LegendaryA

What does it take to have a successful chat?

I would like to say I have had a chat in the past which was very active & I made sure people followed rules on Promo. What can I do to have a chat successful as Trade or Help? Please help. Thank you for your time,

Regards Legendary~

I've moved your thread to General Discussions since it's more of a discussion than a support help, and there's various answers to this question of yours!

One of the most popular chats on xat (in terms of number of users present at one time) is popular because it was embedded on a website which gets a lot of views per day.

Help and Trade are popular, I think, because of their functions. 

• Award 1

4 hours ago, Crow said:

Here's what I discovered, from my experiences:

• Choose a chat theme and add a background, so it looks active.
  • Invite your friends (male and female, if possible), and build around that. Passing strangers are more likely to stay if the place looks alive. They might invite their own friends too, and so forth.
  • Welcome your guests, and treat them how you'd want to be treated yourself.
  • Be a happy and energetic main owner. Nobody likes a depressive moaner.
  • It's your responsibility to keep guests happy, and make sure they're not bored. If you're not active and talking, don't expect others to be. Keep the conversations going yourself, even if it's hard work.
  • Don't be selfish in conversation either - include others, so they feel welcome.
  • Be active at popular hours, or whenever your regular users are online. 
  • Don't expect to win against official chats. Official chats will always be more popular. Don't get mad if your guests are on multiple chats either.
  • Consider adding rules beneath the chat. Enforce them fairly, and treat everybody equally.
  • Consider assigning a bot, and other group powers (banpool, snakerace, supporter etc.).
  • Consider promoting your chat, but ask your regular users first. Not everybody likes it.
  • Never advertise your chat on other chats. That invites bad publicity. 
  • If the chat dies, don't give up - keep inviting friends, and repeat the cycle.

This exhaustive list is great for your question

The chat needs to have a specific purpose and/or satisfy current trends or popular games. Or, embedded onto a page that gets a lot of views per day. The main owner knowing people also helps the chat to gain popularity. An official chat will also almost always be active. These are the main points that most popular chats seem to follow.

I also think you should have the right staff too, you don't want to staff users just for the sake of it, staff users who you feel will continue the conversation when you're gone, who you know will enforce the rules when you're gone and help the chat grow. Don't staff someone just because they "may be popular". 

• Award 1