xat 1.64 public beta out! See changes ×

Your gay history

Junior

• Volunteers

Hey there,

In this thread, we will be posting our gay history.

You will be doing it by answering a couple of questions listed below:

• How did you discover your homosexuality? At what age did you do it?
  • How did you react to the fact that you are gay, by then?
  • How long did it take you to face the truth and accept yourself?
  • Have you come out of the closet already? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how are you planning to do it and when?

• Do your siblings and/or parents know it? If so, how did they react to it?
  • How did they find out? If you told them, how did you do it?
  • Do your closest friends know it? If so, did the friendship change in any way after knowing it?

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

What would you say when you first see him? 

I wonder who's gonna blush first when you both meet. :$

Can we have a follow up story when you meet guys?

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, 6 said:

What would you say when you first see him? 

I wonder who's gonna blush first when you both meet. :$

Can we have a follow up story when you meet guys?

I think about that all the time, and I have no clue how it's going to happen. I'm so excited though!

I'll post a follow-up story for sure.

• Advanced Members

@Junior are you going to share? ;) 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm at an awkward stage where, if asked, I will admit to being gay, however I still have not told my family. As Brandon said, it's really really difficult to tell the people you care about the most and especially if you don't know how they are going to react. Even though I try to tell myself people won't care and nothing will change, I just can't bring myself to say the words.

I am in a relationship with someone who is very much in the closet. It's tough. It's exactly as you described it for him. He knows nothing will change but whenever he even thinks about saying the words, he gets very anxious. I hope one day society doesn't make people have to go through this horrific and liberating experience and being queer is normal. However, I doubt that will be anytime soon. Until then, these success stories are important. They show people that life is either the same or better for most once they come out of the closet. It helped me to watch YouTube/hear about others. It warmed me up and made me even consider the idea of acting on my feelings. 

• Award 5

• Advanced Members

It's beautiful to see all your histories, it was very exciting. I have a lot of friends of the LGBT community, i'm always going to discos with them(i love LGBT discos - last weekend was the last time :$)

I'm always supporting them and fighting with people who have derogatory comments against LGBT people(included some members of my family).

All my love is with the LGBT community! ♥

• Award 5

• Advanced Members

I'm somewhere on the gay spectrum, and it's quite clear I've been that way since I was around 13 or so. But let me tell you, like Brandon and a few others mentioned, the cognitive dissonance thing is real. When I was growing up, gay issues did not have mainstream support at all in the media -- at least in my country (US) and state. I also went to a small/weird school, and I don't think I actually knew an openly gay person in real life until I was around 16. So when you grow up with certain expectations about how attraction should work, and then suddenly you experience feelings which contradict that understanding, your brain has a funny way of ignoring those feelings. If someone had asked me what my orientation was around that time, I would have said that I was straight without batting an eye. Not because I was ashamed of being queer, but because I hadn't fully internalized that you could be something besides straight.

I think xat Kimi was also the first person I ever confided in some time in 2012 (shoutout to Kimi). It was a really casual conversation too, it hardly felt like a grand 'coming out' moment, but I just put my thoughts out there and that really helped me come to terms with them. I've basically been de facto out since I started university, though I still don't care to tell anyone unless they ask me first. 

Some things that still bother me...

Finding queer people who were interested in serious, monogamous relationships was not easy. Maybe it's just a university thing that people would prefer to sleep around, but it was pretty frustrating for me.

I also dislike identity politics around 'LGBT issues'. Maybe this is just me, but I feel like coming out is as much of a political statement as it is a personal one. I'm still mostly left-leaning, but I don't feel like being queer should ally me with any particular political cause.

• Award 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • Wiki Translators

How did you discover your homosexuality? At what age did you do it?

I discovered myself as bisexual when I was 12 years old, the reason why I can't tell you, because it's a little bit "aggressive".

How did you react to the fact that you are gay, by then?

My reaction was normal, because at that age, I knew what I was, but I couldn't understand it.

How long did it take you to face the truth and accept yourself?

When I turned 15, I already knew that I was bisexual. With that age I understood everything, and then I accepted myself as I am.

Do your siblings and/or parents know it? If so, how did they react to it? Have you come out of the closet already? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how are you planning to do it and when?

Only three people know about I'm bisexual. These people are my best friends. At this moment, I don't dare to come out. Their reaction was well, they accepted me as I am. This is the movie that I go out with a smile everyday!

How did they find out? If you told them, how did you do it?

I told my friends what I was bisexual, when we promised to tell the truth to ourselves. In that moment, I was forced to tell the truth, because I don't like to lie. They accepted it.

Do your closest friends know it? If so, did the friendship change in any way after knowing it?

Yes, they know it. No haha, they didn't change.

• Award 3
  • Haha 1

• Members

I'm not a lesbian, just bisexual I guess. Discovered that at my early 12 years when I lost my female best friend, I realised I didnt had only feelings as a friend, I wanted many stuff.

Neutral. It's not something that you can control or decide if you want to be so or no, it just happens and when you want to think about it, even if you try avoiding that thought, you just can't.

Didn't have any problems accepting so, it's just normal

Have you come out of the closet already? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how are you planning to do it and when?

No, I didn't. And I'm not planning to talk about it or make it public **in real life**, no, thanks.

Do your siblings and/or parents know it? If so, how did they react to it?

