Adblocking

Communism

• Advanced Members

For all of you Internet Explorer users, "adblockers" are browser plugins that remove all advertisements on the web. They have become exponentially more popular in the last few years, and I think the significance of their use is kinda complicated.

Of course these tools are great for stopping intrusive and deceptive advertisements, but they also starve legitimate content creators of money that they've earned for their work. Do we really have an obligation to view them though? Sites can throw advertisements at us, but there's no law that requires us to display them (as I've heard said before, the internet is fundamentally a "pull", not a "push", medium). In fact, if you think advertisers demanding your time is unethical, maybe you have a very good reason to sidestep them. What's the end game of all this though? If advertising stops being a viable revenue model, then creators may have to rely more on premium content, and I honestly think that's a worse alternative.

What do you all think?

• Award 1

• Volunteers

Apologies if this opinion sounds crass and narrow-minded, but I couldn't care less if the company is losing money - adverts are ANNOYING AS HELL, and, if given the choice, I'd disable them 1000/1000 times. I've NEVER wanted to buy anything being thrown in my face. If anything, I'd probably want to buy the product less just to spite them. Fair enough if the adverts are 5 seconds long with the option to skip, but otherwise it's 30 seconds+ of my life wasted. Adblock for life.

The only exception I'd make is the Xat banner with the power release times on it, but I wouldn't treat that as a typical advertisement.

What do others think?

• Advanced Members

I find it ok when (serious) companies use advertising to a certain extent, but most of the time its just excessive, so i use an addblock tool. Some page advertisings are just annoying, e.g. when you get linked from facebook or when you watch online streams. I also use it for security reasons, for example it's likely that a more inexperienced person becomes an easy prey(e.g. kids).

And btw, Opera (Browser) is going to release a version with an inbuilt addblock function, which is just awesome.

• Advanced Members

Use Adblock and see annoying advertisements, or cause websites/companies to lose money because you chose to block them?

There is no right answer, you have to decide for yourself. 

I personally don't use Adblock, I've learned to ignore useless advertisements and never to click on them. Why not let the websites I use make a little bit of money from me using them?

• Award 1

• Members
On 3/11/2016 at 9:07 PM, Harrison said:

Use Adblock and see annoying advertisements, or cause websites/companies to lose money because you chose to block them?

There is no right answer, you have to decide for yourself. 

I personally don't use Adblock, I've learned to ignore useless advertisements and never to click on them. Why not let the websites I use make a little bit of money from me using them?

Do ad blockers block youtube video ads that you have to watch before you can see your video?

Edited by LuckyJack

• Volunteers
21 minutes ago, LuckyJack said:

Do ad blockers block youtube video ads that you have to watch before you can see your video?

Yes, they block those YouTube ads. Unfortunately, my university computers don't have adblock, and I always have to sit through 30 second Sainsbury's adverts (one of which is an interactive one that I can't even click off -- it just loops round until you refresh, and then another ad starts playing). (rolleyes)

• Advanced Members
4 hours ago, Elie said:

If the site has annoying popup ads and makes me lag (usually trashy sites) I'll enable it.

I also use the white list feature for YouTube.

Exactly this, sometimes ads can be so annoying and irritating you have no choice but to block them. If you feel guilty about not getting the people you support some revenue then just white list some sites. It's there for a reason.