Voice Message Snippet (VOICE)

Dann

• Advanced Members

I support this, and if it were to be introduced, I'd prefer it be a feature instead of a power. Many websites allow users to do this, and it would make a nice complement to xat. Much easier and faster than going to another website to make a recording then having to copy the link, go back to the chat, etc. Oh well, as long as we'd be able to hear it before we send it. (swt) 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Madison said:

I support this, and if it were to be introduced, I'd prefer it be a feature instead of a power. Many websites allow users to do this, and it would make a nice complement to xat. Much easier and faster than going to another website to make a recording then having to copy the link, go back to the chat, etc. Oh well, as long as we'd be able to hear it before we send it. (swt) 

I agree that it would be best as a free feature(maybe for registered or subscribed users only). But, you know, those free features don't come around much nowadays.

So in hopes of it being created I suggested it as both a power or feature. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• Bot Service Providers

Well, I support your idea, it could be added, but if added on mobile it also should be added to chat desktop right? so they will need to work xD

One more point is that, if this is added they will need to use an external resource(if they don't want to store the sounds on their server)

Or if they are ok, could be used the same method that is used by WhatsApp, just store on their device.

• Advanced Members

hey @Laming

yes, it should be added to all platforms.

On your next point; What my recommendation would be, is to NOT store it permanently. I would recommend storing messages and clearing them in increments of 5 minutes. So they will only store a certain amount of data at one time. I don't think there is a need to keep all recorded messages. So messages I send via voice will only be active for 5 minutes until xat removes from server. I think 5 minutes is enough time for someone to hear a voice message, and if they missed it. Well (shrug) record it again.

Those are my thoughts on it.

Thanks.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

It's a nice idea that's been suggested multiple times in the past.

However, users are already able to communicate using voice..

929c7ddc70a149db96a0f03cc25e2309.png

But the idea does sound neat, I can imagine it being similar to the piano game on the sidebar where you can record it and send it into the chat.

ad23cd6e638f4786a6b9ed308a4dcf0c.png

Just one thing I'd like to keep in mind is how some users could use this feature to be inappropriate. (But I guess that's where mods and owners come in.)

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Mark said:

It's a nice idea that's been suggested multiple times in the past.

However, users are already able to communicate using voice..

929c7ddc70a149db96a0f03cc25e2309.png

But the idea does sound neat, I can imagine it being similar to the piano game on the sidebar where you can record it and send it into the chat.

ad23cd6e638f4786a6b9ed308a4dcf0c.png

Just one thing I'd like to keep in mind is how some users could use this feature to be inappropriate. (But I guess that's where mods and owners come in.)

Hello @Mark, So the feature you're referring to is a video system that has voice. 

My Idea is a voice "message snippet" it would work as a regular message sent on xat, but instead with a recording.

I created some images to illustrate what I mean:

IDLE: (should show a little mic like this)

25zoztk.jpg

Click & Record: (when you click to record a message should pop up like this)

2ptqp8g.jpg

Send/receive message:(and when you send it you should see it like this)

1oqgwj.jpg

If this has been suggested before, I don't think it would hurt to suggest again xD

Let me know what you guys think! I will adding these images to my post as well!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

@dann   Good idea , of course someone already suggest this but there's a nice preview I appreciate that .

The bad news 

One of the problems I see in this feature is that users will abuse and send inapp sounds etc.. 

And  the bots can't detect that ( Today ) .

Also if you look careful there's also the copyrights problem . Those sounds are hosted in the xat server and it can be dangerous if this power is paid .

( Making benefices with people work etc ) 

And the last one this could be used for spam and worst than spam messages for the servers , The sound file need to be hosted  and this can cause an  high memory usage . 

The good news 

I'm sure that lot of people will use it to speak with each other  and that can be a great feature .

For the bots it's also a great feature for example : You want to make a sound welcome message etc ... 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
56 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The bad news 

One of the problems I see in this feature is that users will abuse and send inapp sounds etc.. 

Also if you look careful there's also the copyrights problem . Those sounds are hosted in the xat server and it can be dangerous if this power is paid .

And the last one this could be used for spam and worst than spam messages for the servers , The sound file need to be hosted  and this can cause an  high memory usage . 

You said good here, but there is an explanation.
It can be done a power or even really a bot or auto protection order by xat.com
For voice abuse, be xat.com torched ou blocked 30 days
And after that he has to open a ticket to explain what happened.
And if xat.com wants back.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

The good news 

I'm sure that lot of people will use it to speak with each other  and that can be a great feature .

For the bots it's also a great feature for example : You want to make a sound welcome message etc ... 

