XAT - IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE

Dann

• Advanced Members
36 minutes ago, Admin said:

Do you not think xat mobile is a good improvement to xat ?

Is it not useful to be able to chat at a bus stop, tea break, on the move etc etc ?

Mobile is a lot of work and we know there's much more to do. We have raised the priority of getting trading going on mobile.

Mobile will eventually add an invite functionality which allow new users to come on board.

Mobile will also directly lead to an html5 version (not technically proven yet)

I love the app however it seems like it won't connect to my network and it wont let me login 

java thread problem i guess... but other than that I love it when It was working for me , 

and I have been in xat long enough,  that I see  that there are progress ... 

• Advanced Members
9 minutes ago, LaFleur said:

@Admin Mobile is definitely a good improvement, i might use it more once its stable. However, the whole point of this topic is that the actual website should not be neglected during that, which is happening for a fact.

- Most importantly the ticket support delays.

- Bunch of bugs

- Innovative ideas for the desktop chat

- Side apps improvements

- Power quality

- Listen more what the community wants (surveys)

It is certainly what you need, on the other hand I can not demand that all this be attended to immediately.

No doubt the suggestions that have been given insurance will take into account they noticed the concern of many!(swt)

• Advanced Members

@Admin We have heard mobile takes priority for the past 3 years.  It will be the saving grace of xat. 

But reality is initiative needs to be taken yesterday to restore faith in the users and to improve the quality of the site.

People are not on here to "bash" xat.  People love and care for the site and want you to understand that you need a wake up call

to listen, so that there is a site for them to continue on.  There is high frustration level when you are out of touch with what your paying customers want or

need and even the people you entrust, are at loss to help.  

People are upset that they have no one to turn to in there times of need, whether it be reporting glitches, making suggestions, waiting on tickets, and have no one there

to listen.  On the other side...mobile is def. a good idea and will help the quality of the site. However, reality is that some, like me, prob. will never use it.  Therefor, we look forward

to changes and improvements chat side of things

• Award 3

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Admin said:

Is it not useful to be able to chat at a bus stop, tea break, on the move etc etc ?

Mobile is a lot of work and we know there's much more to do. We have raised the priority of getting trading going on mobile.

Mobile will eventually add an invite functionality which allow new users to come on board.

I couldn't agree more about that. The xat mobile is really useful when you are not at home and like you said (bus stop etc..) and surely when you can keep an eye on the chat you are managing.

But it would be cool to have more things on it, like being able to be connected on multiple chats on same time (suggested by a lot of people) and being able also to buy on the store directly via mobile so you can't miss the powers released.

Plus if you are going to add trade on mobile, it would be hard on small screens unless if something more good is done but well, mobile is good actually.

And i can't wait for the html5 version to see what good you are doing for us. Btw, you should take one day or 2 to really take a eye to the bugs list and do a big fix for all of them so everyone can be happy and stop complaining since bugs are bothering users.

Users are doing it for xat to survive, not to die like it shouldn't die. (In a piece of bugs)

@Admin 

• Members
3 hours ago, Admin said:

LOL MOBILE IS 5 YEARS TOO LATE THO (toj)(toj)(toj).

The completed mobile version should have been rolled out by the beginning of 2013, then maybe xat would be lively today. 

I wouldn't even bother finishing the mobile app unless I had some MIRACLE up my sleeve that would drive traffic to it. Which I really really really doubt you do.

This website is too far gone, fellas. Sorry to say it. 

The momentum towards Xat's demise is too strong for the Admins to fight. Even if they throw money on ads to try to save it. 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Admin said:

For starters, Thank you for giving us a valid point to discuss.

With that being said, I believe we are all on the same page; mobile WILL benefit Xat. In the long run.

Although, as some users have stated, this does NOT warrant leaving the website portion unattended. We understand your commitment to getting mobile in the hands of the users, but whilst this is good for the future of Xat, the lack of attention to the website chats is causing a huge negative impact on the community(at this point the VAST majority of your users).You are losing Existing/potential/old users with the lack of support. You are also losing users with the overwhelming amount of glitches that constantly get overlooked. 

In my opinion the mobile app is a high priority. But needs to be completed ASAP. It seems you guys need help, and there are lots of inexpensive/no expense ways to receive help. There are some very smart users on xat who are willing to volunteer their skills to help develop. An application should not take 2years + to develop, to me that is UNACCEPTABLE. The following list is how I feel xat should take steps to making xat better.

