Showcase of designs

• Game Makers

Your designs looks good, however the template looks very similar to Mike's work, and then some of your other designs look like N (Jay's) work as well. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but perhaps you could try doing something a bit more different. 

Don't take this the wrong way either, but maybe try creating your own template and come out of your comfort zone when designing. 

I'm just giving you some feedback to your work. 

Nice to see you on the forum too, Troy. 

• Award 2
  • Advanced Members
22 hours ago, Agony said:

All of my avatars are here. They are free to use for everyone. 

Why do I get the feeling you like Code Geass :$ 

All of your work is nice, but it seems to follow a similar style. Try to experiment with different colour schemes, specially a more brighter colour scheme. As Maverick said, you should try to come out of your comfort zone when designing.

• Award 4
  • Members
4 hours ago, CommanderCSY said:

I don't consider myself great in any way so take my opinion with a grain of salt haha.

There's obvious, impressive progression throughout the chronological showcase of your BGs. I'm not a big fan of the template but I guess it suits your darker style so no major complaint there. Your earlier work (i presume), looked like textures overlayed on dark colors with a render slapped on top which I wasn't really a fan of, such as this one

2ia50mh.jpg

However like I mentioned, there's quite obvious improvements and i'm actually a fan of something like this o9n8ro.jpg 

Comparatively much more minimalist in terms of background to your other designs with what i consider to be very effective text and a recolored render that helps draw emphasis without taking too much from it. 

Then we go to the animated BGs... which I believe suits the complex textured bgs quite well in terms of contrast (so basically the overlays work here or maybe ya just got better xD). The style works, the animations are simple enough but most importantly they're, for the most part, effective. What I mean is something like this

3bda092ba60b4fd3a9ae33df8edd6121.png

The guy is pointing up, the flares are going up. The flow works and I don't feel like its out of place/forced like a lot of the other stuff I see. I'm not a big fan of most of the text styles though (such as http://i.imgur.com/5oKIIbF.gif - its quite hard to make out what is written actually)

Then we go onto the xatspaces... which I can only presume is your latest work. The text styles have significantly improved from the BGs. I am a big fan of the shapes and honestly I don't have much criticism for your work there. Everything fits well. Good work.

Final comments:

You obviously searched for a style that works for you and found it. If you want to expand your expertise or develop new skills, I would agree with some of the comments above in terms of trying out lighter colors. Or try focusing a BG around text because there's not always a render or theme for you to use (As in use text as the centerpiece, not just an accompaniment). I think whilst every designer should have their own style, experimenting and varying stuff can ultimately help develop new ideas.

A lot of good work here though, keep it up.

A +

• Award 2
  • Members
8 hours ago, CommanderCSY said:

I don't consider myself great in any way so take my opinion with a grain of salt haha.

There's obvious, impressive progression throughout the chronological showcase of your BGs. I'm not a big fan of the template but I guess it suits your darker style so no major complaint there. Your earlier work (i presume), looked like textures overlayed on dark colors with a render slapped on top which I wasn't really a fan of, such as this one

2ia50mh.jpg

However like I mentioned, there's quite obvious improvements and i'm actually a fan of something like this o9n8ro.jpg 

Comparatively much more minimalist in terms of background to your other designs with what i consider to be very effective text and a recolored render that helps draw emphasis without taking too much from it. 

Then we go to the animated BGs... which I believe suits the complex textured bgs quite well in terms of contrast (so basically the overlays work here or maybe ya just got better xD). The style works, the animations are simple enough but most importantly they're, for the most part, effective. What I mean is something like this

3bda092ba60b4fd3a9ae33df8edd6121.png

The guy is pointing up, the flares are going up. The flow works and I don't feel like its out of place/forced like a lot of the other stuff I see. I'm not a big fan of most of the text styles though (such as http://i.imgur.com/5oKIIbF.gif - its quite hard to make out what is written actually)

Then we go onto the xatspaces... which I can only presume is your latest work. The text styles have significantly improved from the BGs. I am a big fan of the shapes and honestly I don't have much criticism for your work there. Everything fits well. Good work.

Final comments:

You obviously searched for a style that works for you and found it. If you want to expand your expertise or develop new skills, I would agree with some of the comments above in terms of trying out lighter colors. Or try focusing a BG around text because there's not always a render or theme for you to use (As in use text as the centerpiece, not just an accompaniment). I think whilst every designer should have their own style, experimenting and varying stuff can ultimately help develop new ideas.

A lot of good work here though, keep it up.

Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...