Offmode

IlustreConvidado

• Advanced Members

it is not spying but appear offline to certain people who are sometimes a bit boring , but we do not want to ignore , but as I said it was just an idea, because in every community I know there is a possibility of status change online , has some examples as skype , facebook, msn old , so ... was even a mere suggestion

• Volunteers
4 hours ago, IlustreConvidado said:

it is not spying but appear offline to certain people who are sometimes a bit boring , but we do not want to ignore , but as I said it was just an idea, because in every community I know there is a possibility of status change online , has some examples as skype , facebook, msn old , so ... was even a mere suggestion

I really like this idea, for the reasons you mentioned. I have the 'offline' option enabled on all of these services, and genuinely think it improves the experience. Firstly, it avoids the ridicule of "You're ALWAYS online, you're really sad and you have no life", which is a game changer for me. It sounds silly, but if you see someone who is ALWAYS online, you're going to make judgements about their lives, and their life choices, whether consciously doing it or not. This is the reason I only come online a few hours a day, if at all.

Secondly, it's nice to just chill out and observe sometimes, without being involved and bombarded with private chats. As a student who spends almost all of his day working and studying in complete isolation, which is lonely as hell, it's nice to leave a chat open sometimes without being completely distracted. It makes it seem like I'm still connected to the real world. Yes, arguably you could make another account if you wanted to do that, but then you'd lose the prestige of your main account, and however much you paid for it. Also, people might start asking "Why aren't you on your main ID?", and then you'd have to take the time to explain / justify yourself, and then they'd have to add you on multiple accounts, clogging up their friends list, and they'd obviously know you're trying to stay undercover / potentially avoiding people, which can be demeaning. You can obviously dispute these points, and please do, but these are my beliefs, having been on-and-off Xat since 2007.

In summary, other similar services have the 'offline mode' for a reason. It improves the service, and users obviously enjoy it, otherwise they wouldn't have it. Ultimately, if the 'offline mode' was a thing, there's no doubt I'd be on Xat MUCH more often, as I am sure many other people would. Good suggestion, Ilustre.

• Advanced Members

42 minutes ago, Crow said:

I really like this idea, for the reasons you mentioned. I have the 'offline' option enabled on all of these services, and genuinely think it improves the experience. Firstly, it avoids the ridicule of "You're ALWAYS online, you're really sad and you have no life", which is a game changer for me. It sounds silly, but if you see someone who is ALWAYS online, you're going to make judgements about their lives, and their life choices, whether consciously doing it or not. This is the reason I only come online a few hours a day, if at all.

Secondly, it's nice to just chill out and observe sometimes, without being involved and bombarded with private chats. As a student who spends almost all of his day working and studying in complete isolation, which is lonely as hell, it's nice to leave a chat open sometimes without being completely distracted. It makes it seem like I'm still connected to the real world. Yes, arguably you could make another account if you wanted to do that, but then you'd lose the prestige of your main account, and however much you paid for it. Also, people might start asking "Why aren't you on your main ID?", and then you'd have to take the time to explain / justify yourself, and then they'd have to add you on multiple accounts, clogging up their friends list, and they'd obviously know you're trying to stay undercover / potentially avoiding people, which can be demeaning. You can obviously dispute these points, and please do, but these are my beliefs, having been on-and-off Xat since 2007.

In summary, other similar services have the 'offline mode' for a reason. It improves the service, and users obviously enjoy it, otherwise they wouldn't have it. Ultimately, if the 'offline mode' was a thing, there's no doubt I'd be on Xat MUCH more often, as I am sure many other people would. Good suggestion, Ilustre.

Thank you for your comment crow finally someone understood the usefulness of a power of this kind

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, Crow said:

You wrote all this for nothing. Other services have offline mode because chatting is an add-on for their services. Facebook for example has 100 other things you can do. xat is a chat, if you don't want to chat, then don't come online.

• Volunteers
21 hours ago, Stah said:

You wrote all this for nothing.

Adding another perspective is never a waste of time. Presumably that's why people read these threads, otherwise they'd all be empty. =P

21 hours ago, Stah said:

Other services have offline mode because chatting is an add-on for their services. Facebook for example has 100 other things you can do.

Regardless of whether or not chatting is only an add-on (though this is very debatable for MSN), posting comments and chatting is 95% of what I and a lot of other people do (those who aren't taking selfies every 10 minutes, anyway).

It's my opinion that the 'offline' option would be beneficial despite how big the chatting side of the service is. Again, this will be debated. These providers, MSN, Xaters, Skype, etc., clearly think the 'offline' option is beneficial to have on their chat and website as a whole. And these are MASSIVE services, so they know what they're doing. Fair enough if different rules apply to Xat - I won't contest that. But would the same users that have the offline box frequently ticked on MSN, Xaters, Skype, etc. also have this offline box ticked on Xat? I think potentially they would, because they know the benefits of it.

21 hours ago, Stah said:

xat is a chat, if you don't want to chat, then don't come online.

I've already addressed this in my original post. 1) The negative stigma that comes from sitting online a lot; 2) It's nice to watch the chat peacefully without getting potentially time-consuming / distracting private messages from friends. Yes, you could say 'don't come online', but sometimes I and many others enjoy chatting peacefully, away from the everyday commotion. It fills that void of loneliness - having that social interaction, of not being completely alone, but while still remaining uncommitted. My example is if I have hours of work to do. The 'offline mode' allows you to observe things without engaging in distracting conversations. Yes, you could say 'Don't come online, just do the work', but again, it fills that void of feeling alone and isolated. It takes the edge off. Here's another example: imagine if you're watching a movie, but don't want friends private messaging you. You could say 'Don't come online, just watch the movie', but again, it makes you feel like you're not alone. Why do people go on Xat? Not only to talk to friends, but also for social interaction. 'Offline mode' allows its users to do this in peace.

Let's get this straight. There IS a valid reason to add the 'offline' mode to Xat. Let's not dismiss this as a nonsensical waste of time, because that would be wrong, The question is whether or not it'd be a good decision, and whether or not it would improve Xat. If not, fair enough, but it's something worth debating.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Often I'm just reading the conversations to abstract me from reality, but do not intend to be disturbed because I'm busy with my work, I think the offline mode could not be useful for all but sure would not be detrimental to anyone, sure all may not agree with the placement of this "offmode" but we have to be minimally rational and think a little, because we do not want only what pleases us, because we are not all equal, not all have the same ideologies, but all have right to make a suggestion that may not be useful for everyone, but is beneficial for some! sorry if I made some mistakes in English but I am using the translator