Single worded replies.

TinkerDoodle

• Advanced Members

I'm starting to see half-assed replies to topics for the sake of replying. I personally think these types of posts should be against the rules, like for example, replying to a topic with "lol" or "that's cool" or "ok", ect should be frowned upon. If the reply doesn't add to the conversation then it shouldn't be posted. The only exception can be the forum games. I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions on this. 

Thank you. 

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

Well I figured it was supposed to be considered as spam anyways. 

This always happens when post counts are reset. The race to see who can get the most is on. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I agree we can just count those useless replies as spam.

If it becomes official, add it to the guidelines as a rule so theres no arguing about it.

Example: "Posting a reply with less than 2 words is considered spamming and is not allowed". Substitute in the correct values in for 2 words. 

Forum Game section should be exempt from this rule, as it is for most spam rules, because for some games you only need to reply with one word (such as word association). 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

If it becomes official, add it to the guidelines as a rule so theres no arguing about it.

Example: "Posting a reply with less than 2 words is considered spamming and is not allowed". Substitute in the correct values in for 2 words. 

Forum Game section should be exempt from this rule, as it is for most spam rules, because for some games you only need to reply with one word (such as word association). 

and yeah the forum game's posts are not counted.

This have to be clear in the forum rules so people would be aware of this.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

A fix:

Use the like button.

People seem to forget there is a like button. On the old forum, people always say "There should be a like button!", and now, people (who post "^this" or "i like it") disregard it.

• Award 2

• Volunteers
2 minutes ago, Mr.Guppy said:

A fix:

Use the like button.

People seem to forget there is a like button. On the old forum, people always say "There should be a like button!", and now, people (who post "^this" or "i like it") disregard it.

Yes however, after 6 likes, you aren't able to like anything else until another 24 hours. So, this limits to use the like button all the time. 

• Advanced Members
5 hours ago, Lemona said:

Yes however, after 6 likes, you aren't able to like anything else until another 24 hours. So, this limits to use the like button all the time. 

There wouldn't be a limit if users didn't constantly ask other users for reputation.

I suppose if you run out of reputation to give out, you can just give a reasonable and thoughtful reply instead!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
2 hours ago, Brandon said:

There wouldn't be a limit if users didn't constantly ask other users for reputation.

I suppose if you run out of reputation to give out, you can just give a reasonable and thoughtful reply instead!

Yeah I agree, its good to have a limit or everyone would just do like for like for reputation. This defeats the purpose of the like feature since some people would just like comments because its their friend etc. 

• Advanced Members

Old forums..it was considered spam.  It is a rule that should indeed be carried over.

I agree with the only relevant.  Some other things I see that typically annoy me is people reserving

spots for BG contests.  I see no need for this.  Most times these spots go unused. 

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Tina said:

Old forums..it was considered spam.  It is a rule that should indeed be carried over.

I agree with the only relevant.  Some other things I see that typically annoy me is people reserving

spots for BG contests.  I see no need for this.  Most times these spots go unused. 

It's so that they secure an early spot in the thread so more people will look at it.

I think.

• Advanced Members

lol that's cool :)

If these posts are considered spam, then 18 thousand people commenting "good luck" on every single contest post should be considered spam as well. Adds absolutely nothing to the discussion and is extremely annoying when you're trying to actually look for people entering the contest.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members
56 minutes ago, Steven said:

lol that's cool :)

If these posts are considered spam, then 18 thousand people commenting "good luck" on every single contest post should be considered spam as well. Adds absolutely nothing to the discussion and is extremely annoying when you're trying to actually look for people entering the contest.

As you may know, I've complain about this in the past, and many people actually supported this. That is absolutely ridiculous. The 'good luck' messages are 1-3 worded responses that should fall into rule with this, as well.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
43 minutes ago, Mr.Guppy said:

As you may know, I've complain about this in the past, and many people actually supported this. That is absolutely ridiculous. The 'good luck' messages are 1-3 worded responses that should fall into rule with this, as well.

I see no issues with saying good luck..

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Mr.Guppy said:

Yeah, I fail to see why anyone support it.

They are exactly the same as the messages everyone here is complaining about.