Steps to making xat better:

1.Work on fixing the Support system
2.Mobile app 
3.advertise
4.new features and functions
5.fix all remaining bugs.

(karl contributed to organizing/formulating this list)

These IN MY OPINION are the steps that need to be taken to start working on revitalizing xat once again. This should be a list of things that should get done by 12/31/2017. why by the end of 2017? Well because you are running short on time... People leaving will multiply within itself as the time goes by, until eventually the website is dead. And at that point getting xats user base back would be near to impossible. Remember these are just the TOP 5. There are many many more things that needs to be worked on, but don't have this level of priority.

But I URGE you to IMMEDIATELY work on fixing the support system. Coming up with a strategic plan to get everything handled in a timely manner, as it once was. I remember getting upset waiting 1week+ for a response in 2012. I don't know how I would feel if I was waiting 1-6 months for a response according to users.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

-dann

• Advanced Members
56 minutes ago, GodCarlos said:

LOL MOBILE IS 5 YEARS TOO LATE THO (toj)(toj)(toj).

The completed mobile version should have been rolled out by the beginning of 2013, then maybe xat would be lively today. 

I wouldn't even bother finishing the mobile app unless I had some MIRACLE up my sleeve that would drive traffic to it. Which I really really really doubt you do.

This website is too far gone, fellas. Sorry to say it. 

The momentum towards Xat's demise is too strong for the Admins to fight. Even if they throw money on ads to try to save it. 

64673788.jpg

4 hours ago, Admin said:

But wouldn't it make more sense if it were the other way around? Flash is slightly out of date to put it nicely.

The mobile app feels like it is there for the existing users, I doubt its brought many new users in

• Advanced Members

13 hours ago, Admin said:

No I don't think mobile will be a good improvement on xat. It took us YEARS to get a few upgrades on the trade app, THE WINNER POWER IS YET TO BE FIXED, a power that's supposed to generate YOU income. It's obvious the mobile app will take years upon years to be released. Xat just does not have that much time. Both of you have to understand that there are issues that need to be fixed NOW but you are putting them on hold for an app.

I get it, you are only 2 men working on a massive project and you don't have time to fix every issue on xat. I think it's time to act like a real company and time for both of you to get over your damn trust issues and get actual help and services to help fix IMPORTANT bugs on xat. It was cute back then when yall never went on and just didn't speak to anyone, but now when it's clear that the service is dying a change needs to be made. 1 of you don't even get on xat at all and only god knows why. Its obvious you both changed rolls and titles, but how effective was that??. You labeled people as gits, but you FAIL to realize some of those "gits" only want the best for xat and for some ungodly reason you entrust people who not only don't CARE about xats future but they don't even care about the USERS and only care of themselves this is a completely different conversation we can have, you can find me @ xat5 or /f1431143. There are many bugs that need to be fixed, im not going to list them because many users like karl and dann listed them already. But we all know that those bugs aren't going to be fixed anytime soon. 

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the greatness mobile will bring by just looking at your past projects, your most recent one, facebook. It started out as a solid idea but it just ended up as dead as deals right now. And I just have a feeling that mobile will go down the same rout. I don't want xat to fail, I truly hope you will prove me WRONG about all of this, I spent now 9 years on this site, I wouldn't have stayed this long if i didn't like the service, but obviously many users that are quitting don't hold the same mentality. 

You say useful to chat anywhere, but WHERE am I going to chat if all the chats are dead???? What's the point of me getting mobile when it comes out when there will be like 6 chats left? Rida asked a phenomenal question and honestly I wouldn't recommend xat to a friend. What can xat offer that discord, a service that is MUCH more modern and convenient, doesn't? And don't you dare say powers because no one cares for the 3921 animal powers xat has. 

@Admin

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

So I was thinking more about things, mostly about the lack of faith post, and my opinion about it now isn't as extreme as when it was first posted. I realize now that I was only really bashing them instead of contributing to ways to help anything. In the time I'm writing this reply, I think I'm more calm and relaxed than I have been in a long time. Please let me hear any opinions you have on this, as well as yours on the initial post.

13 hours ago, Sydno said:

Meanwhile, bugs and improvements are suggested; they may be on the admin to-do list but we have no idea of what's in it. Users don't necessarily need to be told about everything but more communication will be a huge step forward in my opinion.

@Admin has mentioned his to-do list a few times. And I was thinking that one way to decrease the "lack of faith" would be to make this list public, like in the form of a forum post.

