Get rid of reputation

Guppy

• Advanced Members

The issue with the reputation system is how it works. Giving likes isn't, in my mind, how it should work. 

Lets use Reputation points and reputation power. 

Reputation power is how much reputation you have, whilst reputation points are points that eventually amount to reputation power. 

You get X amount of points per X amount of posts. Once you reach a set amount of points, you eventually receive power. The power is then able to be used to give reputation to other users. When sending reputation to other people it gives them points which eventually amount of power if you receive the amount you need.

The current system isn't like that at all. Basing it on likes is just plain stupid, I know it wasn't xat who decided to do this but instead it was IPB. 

My system would remove people being thrown super high on the list because they "asked" for reputation. This takes time and earning the points won't be as simple as earning likes.

The current system has many flaws and should either be changed or removed.

• Award 5

• Advanced Members

Relating to rep power, the higher the power the most reputation your post will get. For example, members and advanced members likes will only give +1 per post, but (if rep is used as intended) a contributor's like may be worth +2, smiley maker +3, forum moderator +4, volunteer +5 and admins +10. Therefore, encouraging more quality posts to attract the interest of volunteers, contributors, moderators, smiley makers and admins.

• Advanced Members

The amount of drama caused by reputation is worth getting rid of it at this point. |-)

@Stah I completely disagree with your idea. I don't even think volunteers and admins would want their likes to be worth 5 or 10 times more than the regular Advanced Member.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
21 minutes ago, Stah said:

Relating to rep power, the higher the power the most reputation your post will get. For example, members and advanced members likes will only give +1 per post, but (if rep is used as intended) a contributor's like may be worth +2, smiley maker +3, forum moderator +4, volunteer +5 and admins +10. Therefore, encouraging more quality posts to attract the interest of volunteers, contributors, moderators, smiley makers and admins.

I'd rather not. So, admins and contributors and etc., have more voice than me? Also, this probably won't help attract volunteers and admins.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
28 minutes ago, Stah said:

I don't agree with different user groups having more. However say if you're just a normal member, you are capped at 5 per "like", whilst if you're an advanced member+ you can do 10.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
34 minutes ago, Stah said:

I personally don't understand why a volunteer's post would be worth more than a mod's post lol.

But regarding the reputation I agree that the current system for it is subpar. I don't think that it should just be based on how many likes a person gets, since I've seen people post stuff that's completely out of context with the subject and get likes, and it would be ironic for them to have a reputation that would indicate that they are trustful or contribute to anything. Another forum that I go to has a reputation system where people would go on one's profile and like (+1, from the forum admins it's +2) or dislike (-1) them, or a neutral rep (no points) and give a reason for the rep that they gave them. It isn't perfect and there's some problems that could arise from it, but there's no perfect solution for this and at least it would be an improvement from this current system that we have.

• Advanced Members

The whole point of reputation is to encourage quality posts; giving users that use the forum less frequently such as admins more 'power' makes sense. If your post is liked by admins then it clearly has attracted their attention leading to the assumption that that post is of higher quality.

• Advanced Members
7 minutes ago, Stah said:

The whole point of reputation is to encourage quality posts; giving users that use the forum less frequently such as admins more 'power' make sense. If your post is liked by admins then it clearly has attracted their attention leading to the assumption that that post is of higher quality.

I agree with you here, however giving people more reputation power who actively post and make good posts makes more sense. This also encourages people to post quality stuff.

• Advanced Members
22 minutes ago, Five said:

if we're going to change the reputation system, then i would want this idea come into play: a dislike button; it can simply hide the really unnecessary posts or posts we don't agree with when it gets to a certain amount of dislikes. it's not a reputation system if it doesn't allow dislikes.

I like this very much but I could imagine people who actually take this reputation game seriously crying over one of their posts being disliked, going on a witch hunt for the people who disliked and giving them all kinds of crap for it lol.

EDIT: LMAO WHY CAN NON-ADVANCED MEMBERS DISLIKE YOUR POSTS AND ADVANCED MEMBERS CAN ONLY LIKE POSTS LOOOOOOOOOL

• Advanced Members

Could we dump the reputation system but still allow posts to be liked? Likes are useful for eliminating pointless "I agree"-type posts, but there wouldn't be any significance to them beyond that.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
6 hours ago, Communism said:

Could we dump the reputation system but still allow posts to be liked? Likes are useful for eliminating pointless "I agree"-type posts, but there wouldn't be any significance to them beyond that.

Even with the system in place, I'd wager a good 90% of the posts made on this forum fit into this category.

I think dropping the post count required for advanced members to 5 or 10 instead, would reduce the amount of filler posts. Or there could be some other requirements for it.

Of course there'll still be plenty of people just trying to get their post counts up, but I don't think anything else than very strict moderation will fix that problem..

• Award 1

• Volunteers

You've also got people who like posts for basically anything (apologies if this has been said elsewhere). Sometimes just for replying or agreeing:

Person A: I suggest toilet power.

Person B: Cool.

Person A: *likes Person B's reply*

And that amounts to the same result as a well-thought out, genuinely useful or funny post that contributes something worthwhile. They might not even know they're doing it (and is there even anything wrong with doing it?), but it does undermine the system a bit. A person's reputation doesn't mean an awful lot, unfortunately. Ultimately, like a few people have said, I think we should leave the system as it is, and just not pay attention to it.

• Advanced Members
13 hours ago, Harrison said:

The amount of drama caused by reputation is worth getting rid of it at this point. |-)

@Stah I completely disagree with your idea. I don't even think volunteers and admins would want their likes to be worth 5 or 10 times more than the regular Advanced Member.

2 hours ago, Crow said:

You've also got people who like posts for basically anything (apologies if this has been said elsewhere). Sometimes just for replying or agreeing:

Person A: I suggest toilet power.

Person B: Cool.

Person A: *likes Person B's reply*

And that amounts to the same result as a well-thought out, genuinely useful or funny post that contributes something worthwhile. They might not even know they're doing it (and is there even anything wrong with doing it?), but it does undermine the system a bit. A person's reputation doesn't mean an awful lot, unfortunately. Ultimately, like a few people have said, I think we should leave the system as it is, and just not pay attention to it.

This reputation thing is stressful  :(

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Paul said:

I agree, this just causes too much drama over a simple like, it should be disabled

38 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Get rid of it, too much drama, too many people turning it into a popularity contest.

(Y) Just stick to normal likes is better and no drama. Hope they remove this reputation thing.

People are like (ugh)

Old forum: Drama over for the sake of posts counts.

New forum: Drama over reputation thing.

• Advanced Members

Maybe instead of totally removing it, posts are liked/disliked based upon if they're useful or not. There is no global stats which show how many likes/dislikes you have other than on your profile.

• Advanced Members
53 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

As many people are suggesting different things, this are the only settings ipboard has related to reputation.

How about allowing positive and negative reputation, but don't show the total reputation (and remove the 'leaderboard')?

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, LaFleur said:

As many people are suggesting different things, this are the only settings ipboard has related to reputations.

This is going to blow you away, but theres such things as plugins! It's also not exactly hard to alter a script.

• Advanced Members
31 minutes ago, Karl said:

This is going to blow you away, but theres such things as plugins! It's also not exactly hard to alter a script.

I am aware of that, mr smart. Ive just gone after the standard ipb settings, if they can find an extension to the reputation, good luck. Otherwise i doubt they are going to write any scripts for some custom requests here.