once again, I doubt that was the only reason for them being added.

As for the wiki editors, most of us are also contributors. Yet, only half of us were wiki editors before being made contributors. Nevertheless, being a wiki editor isn't a sufficient reason to be made a contributor, once again.

I do agree to some extent than if all of the contributor team knows you, you have a better chance of being invited. This is a huge bias, yet if anyone has any idea how to solve that, they should suggest it right now. Do you expect human beings to invite users they have never heard of? Or users that, yet appreciated by many people, have a bad history with xat?

Edit: 28% of the contributors aren't (and weren't) part of any other group. I'm safe to say they were made contributors for at least 3 different reasons.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Lol most of this was rubbish, rememeber when you begged me to suggest you as a contributor? 

2 minutes ago, Karl said:

As a contributor for xat, I expect you handle yourself professionally at all times. Due to this post I shall be reporting you.

Side note, can you get me contributor please.

lets hope his post gets edited for drama, eh? maybe just remove the last part of that sentence.

• Advanced Members
Just now, Karl said:

I am handling it professionally. 

I don't suggest people cause they tell me too, I know if I should suggest the or not without them telling me.

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

All this facts you "say" is not even true.

People are suggested if they do stuff that helps xat

This is far from professional, and you should be reported.

2 minutes ago, Dann said:

lets hope his post gets edited for drama, eh? maybe just remove the last part of that sentence.

When you dont know what sarcasm is.

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, Sydno said:

I do agree to some extent than if all of the contributor team knows you, you have a better chance of being invited. This is a huge bias, yet if anyone has any idea how to solve that, they should suggest it right now. Do you expect human beings to invite users they have never heard of? Or users that, yet appreciated by many people, have a bad history with xat?

If you wanna be known, you gotta be loud.

Make yourself known, and people will notice you.

Sure people may be a great fit for group -insert name here-, but if you don't speak up and try and do somethin you're not going to get very far my dude.

also, ayy lmao

as always, i think this is what i mean?

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Who is saying you can't talk to each other and with the community about issues (let me remind you of this)? If you have something in your mind, share it.

The contribs section more or less has topics, which are not meant for the public and at the same time allows to have a closer interaction with admins/vols due to a increased trust level. 

• Award 2

• Volunteers

There's no need to abolish it. 

If you want to discuss more things in public, that's fine. But we also need a trusted group of diverse users to discuss private issues too (things which aren't suitable for public spectacle). 

You'll lose so much experience and expertise if you limit these discussions to volunteers only. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Mynewcar said:

Hi, So my little suggestion is pretty clear that probably a lot of users and contributors themselves will probably agree with,

I honestly feel like the Contributors rank isn't benefiting xat as all of xat deserve to have a say in the up coming news and events and other stuff that contributors have access to discuss about.

I honestly feel before this group was added into xat we all communicated as a Community, all gave our opinions on whatever issues they was thrown at the community.

We need to make the Forum like it used to be back in 2009. We need to talk to each other and communicate as a community not as a solo group.

But apologize for a second... If the contributors do not need you to remove them? There are other people to whom they can serve, if they have this degree in the forum there will be a reason you do not believe? For example, they are available on the forum to help and maintain the order against insults to users/chat/volunteers. Let's stop saying scams, i think xat is doing fine this way. The word itself says "contributors", if you do not know what it means to search the dictionary. |-)

I'm saving you the trouble of looking for the definition:

A person who contributes an article, story, etc. To a newspaper, magazine, or the like.

• Award 2
  • Haha 2

• Bot Service Providers
2 hours ago, Mynewcar said:

just because someone has helped out a few times on a chat and on a forum

Not true, if you're friend of one of them, you have more chances to be "contributor"

I'm not sure this is needed. "Who will be next main owner of chat X?" "Hey guys we can vote someone because he/she is our friend, thats nice"

Volunteers/admins are sufficient to decide their own things, contributors rank are unnecessary.

And to be honest, any people that "contribute" to xat would be called "Contributor" not just because the person is listed in one page of the wiki and has privileges to a "private section" (as Matt said). I personally disagree with this system because it's very unfair.

1 hour ago, LaFleur said:

which are not meant for the public and at the same time allows to have a closer interaction with admins/vols due to a increased trust level. 

According to my mind, this is not true.

A bit sure the other contributors decide who will be the next, vols/admins just ask them.

And also a good point also is other contributors involving personal issues with this, one more thing that is not fair. (happening a lot)

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Laming said:

-just read his original post-

There is a discussion when someone is suggested to be added to the contributor group, it's not just "add bob because he's my friend".

Let's say someone was suggested and they had a shady background, obviously contributors would be against allowing such a user to join the group.

If you want something brought up in the contributors group, then just contact a contributor and they might bring it up in a future discussion.

• Award 3

• Bot Service Providers
4 minutes ago, Chelly said:

shady background, obviously contributors would be against allowing such a user to join the group.

Can be mentioned a few names already added, but this is not the point right now.

I still with my mind and quit now.

• Meh 1