Get rid of Flirt

Communism

• Advanced Members

I'm scarred. Talking to this guy for 5 minutes with a fake alias.

jHNAvqK.png

Flirt is not a place for people to 'flirt', it's a place for sexual predators and trolls to gather around.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I completely agree that the place is crazy and at times full of some pretty disgusting people. If I remember correctly, however, I'm pretty sure that Flirt is the only official chat without a manager. Just goes to show what can happen if nobody is moderating a chat, lol. You cannot delete chats, and I'm not exactly sure if xat would remove the chat in general, but I definitely feel like it should at least be taken more seriously and perhaps a chat manager should be assigned. That is, of course, if there even are still people who just want to use the chat as a hangout.

Though, I also agree that the chat doesn't really serve a purpose (at least not anymore). I highly doubt that anyone normal is going to want to head over to Flirt to find a boyfriend/girlfriend, and it's also pretty inevitable that there would be some users who would attempt to use the chat for malicious purposes due to its name.

• Award 1

• Wiki Editors

These things you mentioned also happen in other chats, and not 'just at Flirt'. The users who do it should be punished rather than the chatroom (or chatrooms).

If you don't like the Flirt chatroom, then simply don't go there. It's not like you're forced to go and stay there, and you can always ignore users or even leave the chatroom if you don't feel comfortable.

Let's say the Flirt chatroom gets deleted, they'd just find another place to go and continue their normal activities.

• Award 5

• Advanced Members

25 minutes ago, Arthur said:

These things you mentioned also happen in other chats, and not 'just at Flirt'. The users who do it should be punished rather than the chatroom (or chatrooms).

If you don't like the Flirt chatroom, then simply don't go there. It's not like you're forced to go and stay there, and you can always ignore users or even leave the chatroom if you don't feel comfortable.

Let's say the Flirt chatroom gets deleted, they'd just find another place to go and continue their normal activities.

If child predators are a widespread problem on xat, then the xat admins should take the issue more seriously.

This attitude in general is fine, but Flirt is full of people actually preying on minors. Forget the xat terms - this stuff is a violation of the law. If xat is going to fuss about swearing on promoted chats, I hope they care about this.

I am not so sure about the last point. Flirt has a legacy on xat and is completely un-moderated, and I think that's why it gets much of its draw. And even if they reorganize somewhere else and it ends up being just as much of a problem, that place should be removed too. Just like how a user who unbans themselves on a chat just gets re-banned.

Though if there are other solutions to the problem besides deleting the chat, I am open to considering that. The main point of this thread is to make it clear that this really is a problem that needs some kind of solution.

• Award 2

Just now, Arthur said:

How about reporting these users to xat?

Well most of them have lots of multi accounts or when they notice "important **dangerous** people" in the xat they go on toons, so its kinda impossible.

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, Agustina said:

Well most of them have lots of multi accounts or when they notice "important **dangerous** people" in the xat they go on toons, so its kinda impossible.

That's why xat logs IP addresses, genius.

• Award 1

1 minute ago, Fame-Legend said:

That's why xat logs IP addresses, genius.

Explain why ban evading exists then lol, also if you need to say something else do it via pm because we are disrupting too much, I agree with flirt being deleted tbh

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Agustina said:

Explain why ban evading exists then lol, also if you need to say something else do it via pm because we are disrupting too much, I agree with flirt being deleted tbh

Proxies barely do a thing since xat does a decent job at detecting them and not allowing people to log in with them.

• Advanced Members

I agree with @Arthur, i prefer that this specific users are reported rather than closing the chat due to a few users, especially since they have powers and stuff, they might realize things when their accounts are removed for violating xat tos.

I think people just enjoy the freedom given in that chat and i have also visited the chat, there are still normal conversations present, while one should also expect obscene conversations - however thats why u avoid visiting it, if you don't like it and if users violate xat tos/-government law, like in this case, then they should be reported and punished accordingly.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

Again, this isn't just run-of-the-mill trolling/cyber bullying/whatever. I'm talking about child predation which is actually illegal in xat's jurisdiction (see this), and they have a real stake in making sure it doesn't happen on their website. Having the chat be purposefully unmoderated, and leaving it up to the few decent people in the chat to report the filth (and it might not be terribly obvious how to do this for someone who doesn't use the xat platform very much, by the way), does not seem sufficient at all. 

