Highlighter

Elea
Message added by LaFleur

This has been added with the (mark) power.

More info: https://xat.wiki/mark

• Volunteers

Excellent suggestion. Twitch uses a similar system and that would be a real improvement for xat.

Although I'm afraid you would need to use another letter than h, right now I assume /h would be taken as a hush.

EDIT: Maybe the h letter isn't even an issue though.

• Advanced Members
14 minutes ago, Sydno said:

Excellent suggestion. Twitch uses a similar system and that would be a real improvement for xat.

Although I'm afraid you would need to use another letter than h, right now I assume /h would be taken as a hush.

I didn't even know this feature existed on Twitch, I had this idea for quite a long time now. I use a highlighter extension for my searches on the web, and I thought why not such a feature on xat. And for the command, as /h is already taken by the hush power, we could use /hf instead or even something else.

• Advanced Members
15 minutes ago, Techy said:

i have one small issue, what is gonna stop people from highlighting a whole paragraph??

This is for a personnal use, other users won't see what you are highlighting. Plus, the goal isn't to highlight a whole paragraph but kay words, you can refer to the examples above.

I love this idea, I really think we need this added to xat. It would be such an usefull feature!

Edited by Anar
  • Award 1

• Advanced Members

This would work well alongside an @ feature where you can mention a user (using their regname) and it sends them an alert noise that can't be muted if you have the user added. Together these would make a cool new feature and keep xat moving with the times. I wouldn't support this being a power, should be available to all. 

• Advanced Members
On 18/1/2017 at 10:00 AM, Techy said:

i have one small issue, what is gonna stop people from highlighting a whole paragraph??

Maybe if the power only allows one word per paragraph at most to be highlighted.

Edited by Kayzar

• Members

Well it would be better if it can work something like

My Message /htMY_HIGHLIGHTED_TEXT and other text  more....

for make specific text highlight on a pera graph or something like 

My Message  /hf My highlighted text hf/ and other text more...

or only first word can be highlighted

• Advanced Members
3 hours ago, Techy said:

this will defeat the purpose of the power if other people cant see it

Her example included highlighting the word "days" to search for people buying or selling days. Not everyone is searching for days to buy or sell. It still has a purpose, similar to Nick, where you give permanent(ish) names to indecisive people.

• Advanced Members
6 hours ago, Techy said:

this will defeat the purpose of the power if other people cant see it

Its like the search function (ctrl + f) from the browser, makes your life easier. It'd just be adapted to the chat, detecting words from the ongoing chat too.

While I can think of some scenarios where it could be useful to make you're own text highlighted and visible for others, e.g. with contests, when you're the host. But i suppose it doesn't really matter.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Members
Just now, Admin said:

only you can see this ?

Yes, only you. Its just in order to highlight specific things, that should grab your attention. Its really a cool feature, that would be used, especially in trade.

• Award 2