No one knows

• Award 2

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I'm kind of like one year late but, whatever. Here is my "gay history":

I've always had feelings that I was gay or bisexual when I was like 7. When I was 5, I had a crush on one of my best friends that was the same gender as I am. I didn't know what being gay or bisexual was at the age of 5, obviously. I ignored it for a few years and I think I knew I could be possibly gay or bisexual when I was 7. In 6th grade (when I was 11), I grew another crush on a different best friend. I always felt like I needed to protect him and stuff. I still didn't know if I was gay or not so, I asked a girl out to a formal dance because I had thought I had feelings for her. The formal dance was boring, we danced to a few songs but I didn't feel anything for her. After that night, I didn't really interact with her as much. I never acted upon my crush on my best friend. At the age of 11, I knew I was gay and I didn't feel ashamed of it.

I didn't worry about being gay. I was not ashamed and did not think it was just a "phase" that most people think they're going through. I knew that my closest older sister who is 5 years older than me probably knew I was gay. She has never asked me about it though and when I do come out (because I haven't yet), she would be the first person I would go to. My sister is supportive of me and I really believe that she would accept me. I'm not so sure about what my parents will do. I'm hoping that they will be accepting and will not think of me any different. Honestly, I don't know how my current friends think of the LGBTQ+ community and being gay. They have never disagreed or have been against it, so that's a good sign.

I knew it was possible that I could be gay or bisexual at the age of 7. I finally accepted myself at the age of 11. So it took me four years to accept myself.

Have you come out of the closet already? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how are you planning to do it and when?

I have not come out of the closet yet.

Do your siblings and/or parents know it? If so, how did they react to it?

I believe that one of my siblings (my sister who is 5 years older) knows about me being possibly gay or bisexual. I have not been asked by any of my family members.

How did they find out? If you told them, how did you do it?

I'm gonna skip this question since I haven't come out yet.

Do your closest friends know about it? If so, did the friendship change in any way after knowing it?

My closest friends do not know about it. I think they just think that I like being single and I'm not attracted to that many people.

NOTE: I just wanna say that I loved all of your stories and they "touched me". It feels better knowing what people have gone through and how they went through it. Hopefully, I will come out soon and my family and friends will be accepting.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Members
  • How did you discover your homosexuality? At what age did you do it?

Since I have memory I have always felt different or special, at school when I was only 6 years old I had a best friend and played sitting on his legs; One day, at age 7, while my aunt was dressed, I asked her why she put on makeup and she replied that I was a man, so I replied that I wanted to do it; Also between that age, I remember seeing the Mister Universe with my parents and said that I should win a boy because I thought it was very beautiful. Then you could say that at 6 years old.

• ¿Cómo reaccionaste al hecho de que eres gay, para entonces?

I really didn't have any kind of reaction, since I was born I was always like that, because knowing that society called me gay would have to affect me. I was born that way.

• How long did it take you to face the truth and accept yourself?

It's complicated, but I love myself, that's enough for me.

• Have you left the closet yet? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how do you plan to do it and when?

I have not done it, nor do I think it is necessary to shout to the world what my sexual orientation is. I have never liked that people need to draw attention to this so that everyone finds out.

• Do your brothers and / or parents know? If so, how did they react?

I have never told him, but come on guys, do you really believe that parents would not realize if they have a homosexual son? They know it, but they will surely be thinking that if I have not told them, however, that they may be able to change or that they are wrong.

• Do your closest friends know? If so, did the friendship change in any way after knowing it?

All my friends know him, who knows me and I give him enough confidence to have a friendship with me that they will realize without asking or I will tell him. I've never had to tell anyone about this and they also don't ask (maybe they won't offend me, they would).

I have always behaved like a heterosexual  boy (as far as possible haha), but since 2016 I decided to start being myself and let myself flow, since I did, better friendships began to emerge.

I think this is all due to the love with which my family raised me, so I have great feelings. I've always been a shy and closed boy to make new friends, but when I have a friend, he will always count on me for anything, even if we don't talk anymore.

I have never dated a person of the same sex, both in real life and in xat. Nor have I had sex with anyone (boys / girls).

I like to think that there are people who not only think about a sexual adventure and want to fall in love, so I would like to have my first time with someone with whom I will have my first time in all things.

Edited by Abrahan

• 2 years later...
  • Members

How did you discover your homosexuality? At what age did you do it? I was about 18 years old when i found out about my sexuality and I was about 19, I knew I was gay for a long time and I just hide it from everyone 'cause where I live it wasn't heard of and not accepted, 'cause you were bullied and I mean like being put in he hospital with either being shot or stabbed, but it's been accepted for ages now and I felt like I needed to let out my true feelings :P I also want to become male to female one day :P

How did you react to the fact that you are gay, by then? I knew before, now and then... I'll always know who I actually am, and I wasn't shocked that I was gay, I didn't react to it <

How long did it take you to face the truth and accept yourself? It is still taking me some time to accept the truth and who I am, I still have a lot to learn about myself and my true colours 

Have you come out of the closet already? If so, how did your social and work experience change? If not, how are you planning to do it and when? I already came out a long time ago, and it's enclosed my social and work experience, I suffer from anxiety and depression and paranoia, so it's really taking a tool on me, mentally, and my thoughts are telling me I'm different :P

Do your siblings and/or parents know it? If so, how did they react to it? They already knew

How did they find out? If you told them, how did you do it? I couldn't accept myself as there family 'cause I was different :)

Do your closest friends know it? If so, did the friendship change in any way after knowing it? Yes my bestest friend knows and I think he is confused on what he wants, but I like him a lot he is such a cutie!!! His name is Jason, I try and make him feel good about himself, and I am always happy when I'm around him, but we argue sometimes and disagree on some stuff, but I am trying to bring his true colours out like I did, I hope one day he will accept who he is and no it didn't change in any way shape or form, he said i'll always be his best friend but, i want more then being bestest friends!!!!! <333333
5hzeZgDz7q.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.