State of the New Forum

Brandon

State of the New Forum  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the recent changes that have been made with the reputation system?

• Yes, I like the recent reputation changes.
    • No, I think more work still needs to be done.
    • I'm neutral and don't mind what gets changed.
  2. 2. How do you like the customized xat theme?

• It seems to consistently relate to xat's style.
    • It doesn't seem to consistently relate to xat's style.
    • It mostly relates to xat's style, but could use some more work.
  3. 3. How responsive is xat when it comes to fixing forum problems?

• For the issues within xat's control, xat is good about fixing issues.
    • For the issues within xat's control, xat is not not good about fixing issues.

• Brandon unfeatured this topic
  • Advanced Members

More post groups? With the old forum there was like 3 or something idk but having just two seems a bit bland. Maybe adding one for 100 and 250? 

Badges. The volunteer badge has a stupid headset and that shows to me that it's live support. Xat doesn't have live support....

• Award 3

• Volunteers

I agree with what Karl said. I also think that if you do stick with only 2 post groups, that the advanced members group should be a different colour than just dark grey. The colour is way too similar to the light grey and it's basically the same colour not that much different. Plus, it's kinda dull. 

I also don't understand the whole graduation hat symbol with advanced members. Going from 0-25 posts is not that much to celebrate and you're not exactly graduating from anything... You're still a member. Maybe this could be a star or something?

I think the recent changes with the reputation system are okay. I think we are all pretty chill now that the leaderboard is gone. One thing that would be nice (probably not possible) would be to bring back the reputation bars instead of it being an actual number (everyone would obviously start at 0 bars).

On the curious side, what does the RSS button do? It's visible but it just leads to an error page. 

mn2ohd.jpg

Other than that, I think it's pretty cool and thanks to everyone who's constantly taken feedback and changed things for the better. (: 

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Karl said:

More post groups? With the old forum there was like 3 or something idk but having just two seems a bit bland. Maybe adding one for 100 and 250? 

Badges. The volunteer badge has a stupid headset and that shows to me that it's live support. Xat doesn't have live support....

Help chats could be considered live support, but the headset still doesn't suit volunteers.

• Volunteers

Forums are pretty slick as they are, IMO. It's gotten a bit quieter, but that's to be expected after the opening rush.

Keep the option to edit posts without the *edited* text appearing, though. That's my favorite thing about the new forums! I'm always correcting typos and reworking things, and it somewhat ruins the joke if it says 'edited' in glaring letters! So leave that the way it is, please!

However, it would be nice if you could edit the posts you put on someone's profile! :$

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Crow said:

However, it would be nice if you could edit the posts you put on someone's profile! :$

You can't do that? Well then, I oppose this idea. Don't let them delete their embarrassing posts either pls.

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Crow said:

Forums are pretty slick as they are, IMO. It's gotten a bit quieter, but that's to be expected after the opening rush.

Keep the option to edit posts without the *edited* text appearing, though. That's my favorite thing about the new forums! I'm always correcting typos and reworking things, and it somewhat ruins the joke if it says 'edited' in glaring letters! So leave that the way it is, please!

The "edited" thing was removed for a reason and i'd like it that way. :$

With the all badges symbols cooors from the members to volunteers they really look so dull and some badges symbols needs to be change and add little lively color to it.

• Advanced Members

Compared to vb its much better in my opinion. I mainly like the alerts function, because you never miss anything. Ive set the options so, that i automatically follow every thread i post on.

The reputation system is fine now, the logged out bug seems to be fixed, at least i haven't got it today and as same users already said above, new 'post groups' would be cool.

Not to forget, something to announce/show forum user birthdays would be nice.

forum.xat.com/topic/276-birthday-notification-on-forum/

• Advanced Members
14 hours ago, Karl said:

Agreed with this. 

and for the love of god, get rid of reputations before I pull my hair out. 

• Advanced Members

I also agree with having the birthday announcements thing, and also resetting peoples reputation is necessary since the rule has now been instigated. I don't really know of anything else significant to change.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

@Karl What would be done to distinguish the groups? Why is there a need for more?

Someone else recently mentioned that there should be more groups. I think people need to keep in mind that Members and Advanced Members are actual user groups, not ranks. Every time a new group is added, permissions have to be customized for the group. It's time consuming and groups are not meant to be used in such a way where they are representative of ranks. This is why I think the Advanced Members group is enough.

@Lemona The color was not meant to be drastically different. This is by design. There really isn't much of a difference between the two. The only difference is that people in Advanced Members have a few more permissions, such as the ability to use a signature. It also doesn't take that much work to get into the Advanced Members group (just another reason drastic color differences aren't necessary).

@Flake There's no easy way to just reset reputation. Even if reputation is manually adjusted per user, rebuilding reputation at a later date in the AdminCP would cause it to be recounted, effectively making manual edits useless.

Since 71.7% of people (at the time of this post) like the recent reputation system changes or are neutral, I think we have found a place where it's good to just be left alone. With the leaderboard gone, there's also no strong incentive to abuse any longer. Things have cooled down, and hopefully the drama around this has too.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
34 minutes ago, Brandon said:

There's no easy way to just reset reputation. Even if reputation is manually adjusted per user, rebuilding reputation at a later date in the AdminCP would cause it to be recounted, effectively making manual edits useless.

Since 71.7% of people (at the time of this post) like the recent reputation system changes or are neutral, I think we have found a place where it's good to just be left alone. With the leaderboard gone, there's also no strong incentive to abuse any longer. Things have cooled down, and hopefully the drama around this has too.

If it's hard to reset reputation, then it's fine as it is. (y)

• Wiki Editors
3 hours ago, xAndre said:

What about a badge for Official Chats main owners?

This is definitely not necessary. As @Harrison mentioned, some of them are part of the Contributors group and they're also listed on xat.wiki/Chats. The forum would be too messy if we had badges for everything.

• Award 1