Plus, reporting does not help deal with toons, and they are definitely the majority culprits.

I want to also stress that this is not just a few bad users. The chat is completely overrun with these creeps. Normal conversations are not the "norm". If you have any doubts, just try what I mentioned in the OP and see for yourself.

• Award 2

• Volunteers

The terms also point out that you should either be 18 to use xat, either be 14 and have a parent allowing you to use the website. In the first case, the user is an adult and that doesn't matter. In the second case, parents are here.

I don't think this is more caricatural than saying Flirt is only made of predators or that actual children can actually be trapped there.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I think the best thing to do is email the admins WITH PROOF and also try to get some vols to inform the admins about this too. What you're claiming is serious and you should've taken ss's of the entire ordeal and emailed the admins immediately. 

If what you're claiming IS true then I agree.. further action should be taken. However who's to say this isn't happening in other chats? If you take flirt down then these people will move onto another chat and they'll just keep on migrating. There needs to be a long term, because what you're suggesting is just short term. 

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, TinkerDoodle said:

I think the best thing to do is email the admins WITH PROOF and also try to get some vols to inform the admins about this too. What you're claiming is serious and you should've taken ss's of the entire ordeal and emailed the admins immediately. 

If what you're claiming IS true then I agree.. further action should be taken. However who's to say this isn't happening in other chats? If you take flirt down then these people will move onto another chat and they'll just keep on migrating. There needs to be a long term, because what you're suggesting is just short term. 

Oh yeah, you can be sure I screenshotted and reported it to the admins. The reason I created this thread was that I couldn't, in good conscience, just do that and call it a day. I think other people need to be made aware of the kind of filth that happens in that chat. I'm glad you appreciate the gravity of it.

Personally I think Flirt's name/legacy and the fact that its completely unmoderated is much of the appeal, but I'm willing to accept your position. This just really disgusted me on a personal level and I hope they do something beyond leaving it to the users to report the problem, because that clearly hasn't stopped the problem so far.

I mean, it's pretty inconsistent that someone would get swiftly punished for swearing here or on a promoted chat, but a chat overrun with pedophiles and predators basically goes unchecked.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I wish it surprised me that this thread is full of people who insist that this isn't a major issue and that no action should be taken. (Ugh, "moderates")

Step 1: Identify as many offenders as possible (using Communism's original catfish method), and build a list. Do nothing with this list until it is "large enough."

Step 2: Ban the users from the list from the site.

(optional further action)

Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the remaining offenders (who may need a few days to figure out how to evade the ban) until satisfied.

Step 4: Delete Flirt.

Step 5: Establish a chat (ex. "Dating") with moderators.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Agustina said:

Logging IPs doesnt mean storing bans, ban evading and logging have nothing to do with eachother...

Xat stores IPs for 12 hours after the initial ban time. The ID/Regname is stored for the full duration of the ban. (something along them lines) 

I think it's clear you're not really sure how bans work.

On topic; 

Deleting the chat is pointless, it's been like this for years and is probably never going to change. Instead of making threads about people, report them to volunteers/admins. You've already stated that what they're doing could be potential illegal, underage stuffs, and instead of doing something about them you post on the forum..... 

keep flirt

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
9 minutes ago, Karl said:

Instead of making threads about people, report them to volunteers/admins.

1 hour ago, Communism said:

Oh yeah, you can be sure I screenshotted and reported it to the admins

Try reading before posting.

9 minutes ago, Karl said:

Deleting the chat is pointless, it's been like this for years and is probably never going to change.

So xat trying to stop illegal shenanigans is pointless? Sure, let's keep sexual predators on xat, it's not going to change anyways.

• Award 1

• Members

If there is an darker side to this community, it would be what hides behind the flirt chat. It is rather horrible and when I experienced my first visiting there I immediately saw harsh bullying and arguing among one another and being highly perverted about each other's family members. It's a place with literally no bounds and no room for error. I'll never understand how this chat got its reputation to be what it is now. 

• Advanced Members
45 minutes ago, Guppy said:

So xat trying to stop illegal shenanigans is pointless? Sure, let's keep sexual predators on xat, it's not going to change anyways.

Don't think that was ever stated, try reading before posting. 

It's pointless because they'll just move chats, instead of deleting a chat, deal with the users causing the issue. The chat isn't the problem, it's the people.... 

• Award 3