If we were able to keep track of what direction they plan to take things, and the progress they were making on such things, I feel that the "lack of faith" could be a little bit minimized and instead their feelings could be pointed in a more positive direction.

I know things like this sort of exist already, but threads and posts from others can only provide so much information, and they're so spread out, not everybody is aware of progress being made.

If there was something where all this could be contained in one place, maintained by the admins, I feel like it could raise the hopes of the people.

I don't think it would require that much work, it would just be something that allows us (and them) to keep track of what they plan to do and their progress on such things.

It wouldn't need to contain everything, like @Sydno said, as the sensitive information would obviously (probably) be removed, but maybe just the general gist of the direction they wish to take things would be nice.

I just feel like an official source of updates on what is planned/has been done would be something that could benefit the community morale (in terms of items brought up in this thread and in others).

I'm not sure if I forgot to say anything, as I my first reply I typed up got erased and I wasn't able to recover it, so I probably forgot some of my initial points, but I tried to bring up everything I had originally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, I'd now like to respond to @Flake's post.

4 hours ago, Flake said:

they don't get paid, so on the most part don't do as much work as they should

4 hours ago, Flake said:

1. Pay volunteers some money to encourage work. If they don't do this work, fire them. I'd say a lot of the current volunteers aren/t currently doing enough.

I know this is a valid point, but the whole concept behind volunteers is that they do, as the name and wiki page suggests, volunteer work. "they volunteer their time to help xat."

(From now on, when I say "volunteers" instead of "xat volunteers," I'm talking about those who do volunteer work in general)

It's honestly hard to complain that xat volunteers are not doing enough work, and if you've ever done volunteer work (which I know many of you have) you know that it doesn't make you work harder if people complain that you, a volunteer, is not doing adequate work.

In reality, I feel that the name "volunteers" (xat) represents what they do now, but yes, some may not do enough work, and I see no reason why volunteers (real or on xat) should not be removed from service if they are not being, to be blunt, useful.

If they were to be paid (Like a salary, not just based off of doing tickets because volunteers get something for volunteering their time, anyway), I would say that the name should be changed or it could give people the wrong assumption. Because as of now, they are volunteering their time. They should not be forced to take a ton of time out of their day to respond to tickets (I know this may anger some of you), but volunteering for something should mean that you do take at least a little bit out of your day to do so.

Many people have suggested it, and getting new volunteers is always beneficial. The more people, the better, as long as they are able to (reasonably) complete their duty and not are able to work efficiently. I'm not saying get an incredibly large number, as they would just probably end up getting in each others way.

tl;dr - I feel that some people may have the wrong assumption about what volunteers are required to do (as they are volunteers), though if they do not do enough work, I see no reason they should not be removed.

4 hours ago, Flake said:

Make the general aesthetic of the site better

I also approve of the improvement of the site (not only in the aesthetic sense).

I know recently (gosh how long ago was it even) the site design was updated to the current one, and it is indeed quite a bit better than the old one, though it is also getting outdated as time goes on.

I know redesigning a site takes time, so it's not something that can be transformed instantly, but at least either 1) the admins think about it themselves, or 2) they allocate the job to somebody else.

tl;dr - To the admins and others, Accept help

4 hours ago, Flake said:

"add more useful features rather than adding more powers that unnecessary"

"4. Stop making duplicated of already useless powers"

"Do it every 2 weeks or so, take your time, and make the power useful and/or aesthetically pleasing"

A lot of the current powers really are either 1) duplicates of old ones, with a few changes, or 2) rushed smilie powers.

There hasn't been a function power for a very long time, and people are honestly getting sick of continuous smilie powers and would probably rather just not have a power every week.

I don't feel that there should really be a set time for power releases, but instead should be done when 1) a smilie maker is satisfied with it, or 2) the function is complete. A lot of powers are released with incomplete features simply because they were rushed. These features often remain unfixed as they continue to struggle to pump out more, or there is no admin intervention in terms of them updating the broken features.

They don't necessarily need to be aesthetically pleasing, but to have some purpose, whether functional or representational of something going on at that time, something that relates to people, something that isn't a mindless recreation of an old idea.

tl;dr - To smilie makers (and others, I guess), Rome wasn't built in a day, but it did burn in one. Take your time.

(Admins, please allow smilie makers to take their time)

4 hours ago, Flake said:

3. Make these useful features FREE instead of having to pay for them.

I agree. To put it into comparison, if you have played RuneScape (Yes, I know. Please don't laugh at me) you know that the game seldom releases any F2P features, but is instead focused mainly on the P2P player base.

