Is the downvote really necessary in the General Support forum?

Lemona
Message added by LaFleur

The downvote has been removed from General Support.

• Advanced Members

You can put it in one of two ways, discouraging people from answering OR encouraging them to give more accurate and concise answers. I mean, questions are getting answered and we don't even need to encourage more people to join in. 

I dont see a problem if it stops people from posting irrelevant information (here's the buy page) and makes them think "OK, the accepted answer was short and sweet and answered the question - this is how I should answer".

The main goal is to give the user the correct and best help, and I agree that information about resellers could have been helpful however it was presented in the wrong way. The system doesn't care for all your feelings, only that the user is satisfied.

You may aswell argue that a volunteer shouldn't mark a best answer because they're disapproving of the rest and my feelings are hurt because of it. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

You need to realise that this thread is not about me, Finna, or anyone else. If you provide a good amount of information that is correct, it should not be down-voted. If you do not like the response, your opinion, but it's the support section, it isn't looking for opinions, it's looking for answers.

It doesn't matter if it's made best answer or not, down voting looks completely unprofessional and does not belong in the support section. The forum is like a quick ticket (without the power of vols, paid users, etc) but in ticket we don't have a down-vote section where we can review the each others questions and answers. Incorrect answers deleted, best answer chosen (based on if you know the user, their history, etc doesn't matter at this point). This way all answers are right. This would, however, add more work to vols/forum mods to PM the user with the incorrect answer and why they were wrong. 

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You can put it in one of two ways, discouraging people from answering OR encouraging them to give more accurate and concise answers. I mean, questions are getting answered and we don't even need to encourage more people to join in. 

I dont see a problem if it stops people from posting irrelevant information (here's the buy page) and makes them think "OK, the accepted answer was short and sweet and answered the question - this is how I should answer".

The main goal is to give the user the correct and best help, and I agree that information about resellers could have been helpful however it was presented in the wrong way. The system doesn't care for all your feelings, only that the user is satisfied.

You may aswell argue that a volunteer shouldn't mark a best answer because they're disapproving of the rest and my feelings are hurt because of it. 

This I can agree on as it will help users be more detailed with their responses to questions and issues the user may be asking. While some short and straight to the point answers can be helpful sometimes a slightly bit more detail can also be better rather than rushing to a response out before anyone else. 

I can see where you are coming from about the volunteers marking the best answer but I guess it's just trying to find a balance and some people will approve and disapprove no matter what system is in place but yeah all in all I can see how the mark down answer could work but will just have to see how it turns out in the long run but I personally don't like it and would prefer to just stick with the mark up feature. :)

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
11 minutes ago, tan said:

You need to realise that this thread is not about me, Finna, or anyone else. If you provide a good amount of information that is correct, it should not be down-voted. If you do not like the response, your opinion, but it's the support section, it isn't looking for opinions, it's looking for answers.

Yes, yes it is. You're all feeling a little down because you got downvoted. SJBB didn't make a thread, nor the other user. Lemona, friends with tanner make it. Had it been anyone else I'm sure no one would say anything. 

Good job, you showed the user where the buy page is. Doesn't answer the question.  -1. End of story. 

Improve your answers and they will not be downvoted. 

Just because your answers were sitting at 0 before now they're at -3 doesn't make them any better or worse. Now you know the quality of your answer(s) is poor and you should improve them.

Ive expressed my opinion on this and that's all I have left to say. If downvoting is kept, I will continue to downvote any answers that I personally do not believe answer the question. If it is removed I will continue to disapprove of the answer in private. 

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, tan said:

If you do not like the response, your opinion, but it's the support section, it isn't looking for opinions, it's looking for answers.

Then let's disable the upvote button too, since users can't give their opinion on which answer was better than another.

Take the downvote button as a learning method. If you don't want your answers to be downvoted, learn from their mistakes and avoid making them again.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Instead of downvoted users who tried to help users, you can maybe educate them?

You can't be the best helper the first day you are trying to help users.

Downvote button is the wrong way to go, if you are telling new helpers they are bad, they won't help anymore. that's not good.

And it's YOUR JOB, to senior helpers to help newbies to send the good answer.

• Award 5

• Advanced Members
19 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Downvote button is the wrong way to go, if you are telling new helpers they are bad, they won't help anymore. that's not good.

The Downvote button is a good way to tell helpers when their answer is wrong. How else are they supposed to learn? Free star stickers for everyone?

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

You could say down voting is the same as getting 0 votes - if you don't get any up votes, you might put more thought into future posts.

However, I understand both sides of the debate. There are pros and cons that come with what each side thinks.

with down vote

pros:

may encourage the user to put more thought into future responses

user could hide the post instead of getting deleted if the question has already been answered

cons:

may discourage the user from helping in the future

doesn't look visually pleasing (to me at least)

without down vote

pros:

users won't feel belittled when their answer isn't the best

people can still up vote the more informative answers

cons:

users may not hide their post causing a volunteer to delete it & give a warning

However, instead of giving warnings, you can provide sufficient information to the user regarding the topic of what the question was about/how they could've helped better.

(obviously warnings will be given out at a volunteers descretion when necessary)

To be quite honest, it doesn't matter which way the tree falls. At the end of the day the user will get the help they needed which is the main point all in all, right? Volunteers brought it back for a reason and we may have to see how it goes. We're all just looking to make a better community.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
20 minutes ago, shake said:

The Downvote button is a good way to tell helpers when their answer is wrong. How else are they supposed to learn? Free star stickers for everyone?