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

Yeah, I'm going to disagree. 

Im not for adding rules for the sake of adding rules, some people will post good luck just being polite and then have there post deleted or even warned about posting again, and then they will have a negative experience of our forum.

Instead we want to be welcoming. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
26 minutes ago, Cyan said:

Yeah, I'm going to disagree. 

Im not for adding rules for the sake of adding rules, some people will post good luck just being polite and then have there post deleted or even warned about posting again, and then they will have a negative experience of our forum.

Instead we want to be welcoming. 

Yeah, you are right there's nothing wrong with being polite! We shouldn't classify people who say this as people who are doing it for more posts. There's really no need to make a new rule about this and the forum should be open and welcoming to the people.

• Advanced Members

I see no issue with someone saying "Good luck everyone! I may be entering the contest, blablabla [INSERT STUFF RELEVANT TO THE THREAD]" every once in a while to actually show they have interest in the thread's topic. Simply saying "Good luck!" in 2903849082 contest threads is obviously ridiculous, as they are most likely attempting to gain a high post count, or sucking up for some particular reason. As well as this, it provides NO relevance to the actual thread.

I think someone saying "Good luck" repeatedly in threads should be considered spam, but adding actual relevance to the thread as well as saying good luck should not be considered spam.

If this were to happen, which I can assume would be prevalent for newer users, we have the duty as forum members to remind them via some sort of message that they should NOT be posting "Good luck!" "Have fun!" on every single contest thread in order to gain rep, a high post count or another stupid reasoning.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members
57 minutes ago, Mystic said:

Yeah, you are right there's nothing wrong with being polite! We shouldn't classify people who say this as people who are doing it for more posts. There's really no need to make a new rule about this and the forum should be open and welcoming to the people.

I'm sorry, but everyone and their mother commenting "good luck" is not really polite, it's just unnecessary.

If you were to tell any newcomer not to comment something useless and unimportant like this, and explain that billions of posts with the same message count as spam, they would understand and accept that if they were even somewhat reasonable. If they really were so polite and kind that they just needed to say "good luck" for a reason other than increasing post count, they would also be polite and wise enough to realise that their post served no purpose and carry on without any hard feelings.

• Award 3

• Advanced Members

I'm confused. You guys are the same ones arguing that reputation is "just a number"; but when it comes to post counts "Good Luck" posts are only made to increase post counts? Isn't that just a number too? Why should it matter if its just a number? :d

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
On 3/12/2016 at 9:49 PM, Stah said:

I'm confused. You guys are the same ones arguing that reputation is "just a number"; but when it comes to post counts "Good Luck" posts are only made to increase post counts? Isn't that just a number too? Why should it matter if its just a number? :d

Personally I don't care for the reputation system, this isn't reddit, I don't know why we're trying to be reddit, but whatever, I'll work it is. People get ticked off by seeing pointless replies because it's just a waste of space and this forum will be fine without them, I don't see the problem in little regulation of what some of the things people say and how they respond.

On 3/11/2016 at 5:28 PM, Flake said:

I see no issue with someone saying "Good luck everyone! I may be entering the contest, blablabla [INSERT STUFF RELEVANT TO THE THREAD]" every once in a while to actually show they have interest in the thread's topic. Simply saying "Good luck!" in 2903849082 contest threads is obviously ridiculous, as they are most likely attempting to gain a high post count, or sucking up for some particular reason. As well as this, it provides NO relevance to the actual thread.

I think someone saying "Good luck" repeatedly in threads should be considered spam, but adding actual relevance to the thread as well as saying good luck should not be considered spam.

This I agree with, replies that are actually thought out and relevant should be allowed. As long as it's not the same exact reply in every single contest thread, then that's just spam in my opinion. I don't see what the problem in saying "Good luck....ect" is. However, it's up to the Mods and staff to decide what is considered clutter and what not.

• Advanced Members
On 12/03/2016 at 9:49 PM, Stah said:

Because it clutters the threads that we make, and we make them for contest entries,  not to read "good luck" x100. 

Those arguing that reputation is just a number are not the same people posting good luck on every thread created ever. 

• Award 1