Every time a feature is released or update, xat starts to look more like RuneScape (not literally).

However, like RuneScape, there is the occasional F2P update which cannot be overlooked in this scenario.

Making more features available for those who 1) do not wish to pay for days, 2) have run out of days without a way to get more, is not something foolish. People might say "oh, but days are easy to get, etc., etc." This doesn't apply to everybody. Just because you (if you are one who says this) have the resources or connections to acquire what you need (or want, in this case), does not mean that everybody does. This applies to mostly everything.

The main thing I would wish to talk about is snakerace. Yes, games should not require the person to own the power to be play. If anything, keep them all the same, as group powers. If the chat has the power, everybody in that chat should be able to play.

Though I also believe that P2P features should not be overlooked. Not everything should be available to the F2P people, or people would just stop paying.

Also in reading this thread as a whole, again from RuneScape, "We pay, We say." At the end of the day, you don't make your company, the customers do.

(I do think that the css limit for people without (me) should be increased, though. At least double it, or something. (4096 chars would be cool too)

tl;dr - While F2P features are something that should not be overlooked, if there is no benefit for the P2P people, they will stop paying. (I know you weren't talking about every feature, or at least I hope you weren't, but still keep this in mind)

4 hours ago, Flake said:

there are simply better platforms that aren't outdated that allow their users to do more things for free

While this is true, not all of them provide the same user experience as xat does. Powers, which you mentioned, being one of them. 

I realize now that your last paragraph pointed this out and do not wish to restate the same things you said. 

My opinion is basically the same as Flake's:

4 hours ago, Flake said:

I also believe powers are playing a huge part at the moment because it's what makes xat stand out in comparison to other platforms, but obviously at the moment they aren't good. Number 4 on my list above would really help to both increase the quality and make the user's reaction towards these powers more optimistic. Understandably, the quality of powers has gone down considerably in comparison to before in terms of usefulness, which is due to a lack of ideas.

However, I wish to make one change. I don't feel like there is a lack of ideas, as I have seen quite the plethora in the suggestions thread. It's just that none of them become a reality. They are brought up, discussed about, but ultimately the thread dies and they are forgotten about.

You talked about a poll or vote, and I feel that there should be one which includes every suggestion thread.

The most voted ones would appear at the top of the list, while the least voted ones would appear at the bottom. This would allow the admins to easily see the priority of that which users wish to see, as you can't necessarily get a good idea just from viewing a suggestion thread, as not everybody posts their opinion on such things.

tl;dr (on the second half) - User opinions are incredibly important, and often unseen, and there should be a way to keep track of their views on things that have been suggested. A sort of "suggestion leader board" would be nice. (Similar to answers on the help section? Either in the form of a list or something, or one big thread (sounds scary, I know), people post suggestions, other people vote on them.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I've ever written this much in my life.

In regards to me focusing mainly only on Flake's post, I did wish to respond to others as well (like Danns) but it got a bit long.

Sorry if I forgot to finish elaborating on anything, it's been a long day and I now find myself getting sidetracked quite easily. I'm also not good at putting my thoughts into words, but I tried my best to make it understandable.

I used RuneScape as an example because it was a big part of my childhood and to me, really represents the stage xat is going through at this time.

I don't expect you to read all of it, and I know most of you won't, which I why I included underlined tl;dr's which mostly summarize my opinion on the quoted portions.

I don't really know why I replied at all, to be honest, as I don't have much to add to it, but I felt like it anyways. I know most of you will not consider my opinion as I don't believe I have any place to talk in this, and that is fine, I do not expect you to.

I just hope you take the tl;dr's into account, because those are really what I wanted to talk about.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

59 minutes ago, oj said:

-snip-

About the part regarding volunteers, I agree. I think there should be both Volunteers and "paid volunteers" (whatever this would be called) in two different categories. I feel like this would work because the hard-working volunteers who aren't getting paid would be encouraged to work hard to become a "paid volunteer", i.e a reward system. Those who slack off as a paid volunteer will be demoted to a regular volunteer, and regular volunteers doing next to no work should also be demoted. This way, "unpaid volunteers" are motivated to earn "paid volunteer", "paid volunteers" are motivated via pay, and even if they are not motivated, they will be demoted.

Your part about powers having no set time is also interesting - I simply said 2 weeks because it is longer than 1 week, so I was trying to get at the idea that smiley makers shouldn't rush powers but should take their time. Having no set time to complete it would also work, so long as they don't make then too often (rushed) or far too rarely.