060.png

• Award 5

• Volunteers
1 hour ago, Jedi said:

It's exactly that. The downvote button may be abused even if the answer is "correct" just because it's a better one than the guy answer who clicked the downvote button.

Giving a warning because the answer isn't correct will not help the user to improve his next answers. It will reduce his pleasure to help the users on the forum and it's how (in same time), we don't have much users on the forum because of this thing. Well It's not here since long time, but when it's here, we don't have much of them on here.

I agree sometimes, the answers aren't correct, but it's not a reason to downvote a comment because it's not what you was waiting for. If you really think, it's out of the thread, there you can click this downvote button to tell the person, he's out of thread, otherwise it would be called "abusing" the power of the downvote button.

The question is : Instead, why not just help them to improve their next answers for a better answer by teaching them of to build their answer ?

That's why, we don't need this "downvote" button on here. It's like on facebook; If you don't like an answer, you ignore it otherwise you like it.

• Award 2

• Volunteers
2 hours ago, SJBB said:

I agree with Finna. The question may have already been answered but if I can speak for a reseller to say that I have bought from them before and I would recommend them. If a user recommends said that to me then I would appreciate their advice. 

Expect to be downvoted if you suggest people to buy xats from unofficial and not supported sources, especially if the topic itself as nothing to do with it. Maybe you would appreciate as a user but try to look at the bigger picture: imagine you manage a gym club and a new user comes and asks information, suddenly, someone else arrives and suggests the new customer to subscribe to another gym club that does not even have a pro licence, how would you react?

Buying from resellers isn't a payment method and if a wiki page was made, it only is for avoiding users to be scammed and referencing resellers that have been selling xats without problems for a long time.

However, if you decided to buy xats from a listed reseller and you want others' opinion, feel free to open a thread in the General Discussion section.

About the thread itself, I don't think the downvote system is totally discouraging users. If I were a motivated user there being downvoted, I would try and look at the marked answers and try something similar. Most of the time, the fastest correct answer is marked so everyone has a chance. There, people need Help, think about them before thinking about your answer being marked, though.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

The down vote reminds me of lets hold the college kids hand because he can not cope because he got "retakes" in highschool.

Lets downvote the user to try harder and do better next time and praise those with the macros. Lets give test powers to "Tink" because 

he can copy and paste faster then anyone and took an hour to copy someones good answers onto an excel spreadsheet to later have that

best answer here. Lets downvote "Lemona" because she really wanted to try to help but did not make as much sense because she is from Canada and

French is her first language. 

Honestly...what happened to removing any wrong answers and moving on.  This forum is more about rewarding or punishing a user

and rules verse the users of xat opinion of honesty or self worth.

• Award 4

• Advanced Members

Why is removing the answers any better? Instead of complaining about being downvoted people will (and did) complain about their answers being deleted.

I certainly don't have macros or forum answers. I think that phase is over. All answers should be tailored to the case at hand.

Test powers are hardly given out on the forum, so it's not downvoting for that either.

Nothing should motivate you more than trying to improve. Downvotes show you that you need to improve. If you're embarrassed, hide your reply. 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members

I will try to be clear here. The moral of the story is that posting an answer that's already been posted, adding miniscule details (for example, linking to the buy page, something that I guarantee essentially everyone who knows about the forum knows about), and then complaining when you aren't marked best answer despite yours having more detail is just a waste of everyone's time. 

I understand people want to try to earn ranks or recognition but this is not the way to go about it and there were several people doing it more and more, so downvotes were added to combat that. 

I'll ask again: is deleting posts that do this a more acceptable way of handling it? 

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, Steven said:

I will try to be clear here. The moral of the story is that posting an answer that's already been posted, adding miniscule details (for example, linking to the buy page, something that I guarantee essentially everyone who knows about the forum knows about), and then complaining when you aren't marked best answer despite yours having more detail is just a waste of everyone's time. 

I understand people want to try to earn ranks or recognition but this is not the way to go about it and there were several people doing it more and more, so downvotes were added to combat that. 

I'll ask again: is deleting posts that do this a more acceptable way of handling it? 

Both of your solutions are bad actually.

The best would be to correct others answers. Instead on downvote and/or delete posts.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The best would be to correct others answers. Instead on downvote and/or delete posts.

Keeping the thread with incorrect/incomplete answers with the same votes or without? You can easily correct the answers by making them know they are lacking information or just incorrect.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Isn't the idea of that section to help people who ask for it? Not to provide help to people who think they know the answer when they actually don't eh

• Award 2

• Advanced Members
4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The accepted answer is the correct answer - learn from it.

3 minutes ago, shake said:

Keeping the thread with incorrect/incomplete answers with the same votes or without? You can easily correct the answers by making them know they are lacking information or just incorrect.

1 minute ago, Karl said:

Isn't the idea of that section to help people who ask for it? Not to provide help to people who think they know the answer when they actually don't eh

Let's delete all posts and warn users for giving false info!

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

Or just let people who actually know what they're talking about answer and not have someone who knows 8 words of english answer giving them false help which just complicates things even more eh

• Advanced Members
10 minutes ago, tan said:

I reply that if he lost both his e-mail password and xat account password to his original acc, he should not waste time making a ticket unless he can recover the credentials to his e-mail.

This is false. good day.

read the accepted and correct answer by clicking on this link.

• Award 4