Why wasn't a (meme) power created yet?

TinkerDoodle

• Advanced Members
39 minutes ago, Crow said:

As a confused caveman, can you give me one or two examples, please? :$

I am really really bad with graphics, like really really bad, but I'll provide a little emoticon list. 

(meme)- Honestly, I don't know the proper emoticon to fit this power because meme isn't really a picture or anything, because of this. this can allow the SM's to shine. 

(troll)- This is the staple troll face, but because you're a confused caveman, I'll provide an example <3.

(yno)- This is my personal faveorite meme. Here's an example. 

(foreveralone)- Example

(megusta)- Here's the more popular one. But I'd much prefer this.

(sweetjesus)/(sweetness)- Example

(memeshock)- I don't really see this as a realistic emoticon because I can see how diffucult it'll be to code it. But here you go.

(computershock)- I'd use this almost every day, because some of the things people say in tr4de are just too... unique. Here's an example.

There are a bunch of other memes but I wouldn't have enough space to include them all, but I hope you got the gist of it all. 

39 minutes ago, Crow said:

How would this work as a power, and why would people pay for it?

Xat has been missing powers that people can use in their everyday conversations. Personally I believe that they should make more emoticons that can be realisticly used like (awe) and (asif). With this meme power, people can use (troll) or (foreveralone) almost daily because those are pretty popular memes. We have (hello) as me gusta and (hippo) as troll, but they're just not enough. This power can actually be used and it'll be pretty popular within the xat community because they're simply convenient.

I understand some of these memes will be pretty hard to code and I respect that, but if they took their time and put extra effort into a meme power, then this power will be one of a kind. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

It, or something similar, should be made.

You have a very good point when you say xat is lacking powers to use in conversation. Twitch's chat system has become very well known, and I think their emotes have contributed to that... while they wouldn't fit on xat, they can be used in conversation and to convey a lot of different feelings/emotions (beyond the basics) and I think xat should try to do the same.

• Advanced Members
11 hours ago, Junior said:

Last time (a long time ago) someone suggested this and everyone said it was copyrighted now i'm confused, can you make sure and find out if it is or not?

If not, I think this could work, why not.

I've done specific research for the memes that I suggested:

Sadly the (trollface) meme is copyrighted. Source.

• An alternative to this smile can be the (pfft) face. Example. This has no copyright. Source. (The copyrights that are already there do not apply to the meme)

(YUNO) seems like it isn't copyrighted because I searched the database and nothing relevant to the meme seems to come up. Source (look at the years the copyright products were made, YUNO was made 2002.)

(Foreveralone) also has a copyright. Source. And a more accurate source

• An alternative to this can be (ohgodwhy). Example. And this isn't copyrighted, source

I'm not really too sure if (megusta) has a copyright, I couldn't really find anything

(Sweetjesus) doesn't seem to be copyrighted. 

• if there is a copyright, an alternative can be (spiderpman). Example. There is no copyright. Source.

(memeshock) has no copy right. Source

(computershock) has no copyright also (thankfully!) Source.

I haven't done deep research to find out if these images have a copyright, so I recommend, before you guys start making this power, to do deeper research so you won't get any copyright infringements. Not all memes have a copyrights on them, so please do your research so you can decide what's safe to add to xat. 

You can see the full list with the names here, and you can check the copyrights for yourself here.  

• Volunteers
13 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I am really really bad with graphics, like really really bad, but I'll provide a little emoticon list.

[...]

Thank you for providing this, haha. I was looking at memes on google images thinking 'How can this possibly work as a power? The text wouldn't be big enough to read for a start, and why wouldn't people just use a meme generator instead of paying XXX xats? Would you make them in the side app?' xP. Overall, I fully agree with your point. Some of these just seem to fit the situation better than anything else, and most people will recognize them. Nice research too!

13 hours ago, Steven said:

Twitch's chat system has become very well known, and I think their emotes have contributed to that... while they wouldn't fit on xat, they can be used in conversation and to convey a lot of different feelings/emotions (beyond the basics) and I think xat should try to do the same.

The Twitch emotes are brilliant (as seen here), yes! I saw @Mencee use one of them, and they cover far more faces than the Xat ones currently do. Let's have more faces please!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Even if these are copyright we can change them a little and make other similar ones. I've always wanted a troll face :'(. @Junior work on this power, its worth it!!! :$

PS: Would the poop emoji be copyright too?? Cause i'd like to use it. 

kxqgiQF.jpg

vD2JO3I.jpg

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Crow said:

Thank you for providing this, haha. I was looking at memes on google images thinking 'How can this possibly work as a power? The text wouldn't be big enough to read for a start, and why wouldn't people just use a meme generator instead of paying XXX xats? Would you make them in the side app?' xP. Overall, I fully agree with your point. Some of these just seem to fit the situation better than anything else, and most people will recognize them. Nice research too!

The research took a bit longer than expected but I wanted to create an image as best as I can. I hope this power does get created, these type of unique powers are what keep people on xat and maybe it'll be some incentive to buy some more xats. Overall, I'm glad I did a bit more research because it probably gave the SM's a little idea of what to make next! 

