Get rid of reputation

Guppy

• Advanced Members

I don't think it's necessary to disable the reputation system. I honestly can't believe the amount of drama this is creating. Luckily, there is a new rule to address reputation abuse. There really isn't a reason that anybody should be asking for reputation. If a user likes your post, they will like it. You shouldn't need to beg to be at the top of the leaderboard. Perhaps the leaderboard can be removed completely.

Apparently there was an issue where not all members could dislike posts. This was fixed recently.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
Just now, Brandon said:

I don't think it's necessary to disable the reputation system. I honestly can't believe the amount of drama this is creating. Luckily, there is a new rule to address reputation abuse. There really isn't a reason that anybody should be asking for reputation. If a user likes your post, they will like it. You shouldn't need to beg to be at the top of the leaderboard.

Perhaps the leaderboard can be removed completely.

Did you remove leaderboard's? I don't see it when i'm signed in, but when i'm signed out, I see it

• Advanced Members
Just now, LaFleur said:

Yea, it still shows up when you are logged out(logged out=auto logged out issue)

Correct, ctrl F5 dont fix that, but if you log out correctly you dont see it

• Advanced Members

Seems like negative reputation was also added in. Kind of scared of clicking that red button though. EDIT: I guess I just couldn't see it before

It would be rather nice if there was some rules to go with this new negative reputation thing (so we wont have the same problem again, in reverse sort of).

Giving lots of negative rep for no valid reason should be punishable.

• Advanced Members
6 minutes ago, TrueRedDevil said:

Seems like negative reputation was also added in. Kind of scared of clicking that red button though.

It would be rather nice if there was some rules to go with this new negative reputation thing (so we wont have the same problem again, in reverse sort of).

No downvote fairies pls

• Advanced Members
39 minutes ago, TrueRedDevil said:

Seems like negative reputation was also added in. Kind of scared of clicking that red button though. EDIT: I guess I just couldn't see it before

Thus you take the StackExchange approach and make downvoting subtract from your reputation too (usually as ~3 downvotes = -1 to your rep).

• Advanced Members
2 minutes ago, Rant said:

Thus you take the StackExchange approach and make downvoting subtract from your reputation too (usually as ~3 downvotes = -1 to your rep).

It already works like that, except one down vote is equal to one reputation point subtracted from your total.

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I don't think it's necessary to disable the reputation system.

I agree. 

Lately, the reputation system has caused much confusion, hate and drama. Some users (including me) have abused some of this system. However, I don’t think it’s just us who are at blame. The reputation system on the xat forum was never fully explained or explained the purpose of it.  I think at the beginning of the forums existence, we all were confused as to what it is and what it does. I think that a lot of us did not like the number 0 and somewhat felt upset if that number was really low. Thus, causing some people to abuse it (like me cough sorry).

According to this, reputation is “a ranking of how the community scores a user's benefit to the forum. The reputation system is designed as an additional method for users to interact and have fun. It also serves as a means for users to express displeasure with a post without cluttering up the forum with comments that might lead to a disruptive exchange. Take reputation comments for what they are worth and have fun with it.”

Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughtful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more points next to their name probably isn't a good reason to like their posts.

(SOURCE)

Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, their team, etc, is it not appropriate to give them negative reputation for no reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropriate use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

(SOURCE)

I hope this information helps everyone understand what a reputation system is and what it should look like. I wish xat would have explained this to everyone when the new forum started so that we would have all understood instead of figuring it out on our own. I hope that the reputation system can at least stay living with everyone sort of following it the way it should be (and trust me, I won’t be asking for likes any time soon now that I somewhat understand the whole system).

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Lemona said:

snip

Your research is on point. People here have never used stackexchange or even another forum properly, and xat's forum never had reputation before. I think everything should be reset and people should use it properly.

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think people also need to realize that you shouldn't down vote if you don't like something. That's not how it works.

You down vote if it doesn't add to the conversation.

Unfortunate, when a forum has reputation, there will be biased likes/dislikes, if it's clearly seen that people are targeting someone and down votes all of their stuff, and the posts are clearly well written and profound, then the staff should step in and stop it. However general down voting can't really be regulated. 

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Tina said:

I think there will always be something to complain about with this system.  Old forums DID have it but it only lasted a few days.

I agree that it should be reset to 0 to start a new.

Agreed. There will always be SOMETHING wrong, but I think the way it is now is fine, given that everyone's rep is reset.

• Advanced Members

I don't see why people put so much stock into rep on this forum, but why is this issue so hard to solve? Look at a place like Hackforums (which has over 3 million users registered). Their reputation system works well, there are set guidelines for giving reputation higher quality users have more rep for the most part, and any complaints regarding rep are handled by a moderator. You also give users reputation via their profile, not by liking their posts. Reputation and liked posts should be 2 separate things. I think that someone who understands forums and has adequate time should be given a special forum rank solely for handling reputation, and if that's too hard for you folks then just give forum moderators the power to handle reputation disputes. Also put some guidelines in place that aren't just "you can't ask for rep." Lastly, separate "liking forum posts" from "reputation" because they are not the same thing and shouldn't be intertwined.

• Award 2