XAT - IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE

Dann

• Advanced Members
4 hours ago, Azareal said:

This probably isn't what everyone wants to hear, and it is unfortunate that Xat has dropped to this state, as it used to be my chat system of choice back during 2008, but there came a point where I couldn't stick with what is a fairly antiquated site.

I don't know if Xat can survive, but I sincerely doubt it. It would take a really big move, and a mountain of luck for Xat to manoeuvre itself out of this rut. But, who knows. Anything's possible.

Discord doesn't directly compete with xat, though. Discord's main focus is on gaming while xat is just a generic chat site.

But I do agree that xat is a relic of the past, there are simply too many other better options while xat has stayed the same.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Flake said:

Because discord is a successful platform, and xat is not. Comparing to something that is successful allows us to see what xat does wrong, and what discord is doing right. Powers are unique, sure, but so is the ability to use almost any smiley or whatever they're called on discord, and create custom ones yourself for your own server. It gives endless possibilities that the USER wants. Already, the only thing that really makes xat "unique" is beat by discord. Discord has xat beat in pretty much every other area, so unless there is a dramatic change, I agree that xat will die relatively quickly.

Okay well first off; you picked a sentence out of a paragraph that was solely based on context. The point of the paragraph was directly summed up after."each chat is unique to its own thing". So essentially I answered my own question; but I will elaborate: NO you can't really compare different chat platforms as each Is meant for different demographics. To Give an example in Leyman terms: You and I can both sell shoes, but if my shoes are meant for professionals in a professional setting then it has nothing to do with your shoes that are being sold for sports, although we are both selling SHOES. I'm not going to compete with you because you are offering your shoe service to a different demographic that has almost nothing to do with me. Same concept goes for the chats; xat isn't targeting gamers, as discord is. It's just targeting a range of people looking to chat. Although they are both chatting services they have nothing to do with each other. So we are not comparing apples to apples, again. They are two chat services meant for two entire different reasons. That's my answer to your first statement/paragraph. 

2 hours ago, Flake said:

Sure, YOU might not like discord, but the majority of people would disagree with that statement.

Yes, I stated that I don't like discord because I don't do online gaming. Keep in mind that just because you are indulged within the gaming community does not mean that this community is what makes up the majority of chatters. Keep that one important fact in mind when formulating any ideas regarding this chatting service.  

Moving forward... I'm going to make an assumption to what your referring to when you said "that statement". Since you lacked some content explaining what statement you were referring to.

3 hours ago, dann said:

So I don't think xat should look into being like anyone else. They would no longer be Xat if that's the case. Xat just needs to follow the principles stated above and it will attract its own user base. They need to stay on top of things and listen to the users. THEIR users.. not discords... or any other chat service. Xat should start by fixing up the support system. So that users can come back on and get their accounts reactivated, etc etc.

So I'm going to assume you are referring to this. If wrong, then this will be invalid.... BUT I'll proceed anyway. Do you really believe xat should look to imitate others? The thing that made xat popular was its uniqueness, and they need to keep that. They need to work on how to innovate not imitate. Why would you want to follow/copy something that is already offered? Users may as well just stay/go to discord... there's no point in xat trying to be like anyone else. That will not work when it comes to marketing. Xat needs to work on advertising something Unique, to attract people. And as I previously stated, work on fundamentals. That's what will return xat to being popular.

-keep in mind my posts are solely opinionated, not speaking for anyone but myself, based off past experiences and my knowledge of marketing-

-Dann

• Advanced Members
25 minutes ago, dann said:

Okay well first off; you picked a sentence out of a paragraph that was solely based on context. The point of the paragraph was directly summed up after."each chat is unique to its own thing". So essentially I answered my own question; but I will elaborate: NO you can't really compare different chat platforms as each Is meant for different demographics. To Give an example in Leyman terms: You and I can both sell shoes, but if my shoes are meant for professionals in a professional setting then it has nothing to do with your shoes that are being sold for sports, although we are both selling SHOES. I'm not going to compete with you because you are offering your shoe service to a different demographic that has almost nothing to do with me. Same concept goes for the chats; xat isn't targeting gamers, as discord is. It's just targeting a range of people looking to chat. Although they are both chatting services they have nothing to do with each other. So we are not comparing apples to apples, again. They are two chat services meant for two entire different reasons. That's my answer to your first statement/paragraph. 

I'd bet that a majority of the people who originally came on xat came through gaming youtubers, or for games in general. Though it's not explicitly stated that xat is for gamers like discord, a large amount of the userbase has come about from games. Your other point is that since discord is for games and xat is not, they are not comparable - I personally believe the target audience is irrelevant in this case. We are comparing the features of the actual platforms, REGARDLESS of the target audience. "Discord smilies are better because the user themselves can customise them, while on xat they cannot for the most part". In what way, shape or form does the "target audience" come into play here?

Yes, I stated that I don't like discord because I don't do online gaming. Keep in mind that just because you are indulged within the gaming community does not mean that this community is what makes up the majority of chatters. Keep that one important fact in mind when formulating any ideas regarding this chatting service.  

But uh... a LOT of the community ARE gamers, or have come to xat through games. Keep in mind the facts.

Moving forward... I'm going to make an assumption to what your referring to when you said "that statement". Since you lacked some content explaining what statement you were referring to.

"that statement" was referring to when you said "I dislike discord", apologies for not mentioning that.

So I'm going to assume you are referring to this. If wrong, then this will be invalid.... BUT I'll proceed anyway. Do you really believe xat should look to imitate others? The thing that made xat popular was its uniqueness, and they need to keep that. They need to work on how to innovate not imitate. Why would you want to follow/copy something that is already offered? Users may as well just stay/go to discord... there's no point in xat trying to be like anyone else. That will not work when it comes to marketing. Xat needs to work on advertising something Unique, to attract people. And as I previously stated, work on fundamentals. That's what will return xat to being popular.

I agree, xat shouldn't look to imitate others. I also agree that xat was popular due to its uniqueness to an extent, but there is a fine line between "uniqueness" and "usefulness". Sure, xat is unique, but the features on it are not as useful or aesthetically good as the features on other platforms. The features don't have to be IMITATED, simply made far better to the standard of a platform like discord. Looking at what discord can offer better than xat and using these general ideas to improve xat as a whole is not the same as imitating it.

• Volunteers

Hello,

This thread is a great opportunity to voice your opinions about xat to others and xat admins, but it seems as if you'd much rather fight between yourselves and prove that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Feel free to leave your opinion here for others to read, but please avoid:

• You are wrong, and I am right
  • This service is better than that service.
  • I agree with __ (with no further content).
  • Just leave xat if you think something else is better.

If the conversation continues to devolve, and the thread just continued on with people arguing back and forth, it will be locked.

• Award 2

• Kyle locked this topic