My idea about suggestions for powers/features was just an example of something that could place - pretty much any method would work, so long the suggestions which are preferred by users can be easily seen. At the moment, there's no way to tell which suggestions on the thread are the best (as viewed by the community).

The rest of your points are basically you agreeing with me so I won't comment.

• Administrators

Among the essays I believe someone brought up the delays in some of the top departments. Hopefully we'll be able to alleviate this issue by introducing a new volunteer there who'll be grinding hard for your satisfactory.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Andre said:

Among the essays I believe someone brought up the delays in some of the top departments. Hopefully we'll be able to alleviate this issue by introducing a new volunteer there who'll be grinding hard for your satisfactory.

Doubt it. Why would/should anyone grind tickets for no reward?

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, Junior said:

There are people who care and are willing to grind tickets even for no rewards.

I second this.

41 minutes ago, Andre said:

Great to hear guys!

Appreciate the effort being done to meet some simple requests as to make xat better! (Y)

thumbs up.

-Dann

@Andre

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I totally agree about the suggestions part. I've made a topic about this issue once and not much changed since then.

The suggestions forum is simply not working, like 95% of the stuff that is suggested isn't considered (just check the stats on the to do list) and thats gives an expression that suggestions (community ideas that have been liked by most) aren't appreciated (most cases), which brings up the question if there is any point to ask then.

I highly advocate and urge a change. @Flake The vote idea isn't bad. For example one of the smiley makers or the admin could take one of the suggestions of the to-do-list, every month and start a vote about it and then see if people want this idea to be implemented. This would be just for confirmation, though most things that are listed there are there because of the positive feedback.

I also agree about the 2 weeks break for powers, however i am wondering if the admin wants to give up the weekly-power 'tradition'.

5 hours ago, Flake said:

It'd be nice to see a good power that comes around relatively rarely so that we can actually appreciate the powers, rather than getting junk powers every week to inflate the already long list of bad powers.

^^^^

• Advanced Members
42 minutes ago, Junior said:

13 minutes ago, dann said:

I second this

... Who? 

Please name one person.

Chelly is probably the one person that would ever come close to doing this, but I doubt even she would consistently grind tickets for absolutely no reward. If the Admins don't care enough about the community's opinion, which evidently they don't, why should ANYONE be helping them for FREE?

• Award 1

• Bot Service Providers

Adding people in multiple languages is better, each a user need help in Turkish, so he will send a ticket and this user will ne representant for all tickets in this language, then if more vols are needed just add more in the language that is needed. This will make easy to vols and users.

• Advanced Members
35 minutes ago, Junior said:

4 minutes ago, Flake said:

...Who?

This is exactly what "volunteers" are supposed to be in the first place. 

• Award 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Laming said:

Adding people in multiple languages is better, each a user need help in Turkish, so he will send a ticket and this user will ne representant for all tickets in this language, then if more vols are needed just add more in the language that is needed. This will make easy to vols and users.

Trust me, it would only complicate things. This would enable tickets to be assigned based on a language and thus considerably cutting down on the work force and people have to rely on a select few (or one individual) to eventually reply to their ticket. Google translate has worked so far and we rarely if ever get people who cannot understand what we're asking. Even if we do, usually rephrasing the question helps to have it produce a more accurate translation.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
16 minutes ago, oj said:

This is exactly what "volunteers" are supposed to be in the first place. 

Answering tickets sometimes and grinding tickets are two different things. If volunteers were to grind tickets, there would be almost no delay, but there is delay, so it's evident that they don't grind tickets. Which is understandable, since they are given no reward or motivation to do it. Admins giving some hope to the community might aid some motivation, but this obviously isn't going to happen given the previous responses from the Admins in this thread alone.

At the moment, there is honestly zero reason to help answer tickets, nevermind GRIND tickets.

• Advanced Members
Just now, Flake said:

Answering tickets sometimes and grinding tickets are two different things. If volunteers were to grind tickets, there would be almost no delay, but there is delay, so it's evident that they don't grind tickets.

I agree with OJ.

This is how it should be. Volunteers knocking out tickets to get users taken care of. And if they can't produce, IN MY OPINION, they should be removed. And allow someone to take their place who will produce a good amount of assistance.

Volunteers are just that VOLUNTEERS. If they want to get paid... then maybe they should go apply somewhere to get a job doing this type of thing xD

Just my two cents...

-Dan

• Award 1