• Volunteers
5 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I hope this power does get created, these type of unique powers are what keep people on xat and maybe it'll be some incentive to buy some more xats.

If this were made, it would probably be one of the best-selling smiley powers, don't you think? (but that's not an excuse to make it expensive!!!) =)

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Crow said:

If this were made, it would probably be one of the best-selling smiley powers, don't you think? (but that's not an excuse to make it expensive!!!) =)

No doubt this will be almost as popular as (clear), or probably even (gold), because it was requested for so long and it's such a popular topic. I can see this power being extremely limited like (big) or (gold), but I kinda hope it'll be an unlimited power because so much people already want this power! However, it is up to the admins and SM's to decide on the price and the amount released. I'll just be happy with the fact this power was made in the first place =D! 

• Advanced Members

Well obviously we can't just use straightup twitch emotes on xat since we don't own them though, but @Junior you could make your own versions of them xat-styled, can you not? For example, instead of (kappa), make your own version called (sarcasm). Or is that still considered copyright? But anyway, I love this meme power idea and I hope it gets made, someone suggested it before back on the old forum iirc and I loved the idea, they would definitely brighten up my mood during a conversation.

I also agree about xat lacking conversational emotes; most of the smiley emotes lately are for your name, there's nothing wrong about that, but what about chatting? Xat is a chatting service after all and usually I just end up using the default emotes during a conversation, sometimes (shocker) (celebrate) and the love powers (mainly romance's) emotes I use in conversations, but that's it. 

• Advanced Members

Not really sure what you think copyright is, Tinker (or anyone on this thread, really), but everything is covered by intellectual property laws whether found under a "copyright database" or not. Under no circumstances can you take something someone else made and sell it for money.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
33 minutes ago, Stah said:

Not really sure what you think copyright is, Tinker (or anyone on this thread, really), but everything is covered by intellectual property laws whether found under a "copyright database" or not. Under no circumstances can you take something someone else made and sell it for money.

Obviously the SM's wouldn't exactly copy the meme's, they would clearly make it in their own style, but they should base it off the memes. Also like I stated, I did not do any deep research, I simply did light research, I'm not an expert in these laws unlike others. 

14 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I haven't done deep research to find out if these images have a copyright, so I recommend, before you guys start making this power, to do deeper research so you won't get any copyright infringements.

• Advanced Members
17 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Obviously the SM's wouldn't exactly copy the meme's, they would clearly make it in their own style, but they should base it off the memes. Also like I stated, I did not do any deep research, I simply did light research, I'm not an expert in these laws unlike others. 

15 hours ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I haven't done deep research to find out if these images have a copyright, so I recommend, before you guys start making this power, to do deeper research so you won't get any copyright infringements. Not all memes have a copyrights on them, so please do your research so you can decide what's safe to add to xat. 

You can see the full list with the names here, and you can check the copyrights for yourself here.  

It only takes 10 mins to research about copyright and what it is; what it does; and how it protects works.

Putting the faces on a yellow back is still infringing copyright (it's just a "derived work")

From the UK copyright service myth's page:

The act of copying or adapting someone else’s work is a restricted act. Any adaptation will be legally regarded as a derived work; so if you simply adapt the work of others, it will still be their work, and they have every right to object you if publish such a work when they have not given you permission to do so. They are also entitled to reclaim any money you make from selling their work.

The only safe option is to create something that is not copied or adapted from the work of others, or seek the permission of the rights owner (you should expect to pay a fee and/or royalties for this).

There is nothing to stop you being inspired by the work of others, but when it comes to your own work, start with a blank sheet and do not try to copy what others have done.

All memes have intellectual property (IP) laws protecting them, everything that is not public domain has IP laws protecting them. Anything anyone has made ever, or is going to make has a type of IP law surrounding it. 

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Stah said:

It only takes 10 mins to research about copyright and what it is; what it does; and how it protects works.

Putting the faces on a yellow back is still infringing copyright (it's just a "derived work")

From the UK copyright service myth's page:

All memes have intellectual property (IP) laws protecting them, everything that is not public domain has IP laws protecting them. Anything anyone has made ever, or is going to make has a type of IP law surrounding it. 

Oh, well that's a major shame then :(. So I guess xat isn't even allowed to make the emoticons for general use also, even though they won't profit from it at all. 

• Volunteers
3 minutes ago, TinkerDoodle said:

Oh, well that's a major shame then :(. So I guess xat isn't even allowed to make the emoticons for general use also, even though they won't profit from it at all. 

If they won't sell 'em, then we need another incentive for Xat to release more free smileys.

Something like: "Will donate $150 to a children's charity under Xat's name if these emotes/memes are made within 2 weeks!". It's a lovely gesture too, and I'd be willing to do something like this in the future, if possible! That way, everyone benefits!

• Advanced Members
On 3/22/2016 at 1:22 AM, choco said:

Even if these are copyright we can change them a little and make other similar ones. I've always wanted a troll face :'(. @Junior work on this power, its worth it!!! :$

PS: Would the poop emoji be copyright too?? Cause i'd like to use it. 

kxqgiQF.jpg

vD2JO3I.jpg

Choco, why a poop power?