Navith

Pinned Topics in Graphics  

12 members have voted

1. 1. No change, keep things the way they are:

2. 2. Make use of a mega-thread:

3. 3. Give the section an overhaul:

This poll is closed to new votes

• Wiki Editors

We'd like to get some feedback from members of the Graphics community about which topics they feel should be stickied.

Comment below with your thoughts on this; please make sure to indicate the reason why.

What we are interested in is a definition for the criteria for a topic to get pinned.

Some ideas have been tossed around, but we haven't reached a clear consensus.

Discussion questions:

1. Are we better off keeping things the way they are?

2. Should we make use of a single mega thread?

3. Would a hybrid of the two work?

And finally an add-on to the main question at hand:

4. Does our current structure for this section make sense?

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I think putting everything right would be a bad idea, since every designer has his style and mixing it would not be recommendable.
The posts that should be are those that really help the user in regards to graphics respecta.Aa things were "Regular" as to change the dynamics and start again in my case I would not want to see my contributions mixed with those of others.

• Advanced Members

1. Are we better off keeping things the way they are?

The way things currently are, although not 100% ideal, is generally fine. I think there's a reason why those threads were initially stickied - they (generally) contain a good amount of high quality resources that are useful for new/veteran designers alike, be it templates, smiley bars, logos, CSS, etc. Am wondering what the issue/complaint with this subforum was in the first place.

2. Should we make use of a single mega thread?

If you have someone active to keep the first post updated and organized, the idea could work. Like an entire index of templates, resources, etc. with a list of what you can find in each post.

However, there needs to be some sort of standard as to what qualifies a resource to be "entered" into the post - or it would be what Jake says, a megathread with a load of links.

Just a little suggestion though, perhaps get the people from the graphics/fondos xat communities involved in the forums... like with what they want pinned in the future

3. Would a hybrid of the two work?

Basically same as above. Depends on implementation. But seems quite redundant to me (what else exactly are people suggesting we have pinned that isn't?)

And finally an add-on to the main question at hand:

4. Does our current structure for this section make sense?

Hmm well it's literally a subforum that is called "Graphics" with some pinned topics... I don't really see an issue with the section.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

Currently the design section serves only as a gallery. A design forum section is much more than just posting chat backgrounds.

This section has low activity because it has nothing new. What I propose is to restructure this section.

Add new sub-forums:

• Design Tutorials (graphic design, motion graphics, web design etc).
  • Design Support (new designers can get support with more experienced designers about chat backgrounds, css, psd's etc).
  • Useful Resources (for posting editable materials for study e.g psd's).
  • Galleries (for users to expose their works).

I believe this way we will offer a better place for users to interact more and to organize themselves.

Thoughts?

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
7 hours ago, Guinho said:

Currently the design section serves only as a gallery. A design forum section is much more than just posting chat backgrounds.

This section has low activity because it has nothing new. What I propose is to restructure this section.

Add new sub-forums:

• Design Tutorials (graphic design, motion graphics, web design etc).
  • Design Support (new designers can get support with more experienced designers about chat backgrounds, css, psd's etc).
  • Useful Resources (for posting editable materials for study e.g psd's).
  • Galleries (for users to expose their works).

I believe this way we will offer a better place for users to interact more and to organize themselves.

Thoughts?

Good point Guinho.
Not only should chat background's integrate more material.
In my case I can put my resources used in each bg, covers for facebook, cinema 4D (editable) so that the user who wants to learn can have a varied material.
I can contribute my editable. If a user needs help he can always contact me and look for a way to guide him.
I will be making publications with resources and editable to start with the graphics.

• Advanced Members

It is possible to have more activity in the forum there are many designers.
It is only to implement a dynamic in which the staff can adapt their work and share it with others. Not only is it to make a gallery and put resources, you could put a section of questions and questions only referring to the graphics and the most experienced designers can give tips and possible solutions to the questions of the new designers.
Entering the world of design is not easy everything is a process (very long) and very tedious to manage.
Regarding tutorials it would be good to implement BASIC - INTERMEDIATE - ADVANCED.
It may vary depending on the program you are using.

• Advanced Members

Resources encompass tutorials.

Galleries encompass feedback requests.

Splitting the forum into 2 (let's not even imagine how much worse 4 would be) inactive subforums is a horrible idea.

It will not increase activity.

• Award 2

• zw featured this topic
  • Wiki Editors

Sorry that it took me so long to post; this fell off my radar.

Tried parsing through everything, but it's difficult to see where some of you stand.

Adding a poll to the main post -- please vote.

• Wiki Editors

Just to be clear, the second choice on the poll indicates that you want either one single mega-thread or that you want a mega-thread and some topics still stickied. I don't want any ambiguity, but it doesn't allow me to add more questions. I'm planning to dissect everyone's posts in here too, so the poll won't be the only measure of gathering opinions. (I realize it's easy to miss things on the forum and that users that have already posted may not be watching this topic too much)

Hopefully that's crystal now. I realize in retrospect that it wasn't phrased well.

As an aside, I'm hoping we'll have a verdict for you all soon.

• 1 month later...
  • zw unfeatured this topic