Short name trading

ider

• Advanced Members

You can always buy a shortname from a user if he is OK to delete his account (you would certainly have to pay him for that). Of course, you'll have to open a ticket to get the shortname unblocked.

I don't see another possible way to buy a shortname from somebody...

• Advanced Members
1 minute ago, Anar said:

You can always buy a shortname from a userif he is OK to delete his account (you would certainly have to pay him for that). Of course, you'll have to open a ticket to get the shortname unblocked.

I don't see another possible way to buy a shortname from somebody...

i can not because i wanted to buy an account and they told me that is not permited.

• Volunteers

I agree with Anar, although they don't necessarily have to delete their account. 

When I bought Four, Light and Darkness, I asked the other person to change / overwrite their name to a free 10-letter one (instead of deleting their entire account). Then I asked a volunteer to unlock the name for me straight away, so nobody would swoop in and steal it. Once I obtained the name, that's when I paid them (although other people may not be so trusting, and it may be safer to use a middleman, who would hold the xats).

It's still a risky process though, and lots can go wrong. Volunteers may not be so generous with everyone (unlocking names straight away) and shortnames can be way more expensive than people realise (especially when you factor in store prices too). If it does go wrong, and you lose say 100k, you won't receive a refund either.

Basically, I'd love a proper system in place. It would make our lives easier, and make the process safer (although it'll never happen).

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
42 minutes ago, Finna said:

I don't condone this because I just got scammed trying to buy short names from a user. Take my lesson as my advice to you.

if you noticed i said with middleman like IDs sales.

if you buy the account including email ofc u will get. now the way Crow say is ok i agree. (Y) 

• Advanced Members

I'd like to see a better way to trade shortnames. Right now, it's very risky and you can't always trust the volunteers either. Hi, Maverick. Rida, you there too?

It is also a long and complex process, because you must first delete the account or change the regname, then open a ticket (which can take many days to be answered because half of the volunteers are useless), and hope that no one bought the shortname before you when it's re-released in the store.

I hope this is fixed someday, because this could help xat for the better.

• Volunteers

Let's imagine a system where shortname selling becomes similar to ID selling (with middlemen and "shortname links", or whatever) and compare it to the current method:

+ Safer and much easier shortname selling (for both the buyer and seller)

+ No risk that somebody swoops and steals it

+ A whole new dimension to trading

+ 1 payment instead of 2 (no need to buy in store as well)

+ No need to pester volunteers for a quick unlock

- Do people even want a shortname economy? It could get messy

- People will buy shortnames in store and sell them for profit (although this could boost store sales for a short time)

- Inevitably, more trading = more scams

- 1 payment instead of 2 (less money for xat on these occasions)

- Less people will use the shortname store in the long run (though they'd be spending the same, if not more, money on Trade?)

I'm not sure about the financial implications overall.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members

I'll just write my comments next to what you said.

+ Safer and much easier shortname selling (for both the buyer and seller) Assuming there is a trusted middleman...

+ No risk that somebody swoops and steals it Assuming there is a trusted middleman...

+ A whole new dimension to trading Yes!

+ 1 payment instead of 2 (no need to buy in store as well) Xats will still circulate, isn't that the big idea?

+ No need to pester volunteers for a quick unlock Ding ding ding!

- Do people even want a shortname economy? It could get messy It really could, though. I'd like to see something on the xatspace that says 'Registered: M/D/YY' or something that can help tell you if the shortname has been sold. Ponder what can be done, alright?

- People will buy shortnames in store and sell them for profit (although this could boost store sales for a short time) Xats will still circulate, isn't that the big idea?

- Inevitably, more trading = more scams It won't always be proportional though.

- 1 payment instead of 2 (less money for xat on these occasions) Xats will still circulate, isn't that the big idea?

- Less people will use the shortname store in the long run (though they'd be spending the same, if not more, money on Trade?) Depends...

I think the most important thing to understand is that xat gets money from whoever purchases xats through the store, and having '1 payment instead of 2' is also easier, and therefore may be used more often, which counterintuitively will lead to more money for xat.

• Advanced Members

Not a very good idea, and this is coming from a person who desperately wanted an inactive short-name for years. If people register all the good shortnames, how is that going to be convenient for the users?

How are people going to search for the shortnames that they want? It's not like IDs, where you find a seller first, and then decide if you like any of the numbers they're selling. Shortnames are unique, you're not going to pick them out when you look at a sellers profile, you're going to be looking for a specific one, one that may be really hard to find if it was registered for the sole reason of selling it again.

And to add, what if the seller goes inactive with all the shortnames they've obtained, that's going to result in some messy work for xat, imagine how many tickets there are going to be when the ID isn't being sold and wasn't bought by a specific person.

• Award 1

• Advanced Members
18 minutes ago, tan said:

Not a very good idea, and this is coming from a person who desperately wanted an inactive short-name for years. If people register all the good shortnames, how is that going to be convenient for the users?

How are people going to search for the shortnames that they want? It's not like IDs, where you find a seller first, and then decide if you like any of the numbers they're selling. Shortnames are unique, you're not going to pick them out when you look at a sellers profile, you're going to be looking for a specific one, one that may be really hard to find if it was registered for the sole reason of selling it again.

And to add, what if the seller goes inactive with all the shortnames they've obtained, that's going to result in some messy work for xat, imagine how many tickets there are going to be when the ID isn't being sold and wasn't bought by a specific person.

That's what happens, no matter what. I think you're going too much into worst-case-scenarios, which are unlikely.

Remember, inactive shortnames can now be claimed, if that's what you may be forgetting.

• Advanced Members
9 minutes ago, DontPanic said:

That's what happens, no matter what. I think you're going too much into worst-case-scenarios, which are unlikely.

Remember, inactive shortnames can now be claimed, if that's what you may be forgetting.

Definitely not forgetting that, but still wouldn't be very convenient. The last thing volunteers need is a bunch of users submitting tickets because a seller registered the username they want and has gone inactive.

• Advanced Members
1 hour ago, tan said:

Definitely not forgetting that, but still wouldn't be very convenient. The last thing volunteers need is a bunch of users submitting tickets because a seller registered the username they want and has gone inactive.

I was going to say something, but I realized it wasn't a very solid argument.

The volunteers already took the burden of accepting ticket requests to unlock inactive shortnames, and this was when there were delays, especially in the locked out department, I believe. Since that has been somewhat solved, I think they can do a little bit more. I don't think they will be flooded with inactive shortname unlocks, but it's not going to be a graveyard-like department either.

Who knows if I will be right, but I did anticipate Maverick becoming volunteer, even when countless others said it wouldn't happen.

• Advanced Members
19 hours ago, tan said:

and this is coming from a person who desperately wanted an inactive short-name for years. If people register all the good shortnames, how is that going to be convenient for the users?

i really don't want inactive shortname the only one i want i have so it was just a suggestion....

12 hours ago, Lamingtons said:

I agree with this just because, when someone delete a shortname so the other side will need to send a ticket, will be more 1 month to unblock a shortname...

that is what i mean xLamin you have to wait for help but like the ids you wont do that.

• Advanced Members
On 31/12/2016 at 6:24 PM, ider said:

Se você percebeu que eu disse com o intermediário como vendas IDs.

Se você comprar a conta, incluindo e-mail ofc u vai ter. Agora a maneira que o corvo diz é aprovado eu concordo. (Y) 

I liked it, I agree with you kind to make an appropriate xat for the sale of short names and a good idea

• Award 1