35 members have voted

1. 1. What should Mention be?

• Feature
    • Unlimited Power
    • Limited Power
    • Group Power

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, oj said:

Not actually the worst idea for this. Group power settings w/ gcontrol changing whatever.

Though in my experience I haven't seen the concept really used often enough to require a group power, but to me it sounds like the best alternative if it's not a free feature.

yes there was an option for it to be a group power before and it was settings via gcontrol

there was a full page on this but I changed the whole topic to favor the major of people who wanted it to be a feature instead

with gcontrol you should manage everything about mention or even have option to turn it off or on

mention can be whatever admin wants it to be

but @ feature within is the key element on how to mention people and be mentioned

• Advanced Members
9 hours ago, Cleon said:

Nice idea but lot of people suggest it and i think this should be a feature not a power 

there has been talk about it either being a feature power as everyone wants or a group power but not limited so everyone has a chance to use it. but most people want it a feature and like other sites that already have it or like facebook similar concept.

I was the original person to suggest it long ago but since the new forum I brought it back

based on what the poll, most people do want it as a feature

if it was a power it could be a group power

so once activated anyone within the group can use the abilities

people will the power will have their own settings

but most people want it a feature

it is up to the admin and they can change the type and other things about the power anytime

I wouldn't care what it was as long as it maintains its function with the @ feature to notify users when someone mentions them within a chat. and I think this would be useful and there hasn't been a function power in a while.

• Advanced Members

I thought a good idea, but this idea has to be well developed, and it will bring many problems.

First of all it would be the echo to add sound to the notification but for that I think that this echo the power bump to warn someone, be annoying that mention any person and your screen will sound.

Secondly, I think the mention just to notify would not serve. In my opinion instead of mentioning should be added a quote of what a person said in the talk of the talk in which as in Whatsapp.

Thirdly, I think it is a duty to be a group power as it has been said so that users of the possibility to activate or deactivate it, if not, that the sea is a person but that can also activate or deactivate.

Currently users are looking for something modern, drastic changes, a little the simple fact that smilies come out already in itself is something normal, xat like other social networks of communication can not stay behind in innovations @Admin !

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, ANGY said:

I thought a good idea, but this idea has to be well developed, and it will bring many problems.

First of all it would be the echo to add sound to the notification but for that I think that this echo the power bump to warn someone, be annoying that mention any person and your screen will sound.

Secondly, I think the mention just to notify would not serve. In my opinion instead of mentioning should be added a quote of what a person said in the talk of the talk in which as in Whatsapp.

Thirdly, I think it is a duty to be a group power as it has been said so that users of the possibility to activate or deactivate it, if not, that the sea is a person but that can also activate or deactivate.

Currently users are looking for something modern, drastic changes, a little the simple fact that smilies come out already in itself is something normal, xat like other social networks of communication can not stay behind in innovations @Admin !

let me address your issues one by one and thank you for your suggestion and slight support

sound can be limited like some suggested add cooldown between mentions to the same person and another limit on how many times you can use it within certain amount of time. people can have option to either turn their sound off or turn their sound off for such if they don't want to be notified by sound.

mention is used for many social media sites already and many chatrooms and forums and such and point is to work as bump for main chat to get someone's attention to man chat. it is so you know when someone is talking about you in a chat or when someone is trying to get your attention in main chat.

I don't quite understand your third but group power would be great to let everyone within the group use to power of course function will let it work on any group anytime but with group you can get gcontrol for it for settings and limit and option to turn it off or on.

point is this would be something useful that would benfit people for the reason I listed above. also good for people in multiple chats or afk. but as I like to call it it is "bump for main chat"  when there is a conversation involving you or they want to get your attention in main chat

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Members

This is my second post today, I just thought that this was a good idea, so I hope you like it.

It would be nice to add a feature that lets you mention someone just like in the forum. It would look something like this:

wrRnzoY.png

The color of the mention tag would depend on the button color without the gradient to make it stand out less so people can focus on the rest of the chat. The notification sound could be the same one as the one used for forum. A person should not be able to mention someone in Private chat or Private Message. If the user is in a PC, the bubble in the chat tab, in this case, "Help," would flash yellow. Now, this tag can also be clickable and it will display the user's profile like it normally would if you clicked their name. To avoid spam or annoyance of any sort, this tag would only work if the user is online, for example: Kayzar needs to be online on help specifically in order for me to successfully mention him. If the user is offline, the tag will appear as normal text, will not be clickable, and there would be no notification for the user mentioned. I hope you liked it. I will post more ideas about this topic if needed. Please post your opinions.

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Disegual said:

At this point, the bump becomes useless .. In my opinion, it is more useful to bump than mentions

I disagree. Bump is a way to announce things or bring attention to someone, hence the command "!allchat bump" on FEXBots. I and most people I know use/used it for emergency/attention purposes. On the other hand, mention would be a feature where you can be direct to someone. For example: There is more than one Carlos on chat, or maybe you're just talking about me prob not :(, you could use @CarlosDesigns which is my regname and people can interact with that tag as I explained a few posts ago. Another scenario is that maybe you're in a PC, and you you don't check main often, the notification used with mention could make easy for you to check main and interact more often.

• Advanced Members

One thing you're failing to understand, the bump power wasn't made with the idea that bots can have a command to bump everyone. It's used as a way to get someones attention, the fact bots can use it to bump everyone is totally irrelevant as that wasn't its intended purpose. 

Mention doesn't fit at all on xat and honestly makes the chat look sloppy. This isn't facebook or twitter and shouldn't be treated like it. 

The screenshot provided your  original post (the one made today by carlos) is pretty much an exact rip of a feature on websites i won't mention, but I'm sure Techy has already made it. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

@Karl It doesn't really matter what bump was intended to do, it's what it's currently used for, that's why mention is an idea that has come up. Other chats like discord have it and it's often used, especially in large chats. The idea here is to have more flexibility in chat mode, which everyone here wants.

• Advanced Members

Honestly, your point makes no sense. But I can't be bothered to have a discussion with you tbh. It will look tacky and won't suit xat, your screenshot proves that

lol....

• Advanced Members

I have an additional idea in mind. If you are connected to the Mobile App, you can be mentioned without having to be on chat, and you will be notified on your phone, and if we get to be a little extra, there could be a section for mentions, or notifications on the mobile app.