Great!
I did not support this idea above but now I agree, it's good idea, because it's good to add a voice with webcam from 2 people up.
Now it's only 2 people, it's good to be 3 or even up to 6 people.
How a group
This topic should be discussed in a new topic of suggestion.
But I only give an idea that is good!

Ps. I think I'll open a new topic for webcam and voice in the group.
For xat.com. of course!

• Advanced Members
15 hours ago, Cleon said:

Rules would still apply, nothing changes, just because it is by voice.

14 hours ago, Bau said:

Also if you look careful there's also the copyrights problem . Those sounds are hosted in the xat server and it can be dangerous if this power is paid

Potential solutions:

- Make it a free feature

- Voice message snippets are removed daily

@dann would this just be for p.chat?

• Advanced Members
17 hours ago, Cleon said:

@dann   Good idea , of course someone already suggest this but there's a nice preview I appreciate that .

The bad news 

The good news 

I'm going to be answering your comments, in the order you mentioned them. So here we go:

(this also ties in with spamming so just refer to this below on how to handle "inapp/bad" messages)

Copyright problems? Xat has absolutely ZERO control of what users type/say/do. These aren't "sounds hosted on xats server" These are recordings made by USERS that xat would store TEMPORARILY(5 mins) until it gets dissolved.

Well this feature, would probably only come out as a power if made, therefore only subscribers have it. Therefore, causing it to be tied to an account, and there are always consequences to the actions you take. There could be a simple "report" button and system that when you report a sound it would not be dissolved after the original 5 minutes, instead it would go in for review. This would then be checked by whomever (vols/xat staff/ etc. etc.) and upon reviewing it, IF it is something against the xat TOS. then there would be re-precautions. And adding a spam filter to the amount of these types of messages you can send, would not be hard. THIS IS JUST ONE IDEA THAT TOOK 2 MINS TO ARTICULATE.

Another simpler option: It could also be a system, where you can just share the voice snippet, by grabbing a link and giving it to staff in the chat, and they take care of it from there. (this would probably be the IDEAL way to do it)

But my point is there are many ways to go about it...

Also, I stated that the messages would dissolve after 5 minutes, this would kill the issue of "high memory usage" as xat won't be storing it forever.

@Cleon

1 hour ago, LaFleur said:

Rules would still apply, nothing changes, just because it is by voice.

Potential solutions:

- Make it a free feature

- Voice message snippets are removed daily

@dann would this just be for p.chat?

Making it a free feature, In my opinion, would be harder to handle. UNLESS only allowed to subscribers (very possible)

I had stated that voice messages should be deleted after 5 minutes. I don't think there's a need to keep it over that amount of time. That should be enough time to report a spam/inapp to a staff in the chat.

Regarding the private chat.... I'm in between at the moment. This feature would work for both private chat/PM but it may also work as a message to the whole chat. But who knows? Maybe sending as a message to whole chat would be a bit excessive. For now lets just say it would be a PC/PM feature.

@LaFleur

Thank you guys for your response! Appreciate all thoughts.

• Advanced Members
6 minutes ago, dann said:

Making it a free feature, In my opinion, would be harder to handle. UNLESS only allowed to subscribers (very possible)

Yea that could increase abuse, so not really an option i suppose. However subscriber only doesn't sound bad either, agree.

8 minutes ago, dann said:

I had stated that voice messages should be deleted after 5 minutes. I don't think there's a need to keep it over that amount of time. That should be enough time to report a spam/inapp to a staff in the chat.

Sry, kinda missed that part. I think 5 minutes is too less. Consider p.chats, where one user might not listen to the vm-snippet immediately, is afk or whatever. Imo 12-24h is good.

If this would be for main chat too, then there should also be an interval so one doesn't spam vm-snippets consecutively, like 5 min maybe? However it could be unlimited in pm and pc, since it can be a voice-conversation too.

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

Sry, kinda missed that part. I think 5 minutes is too less. Consider p.chats, where one user might not listen to the vm-snippet immediately, is afk or whatever. Imo 12-24h is good.

If this would be for main chat too, then there should also be an interval so one doesn't spam vm-snippets consecutively, like 5 min maybe? However it could be unlimited in pm and pc, since it can be a voice-conversation too.

Reading this over again, I do Agree. would be good to make it 5 mins only in main chat. and PM/PC could store for longer. Regardless, 12/24 Hours of 5sec messages, should NOT cause an immense amount of storage space to be used.

@LaFleur

• Advanced Members

I like the idea of being able to send small voice snippets, and I'd probably be leaning towards adding this to private chats rather than in main chat.

As for "how long they should last", I'd personally go with destroy after closing the PC however also allow the user to save the snippet to their computer, which will also destroy it, much like iMessage.

• Award 2

• 1 month later...

This idea looks nice but please could you edit your suggestion to be on english language 

Could you please give us more information about your suggestion?